• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Re-doing my form, stand still putting, critique welcome.

Try this without a disc, standing in an athletic position(on toes, knees and hips bent, lowered center of gravity, and ready to move any direction), then bring the throwing shoulder down and back to your rear knee maintain the knee flex, your weight should be loaded/balanced on the rear leg to move back forward. The elbow should be over and back past the knee. Your rear glute will start to burn if you hold that right.

Yeah, it does. Makes sense, I'll do this drill before I throw next time.

I went out today. Sweating immediately, but I wanted to work on my pull. Instead, I ended up working on my timing, delaying the reach back. I think maybe because I was getting tired I developed this sort of faux Brinster hop to have the timing make sense. I lost a lot of other parts of my form while doing this, but I actually did manage to delay the reach back some of the time.

As I worked on this:

1. Reachback length suffered, but maybe for the better,
2. I noticed I need to bend my legs more BOTH in the plant foot AND the lead foot,
3. I still get tired and tilt back and forth with my spine. I have to work pretty hard to alleviate that, but I can when not tired and thinking about it,
4. My hips don't stay level, or at the same angle during the plant/weight transfer,

... on and on. Again, though, mostly working on fixing that terrible disc drag/timing.

I was on my Vectors, again, at the end (threw everything else) and I'm not sure if the timing was actually better or I just got lucky but the last throw in this video is the longest I've ever thrown a Vector, just shy of 340'

Last edited:
Your hop is a bit fast and forward, instead of more vertical and building acceleration. Because you hop forward so far you don't get as much acceleration late and able to turn back and really load your weight into the rear leg. Your hips don't stay level because of the leaning back and forth with your upper body. You also end up throwing from a split stance and not turned back very far. Your shoulders are also open quite a bit, not getting the elbow forward and releasing the lower arm more forward.

Yeah, lots went wrong.

I just feel like... if I don't correct the timing flaw where I'm dragging the disc, I'll never get my "hit" to be all at the same time. I feel like if I get my timing on reach back better, then I can re-adjust the rest of the stuff.

Next time out I'm going to also try the "x-step pump" that McBeth does and see if it helps me get my timing right without hopping.

Lots of players do the pump or pre swing.

Sure, I just meant... like I tried your style "drop from first step" pre-swing and the timing just didn't work for me. Avery and McBeth have more of a "pump" that I can try to time with the x-step and maybe it will click better for my brain.

Just remember it's an equal and opposite chain reaction. The disc doesn't really move much from the forward position, the body pivots around.

Yeah, the ol' Stokely axiom. ;) One of the few things from his videos that still kinda makes sense, backhand wise.

I went out and threw a couple times, so far, trying to add more flex in my rear leg while keeping my spine straight, and time my backswing better.

Unfortunately, I instantly lost a ton of snap, distance and control. :( I'm trying not to get depressed until I can go out and practice a couple more times.

Try keeping your non-throwing arm tucked and hand on the rear thigh during the throw.

Funny, I actually kind of started doing that on my own in practice today.

I was focused on two things:

1. Spine straight the whole way through, legs push separately and trying to get bend/horizontal push with the back leg.
2. Throwing shoulder low, no shrugging.

To keep my spine straight during run up, I was resting my left hand by my thigh, kind of like Marc, there.

Unfortunately I had no batteries in my cam, but I could feel a bit of the "hershiser" action on my back leg.

I gained a lot of my distance and precision back, while still feeling like I was getting more flex in the back leg and "stretching out" horizontally more, like the lead card video.

(Also, new record for me, threw a Wizard out to 320' dead straight. Just when I needed some cheering up...)

Really disappointed with the video of my field work, today. When I was taking smaller steps and trying to keep my body centered things were... OK, though my backswing suffered. As I got tired and my steps were longer, my timing on the backswing went to hell, I was dragging the disc, falling forward, spine tilting, etc.

* I think my hips still somehow open too early maybe?
* I still lean forward a bit in the throw
* Still need more flex in the back leg
* Still dragging the disc, even in this short stride video.

Reviewing the video today makes me want to just give up.

I think some of the problem is I'm having trouble thinking of the backswing and the plant as one motion, and mentally it's two separate processes. I think if I can wed it, a bit, it will be less awkward.

I also noticed it was a balancing act about how far out (to the left of my body) my final step goes. Too forward and not closed enough seems to contribute to being too open and the disc going wide right... too far away from the body and suddenly the momentum from the weight shift goes to the left, manifesting in pop-up hyzer shots.

I also think I need to bring back the pump. My timing on the backswing has regressed pretty fast and running through it, the pump kind of fixes that.

That is possibly the funniest face I've seen, stop trying to kill it! You aren't swinging from your hips. Loosen up the shoulder, widen up the arm in the backswing.

That is possibly the funniest face I've seen, stop trying to kill it!

Man, you should see other footage I've got! I always call my wife in to laugh at my stills. I'm pretty sexy during the throw.

You aren't swinging from your hips. Loosen up the shoulder, widen up the arm in the backswing.

Yeah, all good points. I start to strong arm a bit when I'm focusing too much on the footwork.

My priority list is to work on getting a bit more flex in the knee and get the timing of the backswing/hit right. Then I'll work on my pull through/upper body. Then I'll try to revisit my grip.

I don't think I can work on all of these at the same time, but then again, maybe I'm making a mistake trying to isolate one/two things at the same time? I dunno.

I consider them to be all related. That ^ hammer video is so for you.

Awesome........Is all I can say. Thanks so much for this thread/topic. Dan O. ,nailing the questions that`s on all our minds/ not always remembering where to start from & S.W. always spot on. Great video. Headed to G.B.O. Next week. Going to buy a dagger.....Hopefully this may be my distance putter. Nice job with your wizard. This is my weak point. Keep up the good work. I`m learning a lot in the back of the class. Thanks.:clap:

I consider them to be all related. That ^ hammer video is so for you.

Yeah, for sure. Believe it or not, I was a pitcher, too, until about age 16.

As always, I review my footage and am gutted, but after thinking a bit and this thread, I can't wait for tomorrow to try to get out and practice again.

@T_Short: Glad someone else is benefiting from my slow learning in this thread. ;)

Ugh. I think I might have to take a break from practice for a bit, I think I'm getting a repetitive injury motion in my elbow.

Ugh. I think I might have to take a break from practice for a bit, I think I'm getting a repetitive injury motion in my elbow.
Gripping too hard early will hurt the elbow and too much disconnect of the arm will as well. From you last video, you need to connect your arm/disc to your shoulder more so everything moves more together. Your shoulder is so far forward at your plant, there is little shoulder rotation for the throw(door frame drill). Breaks are good too, I usually start throwing further after taking a break. I'm out for awhile, tore my oblique and fractured a rib on a thumber last weekend. :|

Ugh. That sucks, man.

Yeah, I've been working on making the whole thing move together a la the heavy hammer drill you linked above. It's ... a little tough adjusting my muscle memory, so I'm going slow through the throw, not letting my arm fly out ahead.

It will be tough to keep myself from going out and throwing, but I just bought a mandolin, so maybe I can pour myself into that.