• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Recommended courses near downtown Minneapolis

gstenger

Bogey Member
I'm going to be in town for work for a couple of days early next week and I wanted to get some local's opinions about the best courses in the area to check out. I'll be staying in downtown Minneapolis. I'll probably only be able to bring a few discs with me and getting to the courses may depend on how much it would cost me to get to and from there using Uber. The new course at Acorn DGC looks interesting, but Wirth Par 3 looks to be the closest. It'll be my first time in that area.

Thanks!

Kaposia might not be super close to where you're at but IMHO its the best course that isn't BRP.

Thanks for the input. I may have to check out Kaposia. Have either of you played at Acorn DGC yet?

I don't live in the area anymore but I did for years. Acorn was my old home course, but I have no idea how the new layout is.

The new Acorn course has great baskets. Some of the holes are shorter with a lot of ace runs. I really didn't use my high speed drivers except for a few holes - So if you're limited on discs - a couple favorite mids and putter would get you through Acorn just fine.

From DT Minneapolis - Bryant Lake is about the same distance, and is my favorite course. BRP is great because it's 27 holes, but it's flat. Bryant has one of the most (if not the most) memorable holes you'll ever play and is all around great - landscaping, open, wooded, short, long, fun use of elevation and well worth the pay to play. Will not disappoint!

Not a local, but was just there three weeks ago, and Bryant Lake Park is a must see :thmbup:

Not the toughest course, but probably the most beautiful amenities I've ever seen. I plan to visit anytime I return to the Twin Cities.

I'd skip Kaposia if it were me. Bryant Lake and Hyland Ski and Snowboard are way better courses. They are maintained and offer some great views. Be advised they are pay to play, $5 each course. Basset Creek is a nice, free 15 hole course. Perfect course if you have limited amount of discs. A small 9 hole course right outside of downtown, Roseland, is also nice. Obviously if you can get to Blue Ribbon Pines, that is a must play. A bit of a drive from downtown though. Best of luck and I hope you enjoy Minneapolis/Minnesota. :thmbup:

You can take the bus to Wirth Par 3. Get off at the Chalet turnaround (end of the line, at the big golf course), walk under the cart path bridge 1000 feet south on Wirth Parkway.

If you're going to be driven, Acorn is the quickest to get to, and worth the trip.

You can take the bus to Wirth Par 3. Get off at the Chalet turnaround (end of the line, at the big golf course), walk under the cart path bridge 1000 feet south on Wirth Parkway.

If you're going to be driven, Acorn is the quickest to get to, and worth the trip.

I'm in the city now and it doesn't look like I'll be able to get to Acorn or Kaposia... BLP seems to be out of the question. I'll look into Wirth Par 3 when I get out of work later today.

FWIW, I brought a star destroyer, an F2, a star roc, and a kc pro aviar. Hopefully those will give me enough of a shot selection.

Thanks!

I'm in the city now and it doesn't look like I'll be able to get to Acorn or Kaposia... BLP seems to be out of the question. I'll look into Wirth Par 3 when I get out of work later today.

FWIW, I brought a star destroyer, an F2, a star roc, and a kc pro aviar. Hopefully those will give me enough of a shot selection.

Thanks!

where exactly in MPLS are you? what time are you out of work? wirth is definitely playable with just those discs.

where exactly in MPLS are you? what time are you out of work? wirth is definitely playable with just those discs.

Sorry I didn't get to respond. I had a busy couple of days, but I did actually make it there this evening after renting a bike from downtown to get within a mile or so from the course. I would have taken the bus, but I would have been done too late to get a bus back into the city.

It was actually a fun little course and the discs I had were really all I needed. I ended up shooting a 50 from the whites with 5 birdies and 1 bogey. Lots of people were out playing ball golf, but everyone was friendly enough. It was a little tough finding my way around some of the holes and I nearly lost my roc on 17 in all the overgrowth past the basket, but all in all I would play it again. I wish I had more time and a vehicle to check out the other courses, but maybe some other time. Gotta catch a flight back to Atlanta tomorrow afternoon.

Latest posts