• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Recommended disc's for RHFH?

NEPADISCJEFF

Recently I have turned to throwing a RHFH due to lack of distance with my back hand and it's a more natural motion for me since I played high school baseball and football. I would like to know what you use, type of angle put on the disc, weight and so on. I have been told the more overstable the better, but am not sure? I have only been playing for about 4 months off and on so maybe I'll play 10-20 days out of the month. I really have no preference to what company I use, I have both Innova and Discraft and have my likes for both, I would really like to hear about some other companies also, and this doesn't pertain to just driver's I would like to know about good mid-range for flicking as well, any help I can receive will be awesome!!! Thanks!!!!

Get a 170 champ teebird. It's overstable enough to mask your form flaws and help you get better distance, but not so overstable that it will teach you bad habits. Just focus on throwing it flat and letting the disc do the work.

Throw all the discs you used for backhand and see if you can make them work.

Most beginning forehand players with good natural power will use more overstable drivers than they would for the same kind of shot backhand, merely since they will be more easily controlled. There is also a tendency for forehanders to prefer flat topped discs. You may find neither of those to be true for yourself.

The key to forehand is not the discs you use. It is the form you use. Try to make every disc (driver, mid or putter) fly flat and straight at the beginning of its flight. Then watch how it finishes and use the disc for that kind of shot. Throw putters softly (think 100 foot distance), throw mids more firmly (think 200 foot distance) and throw drivers harder (300 and above). But Flat is the goal. Flat arm swing, flat wrist snap, flat follow through.

With practice you will learn how to make discs start flat and straight and stay in that flight path for longer distances until they bend based on their stability.

There are several youtube videos which teach the forehand shot. Watch them all and see which form works best for you. Most importantly try to find an experienced player to teach you. The biggest problem with teaching yourself is you cannot see yourself when you throw. But watch the flight of each disc. It will tell you what you did. The disc doesn't lie. If it hyzered out too quickly it is because you released it on a hyzer angle. If it flips over it is because you didn't release it flat enough (turning your wrist over too soon).

If you are like me and just love to get new discs to try then pick up: Firebird and Crush (overstable drivers), Teebird and Surge SS (straight drivers), Roc and Buzz (mids) and Aviar and Magnet (putters). I would pick out the flattest of each of these I could find.

dont go too overstable it will kill distance and you will develop bad form. go with a moderately overstable control driver. something like a starfire, crush, avenger. and also throw very slow the harder you throw the more that disc will wobble. personally i find that throwing a fh flat its difficult to keep the nose down i usually throw a anhyzer flex for distance and a hyzer flip for accuracy. once you get your form down the three best fh discs out there imo are destroyer, nuke, and boss with a honorable mention to the katanna.

my two cents

I FH a Destroyer, Flow, Firebird, FL and Striker. All max weight.

I agree with the teebird suggestion, overstable enough to not have it burn but not too crazy to mask all your flaws, try a 170 and maybe a 150, the light ones go and go with the right snap and arm speed. I have a bad fh but I can hit maybe 300 with a 157 tb.

Wizards also flick pretty well and the zone to for distances.

I throw primarily forehand so any disc in my signature works well. Note that they're all over the map in terms of stability. If you're only playing that few times a year, I would suggest you stick with Innova or Discraft since they're more readily available to replace.

For what it's worth, I started playing with a TeeBird and still carry one.

if you have the arm power and good mechanics.

discraft flick,avenger and less stable than turns easy wildcat
innova maxx,monster.firebird and less stable which can manipulate well.=teedevil/boss xg/flat groove

150 class flicks are $$ for forehand shots from standstill and utility and they can skip well

I'm all RHFH and my bag looks like this..

Groove
TeeRex
Wraith

Buzz

Wizard

I carry about 8 more clubs, but these are my go to. I used to have a leopard and a teebird, both of which I'll be replacing shortly.

The pro Wraith is a nice sidarm disc for me because I dont have to throw it at a steep angle to fly straight. Just throw it flat and it will do great

i am a forehander by comfort as well i try my hardest to backhand but it never does what i want it too so my bag has moved around alot withen my tenure but i have 90 percent of bag locked in now so heres what i got

5 teebirds all diffrent weights some are lighter for a real nice over stable shot that is to mask my short comings for not having a back hand ,i also have a heavy tl for a simple straight shot that can get a good skip

for long shots that are straight i have found the a 170 vulcan as a straight and narrow shot if i want a little turn over at the end i use a katana 167 or 168 i forget

midranges buzzz or wasp you know easy to flick pick what weight fits your arm strength best

long hyzer i use a 167-170 star destroyer but i have minimal power to mediocre if you ask me in arm strength hence the lower weight

i hope this helps if you got any more questions pm me

copy and pasting this since I believe its the best way to learn a reliable forehand.

Don't start learning to throw forehands by playing disc golf. Buy an ultimate disc and start by throwing forehands while playing catch. Then focus on throwing shots with anny, and hyzer, and straight, still just in friendly short-mid range catch. After that, then try it on the course.

Boss, firebird, x-calibur, monster, banshee, drone, destroyer, and if your disc spin speed is "low" try a wraith or a buzzz. Ulibarri flicks rocs like you wouldn't believe...

Last edited:
I drive almost exclusively FH since I have no distance with a BH. Z Flick & ESP Pulse as long as its flat topped. Any driver with a flat top seems to perform better for me.

I usually release the Flick or Pulse as flat as possible for a very straight shot with a hard fade at the end. These are both very overstable discs. If you release with a slight anny angle you'll get a sweet and unbelievably tight helix, great for straight tunnel shots. Both are also good for spike hyzers.

For me, forehand is all about plastic, not mold. With a forehand, I'm depending on the friction of the disc against my middle finger to provide me with my spin. The surface area that is touching the plastic is less than with a backhand power grip. Additionally, there's no pinching of the pressure points that are powering the disc like with a backhand grip, which limits snap. It's that first knuckle of the middle finger vs. the world. So I like plastic with tack and friction, to get as much out of that small point contact as possible.

Opto, Evolution HPP by Gateway and Innova R-Pro for driving putters are my three favorite plastics for forehands. Opto is much grippier than Champion or Z plastic in a similar style and level of durability. Evolution is a step down from Opto in terms of grip, but it's still good if inconsistent. R-Pro is my favorite plastic to throw forehand, really. Just sticks to that bone in the middle finger without being overly floppy and is easy to get lots of spin on.

Worst plastic for me forehand is base plastic like DX. Just too smooth to get good friction/spin.