• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Redding and Northern CA, June 28 to July 8, 2013

So, how much of a factor is wind there?

On a scale from 1-5 it can be a 1-5.

Totally depends.

Granted I've only lived here for the past 6+ months, but from what I've seen, it just seems really variable.

Some days it's completely calm, other days 7mph, and other days there is a Lake Wind Advisory for kayakers, paddleboarders, swimmers, etc with 20mph+ all day with larger gusts.

Also if you've never played at 6000'+ elevation, I would not underestimate the effect it has on discs.
I moved out here from TN (600'-800') and was amazed. Pretty much all of my fairway, and distance drivers were useless. I started using my 5/10 star eagle as my main driver out here, which was one of the flippiest disks I had in TN, and never used it.

So light and understable is recommended.

Since new editing rules....ALSO

Bijou and Zephyr on the south shore are pretty wooded, so wind is not going to be as much as a factor as it is in wide open park-like courses. Both courses have shots where wind will affect you shot, however a lot of shots could not be affected cause of protective tree lines.

Lots of variety! =)

Sorry I missed you. I waited for a while, but I figured since you didn't call you probably couldn't make it. I could do tomorrow early if you want.

More later, but we were delayed in Phoenix, making us late, and that delay has cascaded down the schedule... Still haven't played around anywhere, and trying to figure out still where and when...

On a scale from 1-5 it can be a 1-5.

Totally depends.

Granted I've only lived here for the past 6+ months, but from what I've seen, it just seems really variable.

Some days it's completely calm, other days 7mph, and other days there is a Lake Wind Advisory for kayakers, paddleboarders, swimmers, etc with 20mph+ all day with larger gusts.

Also if you've never played at 6000'+ elevation, I would not underestimate the effect it has on discs.
I moved out here from TN (600'-800') and was amazed. Pretty much all of my fairway, and distance drivers were useless. I started using my 5/10 star eagle as my main driver out here, which was one of the flippiest disks I had in TN, and never used it.

So light and understable is recommended.

No kidding! Wife & I played Sierra Pines DGC in Twain Harte, CA a few days ago and I could tell a difference there (4000').

Bigger problem, while in Yosemite, has been trouble breathing. Planning on Zephyr Cove tomorrow...see if slow will handle it.

It takes 2 days to a week to get used to the elevation. Try to stay as hydrated as you can.

Zephyr is one of the most beautiful courses. Try to time it at sunset. Bijou is worth playing if you in the south lake area. Its 3 nine hole loops and if your pressed for time skip the first loop.

In north lake region sierra college and tahoe vista are worth playing if your in the area, but not worth it on their own. Skip truckee river and squaw.

Grass valley/Penn valley courses are worth hitting on the drive through. Markelville is the best course in tahoe basin. I hear China Peak opened up but not sure if that is mt golf proper like kwood and squaw.

There are some shops around the lake selling 150 or blizzard plastic. Enjoy!

Latest posts