• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rediscovering Disc Golf

Played my first tournament at Jordan Creek Park in PA yesterday, shot poorly but I'm no Steve Brinster. He shot a 45 the first round in comparison to my near painful 72. Need to work on not taking the difficult path to the basket, but just getting close enough to it to make myself an easier shot. This is what I had in my bag, I threw confidently and consistently for the most part. Had a few errant throws I shouldn't have made, but otherwise I stuck with what I knew.

I hit a solid birdie toss on Hole 6 from left of the fairway about 80 feet from the basket. That was my best shot of the day, with the runner up going to my CTP-winning drive on Hole 14 on the second round where I got it within 30 feet of the basket. Also hit a solid hyzer line with my River on Hole 12 that put me within 10 feet of the basket.

Distance Drivers
Opto/Test Material Bolts: Bag filler, harder fade than Beast
Champion Beast-164g x3: Max D, one beat, one fairly beat, one fresh
Star Beast-168g: Headwinds, max D
DX Beast-162, 166g x2: Straight, slight turnover

Control/Fairway Drivers
Opto Trident-172: Utility, overhand
Opto River-172g x2: one fresh, one worn-in, main fairway drivers
GL River-172g: Backup, fairway

Mids
Medium Obex-174g: Longer approaches, overstable approaches
ESP Buzzz-175g: Fresh, finishes hard right and skips
Z Buzzz-177g: Main mid, finishes soft right
X Buzzz-175g: Mostly straight

Putters
Eze Pure-172g x3: 1 orange domey main putter, two flat yellow driving/backup putters
Zero Soft Pure-172g: Approach, "stick" landings

Hit the course with my NutSac today and shot +3 on a par 62, my best ever round at my local course. I used my forehand driving on certain holes. Felt very confident with my Beasts, not so confident with River.

Distance:
Star Beast 168g
DX Beast x2 162, 166: One straight to right, one beat and flippy

Fairway:
Opto River 172g

Mid:
Medium Obex 174g
Z Buzzz 177g

Putter:
eze Pure 172g: Domey

All of my releases with the River have either hyzered or been nose-up and not getting any glide with them. Not sure I want to revert back to a four-finger grip for just one disc as I feel that may be my issue with this disc. I have more control with my Beasts even over long distances, which shouldn't be the case.

Went on a fairway/control driver search and came to the Eagle. Came upon a Warship in a trade and it has a lot more glide than my Buzzz's. Still working it out, but so far I like it. More Roc like with the harder fade. Here's the NutSac:

Distance 350'+:
168g Star Beast: Straight to soft fade
169g Star Beast: Straight to hard fade
162g DX Beast: Beat, for turnovers, rollers, utility

Control 250-300':
175g Champ Eagle: Some wear, straight to soft left
173g DX Eagle: New, mostly straight

Mids:
175g Warship: New, go-to
174g M Obex: Nice and overstable! Mostly short flex shots

Putts:
172g eze Pure: Main putter wear for short approaches to putts

Looking to work in an Opto Pure into the mix. Full bag (14 discs) looks something like the above with a few additions.

Add:
162g DX Beast for water shots
164g Champ Beast (2): both "max D"
170g Opto Trident: Utility, strong fade
175g X Buzzz: turnovers
172g eze Pure: Chalky, for short drives

The local store got Bliz Beasts at 150s and i might pull the trigger on one to see how they fare. Might be nice for max D for you.

I have a 134g myself for "water holes" (New England area doesn't have too many of those unless you're up near Marshall Street) and its been unpredictable so far. Sometimes it tracks hard right after a quick turn and sometimes it glides just left of center. I might try it on some flex shots and see if it still fades or turns on me.

150s are much heavier so they should be way easier to handle plus they are slower so flipping a high plh one should not be such a problem. If they have made them. One can always tune them to the shape of regular plastic beasts if needed.

Additionally my Blizz has a huge pop top. The rest of my Beasts besides DX are all relatively flat in Champ to moderate dome in Star.

Played the Borderland Fall Finale in MA yesterday and got a great score (for me) on white-to-white with +4 (58) in the first round. I was absolutely beat for the mostly longer blue-to-white setup in the second round and had plenty of errant throws. I threw a dismal 71. My whole card was really feeling the effects of the slow play that was happening with the two cards ahead of us, one Master's division and the other a combination of Grandmaster and Juniors. At one point we had those two cards, my card, and the card behind us at the same tee. Looking forward to playing this setup again soon so I can prove to myself I can shoot at least par on each set of tees and baskets.

This was my bag:

Distance Drivers
Star Beast x2-166, 169g: Main distance
Champion Beast-175g: Headwinds
Champion Beast-164g
DX Beast x3-162, 165, 167g: Straight, turnover, D plus headwinds

Control/Fairway Drivers
Opto Trident-172g: Utility, overhand
Champion Eagle-175g: Harder fade
DX Eagle-173g: Straight

Mids
Recycled Mace-178g: Drives off tee, longer overstable approach
Medium Obex-174g: Drives off tee, shaping shots
Westside Warship-175g x2: Main mid
X Buzzz-175g: Turnover

Putters
Recycled Pure-176g: Short approaches, short drives off tee
Eze Pure-172g x2: orange domey main putter, one flat backup
Zero Soft Pure-172g x2: Approach, "stick" landings

Really liking the few changes I've made in my discs as far as dropping Rivers in favor of Eagles, Buzzz's for Warships, and adding in the recycled Pure. The Mace may be competing with the Obex but at this time they seem similar enough in flight that I can use them as the same mold, both being beaded Roc-like discs. Hoping to find a liking in one of the Lat.64 drivers so I can stick with one brand, although this big of a change will likely have to wait until next season.

Have my first tournament of the year coming up January 11th. Currently working with all Trilogy (Latitude 64, Westside, Dynamic Discs) plastic. Taking only the NutSac in hopes that the only fatigue I'll experience is that from the cold rather than toting around 20 discs.

Drivers:
DD Lucid Escape 173g
Lat. 64 Opto Trident 172g
Lat. 64 Opto River 172g

Mids:
Lat. 64 Recycled Mace 178g
Westside VIP Warship 175g

Putt/Approach:
Lat. 64 Recycled Pure 176g
Lat. 64 eze Pure 172g

Made a couple of additions to the bag.

Drivers:
DD Lucid Escape 173g: Main distance
DD BioFuzion Escape 172g: Backup distance, less stable
Lat. 64 Opto Trident 172g: Utility
Lat. 64 Opto River 172g: Main driver

Mids:
Lat. 64 Recycled Mace 178g: OS Shots, drives
Westside VIP Warship 175g: Main mid
Westside VIP Warship 175g (new)
Westside Tursas 170g: Turnovers

Putt/Approach:
Lat. 64 Recycled Pure 176g: Approaches and drives
3 Lat. 64 eze Pure 172g: One for putts, two fresh
2 Lat. 64 zero Soft Pure 172g: One for lay ups, one fresh

Here's all of what I have for my Team Trilogy membership. I have the DD Ranger in Strilux. Feels great on my back and the weight is centered well.

Drivers:
Lat. 64 Opto Bolt 174g: Max D headwinds
Lat. 64 Recycled Bolt 174g: Max D straight to left
DD BioFuzion Escape 170g & 172g: Main distance
DD Lucid Escape 173g: Headwind
Lat. 64 Opto Trident 172g & 174g: One meathook, one straight to left
Lat. 64 Opto River 172g & 174g: Fairway shots
Lat. 64 Test Material River 174g: To beat-in for turnovers

Mids:
Lat. 64 Recycled Mace 178g (2): OS Shots, drives
Lat. 64 First Run Zero Line Hard 178g: To beat-in
Westside VIP Warship 175g (2): Main mid

Putt/Approach:
3 Lat. 64 eze Pure 172g: One for putts, two fresh
2 Lat. 64 zero Medium Pure 174g: Fresh
2 Lat. 64 zero Soft Pure 172g: Jump putts and sit and stick approaches/lay ups

Drivers:
Lat. 64 Opto Halo 168g: Max D, headwinds
Lat. 64 GL Halo 174g: Max D straight to flip
DD BioFuzion Trespass 175g: Headwinds
DD Lucid First Run Trespass 172g: Straight to left
Lat. 64 Opto Saint Pro 173g: Headwinds
DD BioFuzion Escape 174g: Main distance, straight and holds
DD Lucid Escape 173g: Straight to left
Lat. 64 Opto Trident 172g & 174g: One meathook, one straight to left
Lat. 64 Opto River 174g: Straight to fade
Lat. 64 Opto River 169g: Straight
Lat. 64 Opto River 176g: Beat-in turnovers, tunnels

Mids:
Lat. 64 Opto Mace 178g: OS Shots
Lat. 64 Recycled Mace 178g: Drives, straight to left finish
Westside Tursas 178g: Main mid

Putt/Approach:
Lat. 64 Zero Medium Sinus 176g: Approaches
Lat. 64 EZE Pure 172g: Turnover putter
Lat. 64 Zero Soft Pure 172g: Stick approaches, putts
Lat. 64 Zero Hard Pure 176g: Main putter

Do you miss your Beasts at all? Do you get similar distance from the Escapes?

Is the blend of biofuzion plastic fairly consistent from disc to disc / run to run? I know it is a mix of lucid and fuzion... wondering if they always use a set ratio of lucid to fuzion or if it is kind of random.

I haven't missed the Beasts really. Except for the fact that I can't get baseline Trilogy plastic without it costing an arm and a leg, as I had a DX Beast that was my turnover/roller disc. For instance, I bought up a bunch of Test Material Rivers to beat into fairway turnover discs, then I started losing them, and now not a single person has a fresh one for me to buy. Thankfully one of my Opto Rivers I've been using for a while has broken in enough to flip on me.

With the game I had last year-throwing nose up on every drive somewhere between 250 and 275'-to where I am now with the Trilogy bag, I never gave the stuff I was throwing a good chance to give me good results.

If I were to take my old discs out and play with them, I think I would find that my power and consistency has increased and the Beasts I was throwing (162g-175g) would be a line-shaping understable for the most part. I would imagine I can get similar distance on my Escapes as I would the Beasts now, in any case.

As far as the BioFuzion discs go, it depends on the mold as far as I've seen. My Trespass is more like an opaque Lucid and my Escape has the grip of Lucid with Fuzion looks. My recycled Mace is all Gold Line, no doubt.

Here's my 2015 bag.

Drivers:
Lat. 64 Opto Halo 168g: Max D, headwinds
Lat. 64 GL Halo 174g: Max D straight to flip
DD BioFuzion Trespass 175g: Headwinds
DD Lucid First Run Trespass 172g: Straight to left
Lat. 64 Opto Saint Pro 173g: Headwinds
DD Fluid Escape 172g: Main distance, straight to stable
DD Lucid Escape 173g: Straight to flip
Lat. 64 GL Trident 172g: Meathook
Lat. 64 Opto Trident 174g: Straight to stable
Lat. 64 Opto River 171g: Straight to fade, pop top
Lat. 64 Opto River 169g: Straight, line-shaping
Lat. 64 Opto River 176g: Beat-in turnovers, tunnels

Mids:
Lat. 64 Opto Mace 178g: OS Shots
Lat. 64 Recycled Mace 178g: Drives, straight to left finish
Lat. 64 Zero Hard Mace 177g: Straight to stable

Putt/Approach:
Lat. 64 Zero Medium Sinus 176g: Approaches
Lat. 64 EZE Pure 172g: Turnover putter
Lat. 64 Zero Soft Pure 172g: Stick approaches, putts
Lat. 64 Zero Hard Pure 176g: Main putter

That is an overlapping set of putters and drivers. Still i wonder if you have tried a Westside King? They vary from flippy to only slightly flipping. Domey high plh ones flip about 3 degrees with 400'ish. Without throwing a Tresspass i still think that the King is longer.

Latest posts