• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reevaluating my game is getting overwhelming (and expensive)

las8

Par Member
WOWWWW i just spent like 30 minutes typing this and i got logged off during that time so I lost everyhting! NOT COOL.

Ok lets try this again. I am 22 years old, have been playing about 7 years. Background in hockey, football, soccer, racket sports.

I throw RHFH for distance and RHBH for midrance. My FH avg is ~320' with a max of 360'. I only use drivers FH, but am gonna start using my buzzz FH. My RHBH has always been weak. I just went to the park to throw some mids and my TL. I realized I had my wrist over too much so I was getting a big anny S curve. My drives would be avg 225' and max 250'. At the park I was putting my buzzz, skeeter, TL on a slight hyzer line and was getting good D (for me). I paced my longest out at 86 paces and measured my stride at about 3'. So I bet i was averaging 225' with 250' max. This was with my mids which used to be about 150' max.

So I am not worried about discs for BH because I have plenty to choose from. I just need to work on my form and snap right now. I really wanted to find something that flies like my beat in star starfire (FH) I lost but with more glide, less fade. I also would like to see and eliminate any overlapping discs. I have been experimenting with A LOT of discs after i lost my starfire about a month ago, which is getting real expensive.

My first really good FH driver was a pro wraith. I lost it and bought a new one but it didn't fly like my old one. I then was able to bomb a flick, I am guessing with terrible form. I found a starfire with idk how much use and had this for six years until I left it in the fairway on 18.

My Bag

Driver
Star Starfire 170. Starting to break in but not quite like my old one. This is my go to disc for D.
Champ Starfire 167. New. this disc is too meaty, takes too long to break in, and i like the star better. this has no place in my bag
Pro Starfire 171. one of the first discs I got in 2004-2005. cannot throw this FH. was my BH driver since i lost my champ beast. better for BH anny
Champ Beast 168. new. i had a champ beast that was my go to BH disc. this still needs to be broken in bc it is too meaty for me
Star Teedevil 167. new. my least favorite disc. bought it bc i thought it was going to be like a teebird. huge meat hooks FH
Blizzard Wrait 136. bought this when blizz came out. can't throw this FH but it has promise BH once I fix my form. big BH hyzer. this is gonna be my 'tommy' disc or my flick we shall see
Pro line Hurricane 171 bought this before i knew it was too fast for me because my friends were starting to outdrive me with blizzards. only thrown this a few times but it has promise FH
Z Flick 171. used for right hooks and huge slow hyzers. i lost this one in a pond trying to tomahawk it which I hadnt much.... i did not flip at all and went right in the pond. I went for a swim but not luck. I just bought a 155 so hopefully i like that.
ESP Force 170. rarely ever throw this disc. too meaty for me, replaced my flick the round I didn't have it. no room in my bag
Champ Valk 170. found it in a pond, have not tried to FH it but BH seems like my beat in beast but slower. could have some promise BH
Pro Katana 171 Found this, seems pretty new. Too flippy with my old BH style but might have promise once I fix my form. Have not tried to FH this but from how it flies it would be a diver.
Star TL bought this recently after realizing I was probably throwing too much disc BH. I feel like this is going to be a great disc for both FH and BH. BH i was only getting 5-10' more than the mids I have which should probably be more

Discs I have/am going to have but have not thrown
Star Starfire 162. bought this b/c the blizzard fad and bc innova says 165 is the minimum weight in star and this was the last one where i got it
Echo Star DD2 Frenzy 175. bought this because i wanted to pro destroyer and heard this was similar but longer. FH driver
ESP Nuke 170. Traded a Nuke SS for this because I hated the SS. going to be used FH
Pro Beast 171 got this to get to the beat up beast stage quicker and the pro has more glide. BH driver

Mids
Star Skeeter 170. my favorite disc. i need to bring up that i do power grip for D and power grip with index in front for some mids but for this disc my grip is like a power grip but index out front and also extending the bottom three fingers so they are curled. i grip this real hard and pinch between my thumb and middle finger. this is is spot on disc for me. i can do straight, hyzer, and great anny. this disc has touch
Z Buzzz 171 now that i got some work with this im going to put it on a slight hyzer line. more controllable at full power than skeeter
FLX Buzzz 171 big hyzer. i feel like has more fade than the Z
D line Stratus 175 got this for anny BH but never use it because anything this does my skeeter does better. did replace my skeeter that i lost for one round
Ching Power Precision 173. i throw ching putters, i love the groove. At the field tonight I was actually snapping this over when i tried to put it on a hyzer. either the dents for more snap or because it is a little less disc is probably that reason. still undecided on this but tonight was promising

Ti Buzzz 177. bought this bc i need a heavy one and wanted to see what the Ti was all about. in the mail

Putters
3 JuJu Chings 173. i love these things as long at is is not more than 40' because then i have to force it.
Blunt Gum Putt 176 Shots that i want to sit, turbo putt (when needed), used to use it for long putts which I am going to go back to. I either try and force my ching or use my skeeter which will sail past if i go for it. I had a dart which i was hoping would be like my skeeter which I can make long putts with but lost it before i switched to the power grip with index out (not same as skeeter grip, I used to use skeeter grip on all mids but wasn't working)
Wizard SSSS 175 I bought this because it is black with a gold Hawkeye engraving. It is my outward most putter primarily for repping purposes. I do see great BH potential in this but i bet I only throw it 150' max

I know this is a lot (because I did it twice), but any help is very much appreciated. I apologize about the length and if there is any missing info. I also had a great format the first time but I just did a summary without the organization.

.... was more than five minutes but I wanted to add thank you to any help/suggestions. I have a fade tourney bag so I can fit a few discs.

Different plastics can be a bit different in flight especially brand new.
Also marshallstreet says this about the starfire in pro line "The Starfire was previously available in only Champion plastic as a Candy Fundraiser Disc. Innova then changed the Starfire mold a little by flattening the underwing and called it the Starfire L, or SL for short. This Pro version is the straighter, SL mold. "
(Heres the link for ya)
http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/product/ST-2619/Pro-Starfire/
~ I think you should buy a few in pro line if you really liked these.

On the problems with your BH I think you should get a leopard (165-175g) since you can get in pro line plastic and you seem fond of your old pro wraith and starfire.

For the drivers you currently have stick with the valk starfires and beasts since it looks like your not improving your game with those other discs currently.

Ya I was actually thinking about getting a star SL... I actually like the star plastic over the pro plastic especially for FH throws. The pro starfire (SL) is a disc I have never been able to FH. I was able to backhand it because my bad technique was letting it anhyzer because it is understable. I have not tried to throw my pro starfire (SL) FH in some time, I will take a little off my snap and give it a try next round.

I would really like to know how some of these other discs will fly once they break in. I have heard the Teedevil actually is nice once it gets to that point but I have not given it much time. I actually have been working the starfire's rim by folding it to try to hurry up the process. So, I was wondering if there are any other of my discs that will fly real nice once broken in like my starfire. Or I have any discs that have the same flight patterns. My main concern is how the discs will throw once broken in. Thanks again!

Keep throwing that Teedevil, give it a chance. They start out very stable but wear in nicely. I've been throwing one since April-ish and it's now to that longer teebird stage you're looking for.

Thanks for your input. I am gonna start working the edges of the disc similar to my starfire. I am most excited about throwing this Frenzy. It might be a bit understable, but I got max weight so that should compensate. That leads me to a question about weight. i just got this 163 starfire, but have not thrown it yet. I am obviously expecting to throw it a little differently than my 170. My question is when do you start noticing a difference with weights? Like 4-5 grams?

Also how do you guys feel the starfire does with wind compared to some of these? I got the teedevil for a wind fighter, but was disappointed.

I used to throw a Pro StarFire and it was very flippy for me.The reason for this is because the mold and flight pattern is much different than a Star and Champion.

The Star and Champion Plastic are overstable the Pro plastic ones throw like a beat up SL.

Just thought I would let you know.

Oh and the Star or Champion Starfire Works well in a headwind.