• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reid's Journey to Backhand Mastery

So basically I need to stride straighter towards the target and not to the left side of the teepad?

Threw some more today with my dog, which makes taking video difficult, but my upper body was all wonky yesterday and today I felt I was releasing the disc outward instead of spinning. I feel like every little thing I do right adds like 10' of distance, but I can only do a few of them right at one time.

Pretty much... more buttwipe. You can see when you pivot on your heel, you over spin on it because your balance is seated behind it to right teepad side.

Ok I see, so basically I should stride in a straight line towards the trajectory of the shot and keep head balanced over/inside of front foot and clear room for the swing better by clearing my hips better in the backswing/forward swing?

The front foot thing makes so much sense. If my front foot spins out in the backswing, there's basically no way to shift from behind because my heel is already too far forward. If my front heel moves backward with the backswing, I can actually move it forward during the forward swing and shift from behind much easier. Haven't been able to experiment with it in the field yet, but just drilling it feels so much better.

It's getting up to 41 here today.... great day to go to a local park here that has mountain biking trails and great places to field practice, even wooded areas to get gaps and such. Going to try and get some videos.

No video update, I ended up throwing pretty poorly. When I get into an open field, I tend to tense up and try really hard. But the interesting thing is that after I stopped field throwing I just took one Roc and ran around the park hitting gaps. Just focusing on hitting gaps smoothed out my form enough to get some really good shots. So, next time I will focus on actually hitting lines in the open field. After all, that's how you play on a course anyway.

Ok played around with the slow motion drill today to work on not spinning out my feet. It definitely feels weird to not spin out my front foot, but I can feel how that shifts me more laterally than spinning. You can see I still tend towards spinning out in the video but its a little bit better sometimes. But now I know how it should feel at least.

Your front foot needs to be open/neutral, you are trying to move into a closed front hip. The front foot toes should not move or slide or come off ground in slow motion drill, only heel comes off ground and replants about where it started, the pressure should roll along the inside of your instep like in Swivel Chair Drill. Your front knee should get kicked in backswing as your front foot pivots up, so it keeps the spine upright inside posture instead of leaning/tipping/swaying over your rear leg. The rear foot/leg should mirror the front leg in forward swing.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 2.15.38 AM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 2.15.38 AM copy.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 104
Does anyone have a suggestion for good frame-by-frame type playback apps for Android? I find myself unable to really see what I'm doing wrong when I watch the video in the field on my phone, but then when I get home and can actually slow down the playback its easy to see, but at that point its obviously too late to try to make the change. I found one that will slow down to 0.13x which is slow enough, but its hard to scrub back and forth.

Eureka moment this Thanksgiving morning with the "gas pedal" idea. So that's how you get off the rear leg.... Explains why it was so difficult for me to do naturally because I have huge quads compared to my calves. Video hopefully soon. But now food.

Had a similar "ah-ha" moment as Par-b-q recently with the reachback timing. Now when I delay my pullthrough it feels like I'm using my body to throw the disc and my follow through feels amazing and balanced on my plant leg. I only have been messing around on a 220' field but my accuracy and swing feels like butter now compared to how I was swinging before.

I've been having a great time just throwing putters in my little 200' field with my dog and wife. I can find certain lines/places to stand to throw like 250' hyzers too. With the new reachback timing and swing feel I can place discs and hit consistent angles like I've never been able to before with no effort. My absolute best shots it just feels like everything is moving towards the target and my front shoulder gets opened by the weight of the shot. Getting out to play my first right handed event on Jan 1 at a temp ball golf course so we'll see how the distance looks then. I know my rear leg still needs work. Otherwise I've been mountain biking more so haven't played any actual disc golf rounds.

One of my biggest realizations I had recently is that I need to actually externally rotate my front leg (with respect to my hips) so that my hips can turn back while I move towards target. I always used to plant so closed because I just let my front leg stay neutral/internally rotated. Now it feels weird still but I externally rotate my front hip so my foot stays approx perpendicular to target throughout the x-step/plant stride while my rear leg is pushing my rear hip forwards and pointed slightly backwards from target. From here I can easily move into the plant in the direction of the target and land on front leg balanced while letting the arm/shoulder stay back. If I do all that semi-correctly the forward swing is just natural from there.

One of my biggest realizations I had recently is that I need to actually externally rotate my front leg (with respect to my hips) so that my hips can turn back while I move towards target. I always used to plant so closed because I just let my front leg stay neutral/internally rotated. Now it feels weird still but I externally rotate my front hip so my foot stays approx perpendicular to target throughout the x-step/plant stride while my rear leg is pushing my rear hip forwards and pointed slightly backwards from target. From here I can easily move into the plant in the direction of the target and land on front leg balanced while letting the arm/shoulder stay back. If I do all that semi-correctly the forward swing is just natural from there.

Ooh nice I haven't thought about doing that with the front leg before. Look forward to trying this.

Played a temp golf course yesterday for our local club tag year opener. It was tons of fun throwing pretty much as far as I can from every tee as I don't think a single hole was under 300' and one was 1200'. Not sore at all today so my form must have not been that bad. I didn't measure any distances, but if I was guessing I was topping out around 350' which I'm happy with considering I haven't thrown drivers in a long time.

Towards the ends I realized I still wasn't getting turned back enough. Threw pretty well overall but didn't place too high. I'm just happy my game is feeling back to how good it was left-handed so it's only up from here. Got a lot to work to do on putting still, it remains my nemesis.

Took some video yesterday and it wasn't pretty. I think my sequencing and upper body might be better, but my lower body is still just a mess. I did get a driver out to 380' but it was one good throw out of 30. Throwing right handed is hard, ****! So gotta focus on getting the footwork right.

Also just did some putting and it's weird, I can hit 20' with confidence in my garage, but when I get on the course, the only way I can explain it is that I lose all confidence that I can produce any power on my putt. It's like the tempo is all wrong. So it's definitely a mental thing that I need to work out on that one. Probably just need more and more practice to develop confidence and to develop an actual putting routine.

Just realized after watching some video that I'm fundamentally trying to release the disc too far right. I'm trying to get my right shoulder too open. My disc tends to release with my elbow still at like 160 degrees instead of straight out. I think that's because I'm opening the shoulders too early and thus if the disc actually released when my arm was straight it would be shanked to the right. I'm basically getting the front shoulder all jammed up and trapped instead of being part of the big swing lever. I think I'm really starting to connect a lot of the dots and I'm just a few changes away from a decent swing. A recent Sean Clement video helped me realize this.

Last edited:
^^^^
Oh yeah, big difference and kind of a breakthrough in thinking for me. Got to throw putters for like 15 minutes today and it felt a little more effortless, and better accuracy probably as a result of better balance. Google Maps is telling me I was throwing like 250' (I'm getting creative with my field) on hyzers with like 50% effort. Not sure if this rambling video makes any sense, but it makes sense to me.

Latest posts