• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reid's Journey to Backhand Mastery

Finally hit an ace on my home course, and my 3rd ace of all time. I feel like I know all the pieces I need to fix in my throw, it's just a matter of being able to do them all right at the same time. Things I've been working on: keeping nose over toes, delaying forward swing until planted on front, staying loose except for my grip, turning hips back further. Either way, I'm really happy with how I'm throwing now for how little I've been playing. Disc golf just being "fun" again is really all I'm looking for and its amazing how a better mental game can transform your game.

2dKdWX3.jpg

Last edited:
I'm getting more back into disc golf these days. Not enough daylight/temperature to MTB as much so I've been getting out to throw/putt for like 30 minutes each day before the sun sets on weekdays. It's been a lot of fun and last time I made it out to the course, I went -5 through 6 holes, mostly tight, low-ceiling wooded holes < 300'. I was throwing every shot just like I intended and even hitting some big putts. Easily the best I've ever played on the course. Granted, I only need about 350' of power at my home course so I haven't really been pushing my distance max, but everything under 320 or so feels very smooth and relaxed. Trying to juice up from there usually just leads to less accuracy and not much more distance. I REALLY need to take some more video, because I certainly have a TON to fix still, but I'm trying to approach things still pretty casually as I once I start getting too serious it loses all the fun. Still love coming on here to try to help others, I sure can spot good form much better than I can do it myself.

Some notes to myself from putting tonight:

1. Gotta relax my shoulder and let it hang loose in the downswing just like a backhand shot. When I don't do this I lose accuracy and power. Abandon that disc/arm to gravity! I don't even need to bend my elbow and frankly shouldn't with my push putt similar to a Ricky style putt.

2. When I get good releases I'm not even thinking about opening my wrist, in fact I just think to keep it slightly curled the whole forward stroke and it just releases at the end without me knowing. I still get a lot of wobbly duck releases from opening the wrist way too early and not committing to the full stroke.

3. Once I relax the shoulder and let the downswing happen, right before peak "reachback" I have to initiate the putt by pushing with the rear foot onto the front foot. Trying to use the arm too early is the death of a good putt and kills all distance.

Last edited:
Tried getting a little video tonight. Started out with X-step but quickly ditched that and just tried some one leg drill type shots. It just looks like I'm not really ever bracing on the front side. I feel like it looks ok how I'm moving onto the front side, but just not resisting. And my rear side in general, oof. My off arm needs serious work and my rear leg just always want to extend! These were all Judges going like 240-250' slightly uphill depending on the shot, so normal distances for me. By the end of the session I could finally convince my arm to be a little more loose. Let me know if the link works otherwise I can upload to Youtube, sorry lighting sucks. Should still be able to use , and . to go frame by frame here.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7CCjxxRC3k8saUQw9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wMG29R2VqqjPqaGW8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oHVJbabqme6p4uHX7

Last edited:
Yeah, your hips are sliding back and forth a lot for not taking a stride with front foot. I think it helps to pick the front foot up and stick it back into the ground suddenly like a batter.

Looks like you are trying to keep head turned back and avoiding looking at the disc. Keep your head moving with shoulders and eyes on disc.

Yeah, your hips are sliding back and forth a lot for not taking a stride with front foot. I think it helps to pick the front foot up and stick it back into the ground suddenly like a batter.

Looks like you are trying to keep head turned back and avoiding looking at the disc. Keep your head moving with shoulders and eyes on disc.
So if I were not taking a stride, I would need to push harder into the ground to brace? Or just not have quite so much lateral hip movement?

So if I were not taking a stride, I would need to push harder into the ground to brace? Or just not have quite so much lateral hip movement?
Need to remain more centered/compact with the shift.

Couple of throws from today's round. A pretty downhill hole but these ended up going close to 400', on a previous flat hole I was able to reach 350' which is great for me. It's funny in my practice swing my rear leg is a lot better, but then when I go to throw it's the same old song and dance pushing off my heel. I've got a Brian Earhart swing. To be fair, I haven't concentrated on fixing it. Today I realized I wasn't striding my rear foot out far enough to the right of the teepad and when I fixed that everything felt a lot better. But probably my biggest issues are off-arm and rear leg action. I think otherwise I'm throwing decently. Letting everything be more relaxed on the turnback.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/E6nBtMAMfvYy8nE39

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GZAK3AWa3DCynQ9g7

Hi everyone, this time of year I always seem to get more into disc golf. Took some videos recently of a few throws. I know I'm still doing bad stuff with my rear leg, but I think its better than it used to be. I feel like I turn back far enough, but the video shows that my hips aren't turning back far enough still I think. I think the timing is looking ok generally, but definitely overeager with the throwing shoulder and pulling stuff right. Not sure why my swing plane was so low on this day, other recent videos didn't show that, but I guess I need to get my elbow higher. Thoughts?

Distance is about the same as its been, but feeling more confidence and accuracy with my right handed throw now (remember I am natural lefty).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/M1axkjHBtQnKvH8a8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aHYBGnPFfapocYFE9

Last edited:
Oh and I finally figured out the "turn the key" idea and whenever I focus on that I get much more nose down flights, to the point where I probably need to start bagging some more stable discs. I don't have long courses around me, so I pretty much only throw Mantis, CD2, PD, and firebird for drivers, mainly leaning on the mantis.

You just look too upright/stiff and trying to swing on a too horizontal plane like an acute isosceles triangle. Your spine is more extended and lead shoulder blade is more retracted and not allowing to swing and load further back.

Note how Mason has an obtuse scalene triangle so his back is more relaxed and flexed and shoulder blade is more protracted and lat pulled back taut with wider arm with chest/shoulders tilted forward toward knees/over shoulder/arm/disc and pelvis tilts to load angle against backswing. His shoulders are much more vertical swinging the heavy shoulder/arm/disc unit like a sledgehammer or battering ram.

Mason:
X Axis - more horizontal lead hip to lead shoulder separation, and less trail hip to lead shoulder separation.

Y Axis - less vertical hips to lead shoulder separation, and more hips to trail shoulder separation.

Z Axis - more deeper hips to lead shoulder separation, and less hips to trail shoulder separation.

hs88mot.png