• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Removing paint from a disc (and neat PIAS find!)

If you want less work, and no harm to the PLASTIC...use orange cleaner/ oil. Let the disc soak in a mildly concentrated form. Allow the oils to separate the paint layer. You WILL lose the stamp, but the plastic will hold its natural integrity. It will even remove most of the permanent marker that might exist, given that the oils from the marker haven't age set yet.

Don't use any chemical ie, xylene, acetone. They will break down the poly structure of all plastics, even with periodical use. Just my two cents.

What does xylene do and where can I buy it?

Most paint stores will sell it in gallon cans. For cleaning discs I just lightly soak a section of cotton rag and rub on the disc, then immediately wipe it off or wash it with water. Do not let it sit on the disc, the less time on the disc the better. The stuff is very volatile and evaporates pretty quick, but can't be too safe. It will eat off the stamp in seconds. I had a KC Pro Roc and just a tad of the stuff dropped on it and the stamp immediately started to swirl and smear.

Last edited: