• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Removing spray paint???

michael_c

Par Member
Hi everyone,
Hopefully this thread is in the right place.
Today while looking for a disc that skipped into the creek area I came across a bar stamp CE valkyrie, no name, no number, no ink at all.
Unfortunately, the top of the disc is totally covered in red and silver spray paint :doh:.
My question is, what do you think I could use to remove the paint, but not damage the stamp? The disc looks to be in great shape aside from the paint.

Attachments

• 2012-09-24_22-26-55_769.jpg
    2012-09-24_22-26-55_769.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 2012-09-24_22-27-17_438.jpg
    2012-09-24_22-27-17_438.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 2012-09-24_22-26-33_727.jpg
    2012-09-24_22-26-33_727.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 116
I don't think you'll really be able to do it without damaging the stamp. Acetone generally will take spray paint off, but the stamp will come with it.

I was able to get paint off a 10x cheetah with WD40. But the paint was on the back so i didn't have to worry about the stamp.

Second thought: slowly,VERY SLOWLY, use a Magic Eraser. Just maybe you can save part of the stamp, maybe come away with a "faded stamp". If you do it successfully, you may have a future in auto restoration.

Good find. You are probably stuck with the paint or without the stamp. Your choice.

Try a non-acetone fingernail polish remover. It's cheap enough to give it a shot. Let us know how it works out.

Try rubbing alcohol. I use it to clean used discs when I get them and as long as it isn't base line plastic and you don't scrub as hard as you can, it leaves the stamp alone. It does take the yellow paint off the vibram logo very easily, though. Update us as to your success/failure, please!

Try rubbing alcohol. I use it to clean used discs when I get them and as long as it isn't base line plastic and you don't scrub as hard as you can, it leaves the stamp alone. It does take the yellow paint off the vibram logo very easily, though. Update us as to your success/failure, please!

I'd advise against that. Not sure if maybe you used a lower percentage, but I've used 99% isopropyl alcohol specifically to remove a stamp.

I'd advise against that. Not sure if maybe you used a lower percentage, but I've used 99% isopropyl alcohol specifically to remove a stamp.

I have used both the 91% and 70%(?) with good success. The only time I have had it touch a stamp in 50+ disc cleanings was on a Pro-D Buzzz (the slight stamp removal isn't even noticable). I have used this on both new and old discs with very very few bad results.

EDIT: I also just put it on a paper towel and gently scrub... I don't let it soak on the disc (I think that would harm the stamp).

Last edited:
Try a non-acetone fingernail polish remover. It's cheap enough to give it a shot. Let us know how it works out.

I'm interested in this. Has anyone tried this before with good results?

I have used both the 91% and 70%(?) with good success. The only time I have had it touch a stamp in 50+ disc cleanings was on a Pro-D Buzzz (the slight stamp removal isn't even noticable). I have used this on both new and old discs with very very few bad results.

EDIT: I also just put it on a paper towel and gently scrub... I don't let it soak on the disc (I think that would harm the stamp).

I'll start with the 70% isopropyl and see where that gets me.
The weeks are pretty busy for me, so I probably will not have an opportunity to put work into this until later this week. Once I do, I'll post up some pictures granted whatever I try works.

Oh yeah, thanks to the mod that fixed my title for me. I just noticed it.

I sprayed a disc once when I first started out because I could never see the damn thing. Well it was all well and good for a while until it chipped, and kept chipping. So I tried to get it off by picking it, and noticed the stamp was on the flakes and not the disc anymore. It was cool and all but long story short dont do this.

Well I found myself with some free time last night, and put some work in on removing the paint. The alcohol wasn't working that great, so I pulled out a glassware cleaner I've used on discs to remove old sharpie ink.
Using the cleaner along with a magic eraser worked well on the rim of the disc, areas with a light amount of paint, and pretty much anywhere there was no stamp. The cleaner softened up the paint, in the areas where the stamp was, enough for me to scratch away at the paint. Scratching away at the softened paint was much easier than I thought it would be and left the stamp mostly unharmed, as long as I was being careful.
Hopefully I can get it finished up in the next couple days.

Attachments

• 2012-09-25_22-42-56_583.jpg
    2012-09-25_22-42-56_583.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 40
DOT 3 Brake fluid will take the paint off quicker than anything else and I'm pretty sure it will only take the color off a metallic stamp it will still leave the silver backing.

its also simple to do, wipe the disc down with a good amount of brake fluid and make sure to leave some fluid sitting on the disc, let it sit for a minute or two then wipe the disc clean, I don't think it will have any affect on the plastic.

Latest posts