• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Request next driver help

Definitely something that is right in the middle of those two, something like a Valkyrie, Stalker, or Sidewinder. The Sidewinder may turnover, but will most likely come back more than a Leopard. For me the Sidewinder and Stalker holds a line the longest.

Well, the Avenger SS flew pretty much like the Leopard. Not the desired results. I guess next up will be the XL.

Believe it or not, Papa Hitz did give the advice that will give you the best and fastest results and this is coming from someone who gets 2 hours a week of play/practice in per week if he's lucky. Looking for magic discs will just make things go slower and cost you more money.

Also, FWIW, a month or two ago when I was pracicing in a field I threw a beat up DX Leopard over 300' on a pure hyzer into a 5-10mph headwind without it turning over and I'm not all that good. If a couple month old Pro Leopard won't go 250' without turning over there's a major technique issue that needs to be ironed out before any driver will fly right for you.

Long story short, you're asking for a disc that doesn't exist. If you must spend money on discs, a Polaris LS or DX Cheetah will be the most benefitial drivers for you. Driving with mids and putters will help out at least as much, if not more than any driver, too.

Funny thing when getting disc advice. You will get a variety of answers; and all good, but some may be bad for you.

Let me just give you a tool: http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/pdf/JoesFlightChart1.pdf

Use that flight chart. It has all the current discs I can think of and one of the very few that includes the dificulty to get the disc to do what its supposed to do. If you find a weird one that you cannot get at www.discgolfcenter.com or in a store; also use www.gottagogottathrow.com to find some of the off brands.

I appreciate the advice, and it is all stuff I'm trying to concentrate on when I'm out in the practice field. I may have only played for a few months, but I have hit the field quite a bit. The Pro Leopard has taken quite a few hits, that's for sure. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm playing disc golf or pinball. It's smacked boulders 25 feet away and line drived trees 15 feet from the tee.

I wish I could hit the field 1 hour every day but that just isn't reality for me. I'm more of the casual player that gets out once every other week or so when he can get time away from the family or work. "Perfect" form isn't going to come in weeks or months, but most likely years. That's something I accept. I'm more interested in getting a driver that fits my technique now while I work to improve it. Counterproductive... absolutely. But DG is to have fun and if I have to use my equipment as a crutch so be it.

That all being said, I just happened to have won an ESP Avenger SS on Ebay so that's going to be tested. If it doesn't work out then it will go to the trade pile I'm starting to collect. I still have my eyes open for an XL and also am looking into the Vision.

hey im a devens dg also,,,just started this year. I really like the avenger ss,,i use it on a number of holes at devens (nice easy throw with an SS on hole 3 is my new choice on that hole,,if thrown right it will break right after that last tree) . make sure u also have a buzz in Z plastic,,,holds up great with all the trees. I was given the advice a couple weeks ago of doing a whole round with just the Buzz at devens. try it out. could be the best advice ive been given. gl

Throwing max of 275', you shouldn't be turning over the Leopard unless it is extremely light or very beat. I'd say keep working on your form with that disc because it is one of the best beginner discs made. I would recommend the JLS, but it's very similar to the Leopard so there's no real reason in carrying both. I think you should hold off on getting any max-d drivers and stick with fairway drivers, at least until you can consistently get out to 300' with the Leopard.

Yeah, I definitely need to work on my form. Unfortunately my availability at the practice field has been severely limited.

Papa Hitz explained to me about the motion of "trying to elbow someone in the face" and that worked pretty well the few times I tried it.

I actually came to the realization that I wasn't leading with my shoulder and letting the arm whip around, instead trying to arm power it. I still have to test this out in the field but have a feeling my rotation is all off.

hey im a devens dg also,,,just started this year. I really like the avenger ss,,i use it on a number of holes at devens (nice easy throw with an SS on hole 3 is my new choice on that hole,,if thrown right it will break right after that last tree) . make sure u also have a buzz in Z plastic,,,holds up great with all the trees. I was given the advice a couple weeks ago of doing a whole round with just the Buzz at devens. try it out. could be the best advice ive been given. gl

This is a hole that my regular Avenger actually works great for me. I rip it RHBH and with the fade (and a little to much hight!) it parks right by the ace race tee.

It also works wonders on hole 17. The last two times I placed it against the ledge right under the basket for a possible 2. Of course I missed both puts. :( Oh well, kind of hard putting vertical. :eek:

This is a hole that my regular Avenger actually works great for me. I rip it RHBH and with the fade (and a little to much hight!) it parks right by the ace race tee.

It also works wonders on hole 17. The last two times I placed it against the ledge right under the basket for a possible 2. Of course I missed both puts. :( Oh well, kind of hard putting vertical. :eek:

nice well gl,,,my problem holes are 4,6 and 18. if i could figure these out i would cut alot off my scores. im trying to learn to tomahawk it on 4 but just cant get over the big rock (got over a couple times but just barely). gonna keep practicing it though,,,i think its the best way to handle that hole since u dont risk those early trees or having ur disc go left or right..

i know the ledge ur talking about on 17,,tuff put for sure,,,not a long put but tuff to get the right height on it. im ussually about 20feet back from there,,never really puttingfor birdie unless i get lucky:mad:

When I was throwing about as long as you are, I started throwing DX Teebirds as a main driver. I really feel like the bird was too much disc for me at the time and my form really suffered trying to make it go straight. I geared down to DX Gazelles for control drivers and I would really recommend them. I know you said you wanted to stay away from the low grade DX stuff, and if thats totally not an option maybe try a star leopard? I hear they're tougher to flip than dx/pro. I saw the Opto Vision mentioned, and I really like this disc as a distance driver, but for me it needs some room to work so if you play with lots of woods you may not use it much.

I have virtually no Discraft knowledge, but I agree w/ previous post about the Innova TL. I throw RHFH and can make the TL do ANYTHING I want, including 300' gentle left turns. If you want distance, and you ever have a chance to throw in the open (get to Marshall Street Airplanes course) the Innova Star SL is virtually identical to the TL in flight characteristics, but with much more speed and glide. I parked an open, flat 428' hole yesterday with it and goes amazingly straight. Most of my drivers I can throw in the neighborhood of 375' but the SL takes the cake for long and straight

I have no discraft knowledge but based on the innova driver chart I'd suggest going with the TL, teebird, Eagle, or dragon. Possibly even the Roadrunner but I don't know if you want to throw something that fast. It was my first distance driver and it sure taught me how to throw. You may get better luck if you can find a disc shop near you(not a sporting goods store), the owner of a shop near me is GREAT help. If not then good luck and I hope any of the advice here helps you.

Last edited:
Look at a flight chart and try what suits what throw you're looking for. Different discs work for different people. I carry various discs used for various shots. Also, some discs people swear by I hate, but some discs I swear by people hate. That's the cool thing about discin.

I think I have come to the realization that my wife may be 100% correct. I could very well be an idiot.

I was sitting here at 4:30 am pondering my dilemma when the thought hit me. The Avenger is flying straight. The problem is me throwing it too high and allowing it to fade too much. Of course it's going too far left if I'm aiming at the basket. Zero high speed turn and 3 low speed fade will do that if thrown 20 feet in the air (not on purpose of course).

Sound logical or is it too early/late and too much stale coffee in my system?

I ended up trying a friends XL and I do have to say it flew dead nuts straight and actually stayed low to the ground for me. My only problem is that it felt like I was throwing a phone book. It wasn't the weight as I've thrown other discs heavier but it seemed to have no glide. The Leopard and Avenger just seemed to "fly' easier.

I love the straight line of the XL and have no problem putting one in my bag but would there be a suggestion specifically of the same type of disc but with slightly more glide but requiring the same skill/power level?

Actually, I should give myself the 5 min rule. Think about something for 5 min before posting because I end up working it out anyway.

The Leopard I have is lighter. The Avenger is heaver but because it is a distance driver it is designed with a more aerodynamic shape therefore theoretically will fly with less effort.

I tried an Avenger SS (Valkyrie-esque) and it didn't give me the results I hoped for.

I actually have an XL I've been holding on to waiting to try my friends first and I think I'm going to use that for awhile.

So beat up Pro Leopard for Anhyzer/Rollover shots. XL for straight shots. Avenger (because I haven't worked into it yet) for Hyzer shots. Eventually I'll work into the Avenger and the XL will take the roll of anhyzer.

Latest posts