• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

retarded putting ability after years of practice

barodapride

ive played my whole life and my putting has never improved. i can drive as good as 1000 rated pros (not even joking) but i cant make a 15 foot putt consistently. i practice putting a lot and when i miss i get pissed and my round turns into a trainwreck real quick. there seems to be no consistent solid way to putt. i seem to have the need to putt differently every time i play because no way gives me the confidence or consistency that i desire. i practice a lot and still suck, i dont know what to do. when i practice sometimes i will start sinking them and next thing you know i donk 3 straight from 15 feet. i know a lot of my problem is mental but geezus i have no problems with any other part of my game.

Here is my suggestion. You need to start from scratch. Go back to the basics. Forget that the rest of your game is very solid and humble yourself to start over on putting. Pretend that you are new to the game and don't get pissed if you miss a put. Sometimes that will happen. I recommend watching this video and trying to learn to put this way. I haven't played for very long but it has really helped me since I started doing this. I would get frustrated that my putts wouldn't go in from 10 to 15 feet out. Now I am automatic from that distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq_bh_GtjtQ

If your game is a good as you say it use you have the skills to control the disc. You just have to find a way to calm yourself down, take a step back from your mental issues and rebuild your putting skills. If you have to start at a distance of 5 feet then that is what you have to do.

hey that was a good video and probably the only disc golf video i havent seen on youtube! I feel like i kind of already knew all of this - my putting confidence is crushed to the point where anytime i have a 15 foot putt i'm thinking "this is the range i suck at and i'm going to miss". When i practice the primary things i focus on are being smooth and holding and releasing the disc well. I also continously try different ways to putt (probably part of my issue). As soon as i start missing I think "well time to start putting differently". Anyways I should probably just stick to 10 footers and build confidence but I still think something in my brain clicks in tournaments and i just cant make a putt. Thanks for the video though.

Give me 10 days...

I used to teach ball golf and maybe this will help. What edge3281 said about starting at 5 ft is really a big deal. Yes, it seems to be silly at first, but it has a skill/confidence building advantage. I'll explain in a second.

What style to putt in. There are tons of ways, but here is a suggestion. Why not use the same stance as you use with your approach shots? If your game is solid, go with what works for you. (When teaching ball golf, I was huge in saying forget what the books say, you should adapt with what is already working for you and build from that. There are some real ugly swings in the pro tour, but they play as good as the pretty ones.) SO go with what is simple and comfortable. Also, I would use the same style and brand of putter. Again find one that is comfortable. Don't keep changing weights and styles. That will get you thinking about that stuff instead of making the putts.

Next, if you want to make putts you need a pre-putt routine. Come up with one of your own that you WILL do before EVERY putt. I personally never step up to the putt until I am ready to just throw it. I sit back look at the link I want to hit and imagine myself throwing the disc and hitting that link (I do this until I REALLY see it work). Then all I do is step into my stance point the edge of the disc at that link pull back and throw. I also make myself leave my hand out there like I am shaking hands with that link until the disc hits (it forces the aim and "the memory" of the aim).

The reason I do this stuff in this manner is so I get all that thinking out of the way before I am ready to throw (I even do this while others are putting). This way when you step into your stance you just aim and putt and there is no time to allow extra thinking to get into your head. If you see it in your mind your body naturally wants to copy it. That is how are brains are wired (this has been scientifically proven many times).

Now to practice this starting at 5 ft. Why start there? It is because you can't miss those. It is all about confidence. You MUST do your pre-shot routine for every putt (that means not standing in your stance at the spot you will be throwing before each throw) and do 5 putts at 5 ft. Then take 2 steps back and do it again and then 2 steps back and do it again and just keep going. You MUST complete all 5 throws at each spot. If miss 1 of the 5 start over (but finish all 5 throws no matter how many you missed). If you did not do the pre-shot routine on one putt, that counts as MISS. We are training your mental side as well as your physical side. In putting it is debated but at the very least a 50/50 ratio of the two. So both must be trained to improve.

When (and you WILL!) you get to where the 10 ft putt is a can't miss, then start there and forget the 5 ft starting point (BUT you have to be sure that 10 ft is easy before doing that.) I personally will never start from further than 10 ft, because that is the confidence building distance.

Do this for your 30 minutes a day from that video or until you have gone through it at least 3 times as far as you can. In just 10 days of this, 15 ft putts will feel like 'gimmies' for you.

This sure took a long time to write up, but it is worth it for me to see written out as it was to share it. Now your job is to teach me to drive better as my approach and putting is all I am good at. :D

Baroda,

That's good stuff from Donovan. Here are a few more ideas-

• Have fun! Just relax and enjoy.
  • Try not to think so much. Just throw it.
  • DON'T keep changing styles! I think that's one of your biggest problems. Stick to one style and master it.
  • Work on your mental game first. See the Files section of DG Resources for tips on the mental game.
  • Study and absorb these articles Master Your Mental Game and Twelve Characteritics of Good Putting by Blake Takkunen at discgolfreview.com. The forums there would also be a good resource for you.
  • Use some of the putting games from DG Resources, especially "Dead Eye". Just move the distances in to start at 10 ft. Make it 10-20 ft.
I guess that's plenty for now.

Baroda,

Here's a fun and simple putting game from the Games file in DG Resources-

Most in a Row

Object: To make the most putts in a row from a given distance.

Set a marker at a certain distance. Before each putt you must make some change, at least a small one, to your stance and line up fresh. Try to make as many in a row as you can. When you run out of discs move to a new location at the same distance. When you miss a putt move to a new location.

-----------------------------
I'd suggest that you set the marker at 10 or 12 ft and when you can make 10 in a row for a few days move back one pace. 10 ft = ~4 paces. (More accurately, for me, 3 paces = 8 ft.) As you master each length keep moving back one pace.

yea i think i know what i have to do, thanks for the help.

Don't forget to come back and tell us how things worked out and what you did. It helps everyone see what worked and helps us all learn what works for others. Good Luck!

when i get it and my rating jumps to 990 i'll let you know...i think i just need to remain calm and focused in my rounds thats all.

You also might want to try out different putters. My putting never improved till I started using the "Magnet". That disc just feels really good in my hand. My putting game has improved 80%. Also, I would invest in a practice basket, and practice from different distances.

yea ive been trying putters for a long time, ive made my mind up on the wizard but i pretty much do the same thing with all of them.

I attended a putting clinic with Jay Reading on this disc gol cruise I went on and it was amazing...my putting accuracy and distance improved dramatically...if you can find anything by him (I think he has been a national putting champion for a number of years) you should pay attention to it...

One of the biggest hints I got from the pro clinic, that seem necessary for you on putting was "And don't talk yourself out of it."

Can't remember the name of the woman who was giving the putting portion of the clinic, but it was her:

1450992362_b3844840f0.jpg

putting is as much mental as it is physical. confidence is key. there is a Utube video with a great putting clinic on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq_bh_GtjtQ this really helped me.

I agree on the mental. I remember one round I was going to play with some guys I wanted to impress. At the practice basket, I hit every putt from 25ft-60ft with not problems. I get out on the course, got nervous, and my putting fell apart. I couldn't hit a 15 ft shot. I was pissed at myself.

Again, I hate to keep bringing up the Magnet, was just at the practice field with a friend who could not putt well at all. I gave him several of my putters to try, and with the Magnet, he starting hitting one after another. Even he was impressed. I gave that disc to him to use for a while, and now he enjoys the game more.

I know the Wizards and the Avairs are the popular putters, but sometimes they are not the best for you. You also might want to give an XD a try. I have tried many putters myself, and I keep coming back to my Soft Magnet. It just works every time.

The mistake most people make from 15 to 20 feet is to use too much finesse due to fear of overshooting by too far. At that range you are not going to overthrow by much if you miss so you need to throw firmly with confidence. Firmly with confidence. Repeat those three words everytime you step up to a 15 - 20 footer and you will truly be amazed at the results.

The other thing you can try is a low profile putter like the XD. It has the profile of a driver which is what you're already good at throwing and it slips right off your fingers on the release unlike most drivers with thicker rims.

I completely agree that putting is at least 50% mental. I'm a very logical person, so I try to keep the big picture in mind when putting. This is something that I adapted form my experiences in door-to-door sales (insert tired punchline here), but I think alot of previous poster's have touched on it. This is just another way to look at it

It starts with that first putt. If I miss this putt, on this hole, I've probably added one, maybe two strokes to my score on this hole, realistically.But, if I let the outcome of this putt affect my attitude, then I am screwed for likely the rest of the round. I think we all agree THAT will add more than one or two strokes to your score for the round. So, you have to be at peace with the idea that you may miss, and just let it happen. Don't think, just putt. Just let it go in the basket, and if it doesn't, dont worry because once it's left your hand, you absolutely cannot control or change what that disc will do.

When I did door-to-door sales. I would talk to several dozen potential customers every day. If I let it affect me when one person didn't buy, my attitude sucked at the next house, and the next, and so on. I was thinking about myself, instead of how to do my best. That didnt help me sell any more, in fact myu numbers showed it helped me sell less.

Putting, to me, is the same. Even thinking "I'm not good at putting" is not constructive, so stop. Focus on specifically how you are going to make the putt. Then you are bending your will toward the solution rather than the problem.

In my limited experience, putting is a very individual thing, and it seems like the main thing they teach at these putting workshops is the mental aspect of it, so train your head to stay Zen when you golf. Whatever happens on the course, good or bad, just keep moving and put it behind you.

Barodapride, I know you are a better putter than you think. Past results do not predict present performance.

Last edited:
Well I don't know if it was confidence idea or my new gateway warlock or both but I did great ending only 2 over at hudson mills yesterday! Only missed a few putts but hey that happens!

Can't remember the name of the woman who was giving the putting portion of the clinic, but it was her:

1450992362_b3844840f0.jpg

That's looks like Valarie Jenkins, the #2 ranked woman in the world.

Hey, do you think she made that putt or not? Looks to me like it might miss left...

Latest posts