• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Rethinking mids

I spent the first 5-6 years in this game trying to be a minimalist. Over time I found it best to add a mold any time I felt something missing on the course. I carry more molds than others because I throw FH and BH equally on the course but I don't feel like there is a situation possible out there that I don't have an answer for.

I really like Nikko Locastro's latest ITB video. He keeps a lot of different molds in the bag because he knows how to use them for different speed controls instead of trying to get one mold to do a lot of different things. If you have time to learn them and be decisive, it's ok to add molds.

+1 on this, especially the last paragraph. While I do limit myself to what I can carry in my Fade Crunchbox bag, I don't try to just carry one mold to do multiple things when I can carry 2 molds suitable for more specific purposes. Carry what ya need to to get the best results ya can.

I guess I should rephrase a bit. The nutsac I carry has all the shots I need for my home course minus maybe one specific shot. Secondly if I did carry 20 discs i would certainly carry multiples of molds but by can't justify, I meant more of... Can't afford.

My suggestion would be an Elite X Stratus. A true understable disc. Fun disc to learn too.

Have had and thrown an ESP Meteor for many years and it is very workable on many lines, but it typically needs to be put on that line you want unless you are giving it some power and distance then it will give you the turn you are looking for. Goes a lot farther than most mids due to its glide.

The Comet is taller in the hand which I don't like, especially in ESP, sometimes that molds up higher. It also still has enough stability like the Meteor that it can be thrown on many different lines and you might find that you have the same results as the Meteor.

If I threw Buzzzes I would go: ESP Zone - Z Buzzz - ESP Buzzz (thrashed). Maybe a Buzzz SS too but I'd definitely have the Z and a beat to snot ESP one to do most of everything. I'm just not crazy about Discraft base plastic. The Zone would be all the OS I'd need and if you beat one up pretty good it's basically the Buzzz's small diameter (which I prefer for wind/OS duties) OS brother.

Solid advice right here. One Zone in the bag can do a lot and goes about as far as a mid. Also I've found that FLX Buzzzs can be nice and understable especially when beat. That might be a good option to compliment some Z and ESP Buzzzs if you don't go the Buzzz SS route. For a long time I bagged a Zone, two Z Buzzz, one FLX Buzzz and a Buzzz SS and always felt every shot was covered. I did eventually go the Roc3 route because I feel like they power down better and I can more consistently shape lines but the Buzzz is sweetness.

i use this: Bard, Truth/Mace/M2(still deciding on which one behaves the best for me), Wombat/Claymore

i find that i am able to approach with my putters better than mids, so that is why i am in this struggle of picking a neutral/os mid.

but unless you flick a lot, check out this wombat (fun name to yell out when tossing it)

I think this is what's making it difficult for me. If I go comet it's much more finesse (which I'm not terrible at.. I can get the comet close to 300' but haven't really tested myself beyond that) but when throwing a Wasp or Buzzz it's more of a power throw. I don't very much like having to make that adjustment thought not too difficult.

You say you don't carry terribly os mids. Can you elaborate as to why or point me in the right direction? I'm deliberately carrying a nutsac because I really want to learn how to work discs in more lines rather than one disc for each line.. I struggle with indecision in this way.
Yeah, there's a pretty big speed gap between the Buzzz and Comet, definitely a learning curve shifting gears between them. The Fuse is my Comet while I primarily throw hard, Buzz like discs like the Nebula, Evidence and Breaker I have to occasionally lean on the Fuse (and Polecat) to get the OAT out of my form.

I carry a Breaker and a Banshee so between the two an OS mid isn't really needed. I use my Banshee a lot for headwinds, thumbers, FH, FH rollers, etc and the Breaker is a terrifically HSS putter that's easy to range and huck down short, wooded holes. A Drone or whatever would just take up space.
My issue is that I threw so many discs and while I understood what each disc should do I struggled at certain things. For instance if I wanted to put anhyzer on a throw id roll my wrist or trying to hyper flip and throwing to the moon. These were by products of only throwing discs flat and carrying around 16. Not to mention I only pulled about 6 of those 16 for a given round. The nutsac I have easily holds 8 including 2 putters.

I'm trying to roll with 2 to 3 mids, 2 putters, and 3 to 4 drivers. I know for a fact it does limit me to a degree but not nearly as much as I thought. Secondly, and maybe more confusing, I want to improve my game but I really am just a casual player and can't really justify carrying 20 discs. I do have an Innova starter back so I can add multiple discs if I need to but I rarely use that.
IME the mold for every shot approach works good for courses you're really familiar with. It's when you start playing courses blind that the minimalism really shines. Once you get a core set of discs you know like the back of your hand your confidence will skyrocket. It's great for tourneys too and I think most players would be kidding themselves if they said they didn't lean on their favorites. Most tourney guys carry a gazillion discs but it's really their core go-to's, the backups to those discs and then some better to have and not need than to need and not have discs. On a good day you can get adventurous with disc selection and it will pay off, give you that little bit of edge to turn a good round into a great round. On a bad day you're way better off keeping it nice and simple with your security blanket discs instead of chasing that perfect line.

If you're still reading this I'll keep typing. The 2 putter approach was hard for me. I'm anal about my putter getting knicked up so the Breaker became my throwing putter (with power). The Polecat became my throwing putter (with finesse). I used to combine these roles with an Ion but I felt like the extreme strengths of the two outweighed the versatility of the one. 2-3 mids is easy though, even though I have a serious mid fetish. My trusty Nebula for dependable HSS and decent LSS still and the Fuse for US finesse goodness. An Evidence or Squall sneaks in between the two for sneaky long frozen ropes through the woods and b/c my bag has the space. 3-4 drivers is a good number starting out. An OS utility disc, stable workhorse, an US complement to the workhorse and an all-purpose Max D driver for funsies and to grow into is a good set-up.