• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RHBH, turning right to left and landing level?

DiscFifty

Banned
Getting an understable disc to fly (rhbh) left to right and land level is easy enough. But I havn't found a disc to do the same thing when turning right to left. They always fade all the way to a skip at the end of their flight. I realize you could throw a very understable disc at an extreme hyzer and it will try to flip up, but you're dealing with alot of variables at that point and the flight path is more of an s-curve. I'm looking for a nice turn to the left with the disc landing level. I apologize in advance if this is a noobish question, but I just woke from a dream where I was throwing rhbh throws and they were all turning left and landing level and I was like....wtf? I've never had a throw like that? lol.. Is this even possible? If yes...any video of the shot? Thx.

Getting an understable disc to fly (rhbh) left to right and land level is easy enough. But I havn't found a disc to do the same thing when turning right to left. They always fade all the way to a skip at the end of their flight. I realize you could throw a very understable disc at an extreme hyzer and it will try to flip up, but you're dealing with alot of variables at that point and the flight path is more of an s-curve. I'm looking for a nice turn to the left with the disc landing level. I apologize in advance if this is a noobish question, but I just woke from a dream where I was throwing rhbh throws and they were all turning left and landing level and I was like....wtf? I've never had a throw like that? lol.. Is this even possible? If yes...any video of the shot? Thx.

Dave, that isn't going to happen. The physics of discs won't allow it. The best you can do is get a plastic that won't skip -- and those are out there. But when a disc is turning that direction, it absolutely will not be flat ...

If you truly understand what stability is, then you know that disc is trying to get to the ground, which inevitably means it'll be wing down when it goes that direction.

No disc will do that as stated above.

Probably not what you want to hear but, you can get that flight from a RHFH! :p

how about a neutral midrange disc or putter? yes, it will scoot slightly upon landing, but not too much - yea?

Pro Rhyno. Again, as araytx stated, it is about the plastic. A Blowfly Blunt will not get much skip either.

Somewhat related, what technique and disc combo gets the most left fade? I play a couple of holes where a mando is very close to the box. The hole is shaped like a backwards L that tipped over. Overstable mids just dump. Forehand rollers have, so far, gotten me the farthest left. Was thinking of an understable mid or putter with a lot of hyzer?

PMantle: definitely something that is understable thrown on a steep hyzer with some height. That way it can hold a slight hyzer angle without dumping out of it like something OS will.

Best option for no skip is probably a true stable disc thrown on a sweep hyzer angle. I'm imagining a mellow Roc flight that holds right to left the whole flight with just a few degrees of edge down and it settles down and slides when it hits the ground.

For me if I want just that little bit of right to left after a straight flight, I crush a disc that is a bit OS and too much disc for the shot, really low (so it wants to carry 30-50' further but you're not letting it because you threw it less than 6' high). If you have super short grass or dirt this may risk insane skips if the edge of the disc is down too much, but if it's not a Firebird or something it's often ok. I like using an SPD for this shot.

Somewhat related, what technique and disc combo gets the most left fade? I play a couple of holes where a mando is very close to the box. The hole is shaped like a backwards L that tipped over. Overstable mids just dump. Forehand rollers have, so far, gotten me the farthest left. Was thinking of an understable mid or putter with a lot of hyzer?

Just my $0.02 :

Depending on how narrow the fairway is, you could try to shape a RHFH spike annie around the corner. That's a similar shot to the forehand roller you mentioned, but if you throw higher (and maybe more stable/OS) it will level out and glide rather than just flipping and rolling.

Use a disc that that will fade predictably. Throw it on an anhyzer angle so that it will clear the mando, but be turning sharply to the left. You aren't actually getting a true "anhyzer" flight where the disc flips because of the high speed turn; it's on an annie line out of your hand because of the release angle. (If that feels funny, it might help to think of it as a partial tomahawk. For example, if you release the disc on a 45° angle, you're exactly halfway between a vertical tommy and a horizontal forehand.)

Once the disc has turned around the mando it will start to level off and fly straight along the second portion of the fairway. While it's on the anhyzer line it will be dropping pretty quickly, that's why you want to spike it. Give it enough height that it has time to level out and glide.

The reason that this shot might make it farther left is because the leftward portion of the flight isn't the hyzer, it's between the anhyzer and the hyzer. That's where you'll get more glide.

Understable spike hyzer. It should clear the tight dogleg the same way a overstable spike would, but instead of crashing to the ground flip up and glide. One of my favorite shots to throw, as I'm pretty darned good at it.

The above is also the answer to the OP's question