• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Another newbie question

Rickcin

Bogey Member
I'm trying to determine the flight path of various discs, overstable (left) stable (straight) and understable (right) while regardless of the disc I throw, or what I see online or on YouTub, they All seem to curve left at the end of their flight!

I guess I'm not understanding something?

The spin imparted on the disc (I'm assuming you are Right Hand Back Hand) is clockwise when you throw. This "spin" starts out fast and slows down during the flight of the disc. The initial clockwise spin will attempt to pull a disc to the right (more understable discs will pop up and turn over to the right because of the speed and spin and the understable discs inability to resist this). As the disc slows down and loses spin the clockwise spin will pull the left front side of the disc down and cause the disc to "fade" back to the left. The faster the speed of the disc, the faster is will slow down below its intended flight speed. This is a VERY over simplified explanation. But the thing to take a way is (regardless of stability, flight numbers or otherwise) discs begin to try and fade as they slow down in the air. Not all discs will make it back to fading left (depends on angle thrown, stability, height given, speed thrown, etc) but as a general rule as discs slow down they try and fade. Hope this helps.

Even simpler... when the disc is nose up or underpowered it fades (left for RHBH), this is normal.

You are likely throwing very nose up and/or not achieving cruising speed/spin for the disc.

The idea is to extend the flight before the fade. Heavy weight or a high speed disc are harder to get up to speed.

Do you have an understable mid or putter? Something with a rating like
(2 to 5 speed) 5 -2 0 or a comet?

Something like a Paradox should definitely hold a turn without fading left.. I think it's 5 5 -3 0 ?

I'm trying to determine the flight path of various discs, overstable (left) stable (straight) and understable (right) while regardless of the disc I throw, or what I see online or on YouTub, they All seem to curve left at the end of their flight!

I guess I'm not understanding something?

Possibly. Overstable and understable don't mean left and right, exactly. For a left hander throwing backhand or a right hander throwing forehand, you would have to reverse the directions.

Yes, almost all discs fade. Not all discs turn (move in the direction opposite their fade) first. Understable discs do that. Overstable discs do not. Since you are apparently throwing right-hand backhand, you might notice that if you get an understable disc spinning fast enough, it will turn right before fading left. The overstable disc just fades left. And, other factors (e.g nose up release, release too slow for the disc) may make the understable disc appear overstable for you. It is still trying to move against the direction of fade, and will do so as soon as you throw it more properly. This will be easier to see in discs that are "slow", again remembering that this actually means that they can achieve their predicted shot shape at lower spin rates.

You can also potentially see these behaviors by throwing with an anhyzer release. The overstable disc will turn relatively little, then flex and fade in an s-shaped flight. The understable disc will likely continue to turn and may well roll over and dive to the ground, possibly rolling.

Here is how it was explained to me at one time. For a Right Hand BackHand thrower.....

If you aim straight at the basket and throw the disc flat (at the speed needed to make the disc perform as it is designed to)....

A 'stable' (0 turn 0 fade) disc will go straight to the basket, with a slight bit of fade at the end. Ending near the basket.
An overstable disc (for example, 0 turn 2 fade) will go straight towards the basket for a while and then fade to the left - more left fade than a 'stable' disc; ending up left of the basket.
An understable disc (for example -2 turn 1 fade) will start off going to the right of the basket but then have a bit of left turn at the end; still ending up to the right of the basket.

The numbers are important to give an idea of how what the disc does. A -1/1 will start off to the right of the basket and then come back left....because the numbers are the same (both 1's), it should end up back at the basket. The larger one of the number is, the more the disc will go that way.

Again, that is only true if you throw the disc at the intended speed and spin with no wind; and flat. Add a wind and the disc will react differently, change the speed and/or spin....the disc will react differently. Add hyzer angle or anhyzer angle...the disc will react differently.

You should only use the numbers as a guideline....you won't know what the disc actually does until you throw it.

Even simpler... when the disc is nose up or underpowered it fades (left for RHBH), this is normal.

You are likely throwing very nose up and/or not achieving cruising speed/spin for the disc.

The idea is to extend the flight before the fade. Heavy weight or a high speed disc are harder to get up to speed.

Do you have an understable mid or putter? Something with a rating like
(2 to 5 speed) 5 -2 0 or a comet?

Something like a Paradox should definitely hold a turn without fading left.. I think it's 5 5 -3 0 ?
I do have a Dynamic Warrant that's 5 5 -2 0 and I'm guessing I do throw with a nose up and you guessed it, I'm throwing RHBH.

I do have a Dynamic Warrant that's 5 5 -2 0 and I'm guessing I do throw with a nose up and you guessed it, I'm throwing RHBH.
Gotcha, I haven't thrown one but the numbers seem decent. It could take a little while to break the disc in and knock the new off, especially if there's flashing on the bottom rim.

Throw it with a little anhyzer (try for nose down/flattish) towards the base of the basket. It will be much easier to do if you have a downhill hole then you should see some turn.

Downhill holes are excellent to see how your disc would react if you had an extra 50' of power. It forces you to throw nose down and you aren't fighting gravity as much.

Here is how it was explained to me at one time. For a Right Hand BackHand thrower.....

If you aim straight at the basket and throw the disc flat (at the speed needed to make the disc perform as it is designed to)....

A 'stable' (0 turn 0 fade) disc will go straight to the basket, with a slight bit of fade at the end. Ending near the basket.
An overstable disc (for example, 0 turn 2 fade) will go straight towards the basket for a while and then fade to the left - more left fade than a 'stable' disc; ending up left of the basket.
An understable disc (for example -2 turn 1 fade) will start off going to the right of the basket but then have a bit of left turn at the end; still ending up to the right of the basket.

The numbers are important to give an idea of how what the disc does. A -1/1 will start off to the right of the basket and then come back left....because the numbers are the same (both 1's), it should end up back at the basket. The larger one of the number is, the more the disc will go that way.

Again, that is only true if you throw the disc at the intended speed and spin with no wind; and flat. Add a wind and the disc will react differently, change the speed and/or spin....the disc will react differently. Add hyzer angle or anhyzer angle...the disc will react differently.
snow rider 3d
You should only use the numbers as a guideline....you won't know what the disc actually does until you throw it.
If you have a downhill hole to work with, then you should start to see some turn in the road. It will make the task much simpler.