• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RHFH Initial Wobble

Smelvis

Par Member
I am a natural forehand thrower, but all my buds are have an initial wobble with their forehands. :confused: I can't explain why I am so good and they are so bad. I have no idea.

Is it the grip? Release? What is it?

FH wobble is typically a lack of wrist snap and moving the arm too fast for the wrist to snap. Could be also be a grip issue, or OAT from rolling the wrist with the palm facing down on the follow through.

I am also a RHFH thrower & I get this every once in a while & I'm curious as well. For the most part the discs will stop wobbling & go relatively straight after that. For me it seems to come later on in a round, so maybe loss of momentum is a cause?

I am a natural forehand thrower, but all my buds are have an initial wobble with their forehands. :confused: I can't explain why I am so good and they are so bad. I have no idea.

Is it the grip? Release? What is it?

It's in the release (and snap) The more you practice the smoother it will get.

Last edited:
I think its more to do with the disc than the thrower.
I wobble Wraiths, TeeRex's and Destroyers forehand, but faster discs like my Xcal and Boss fly smooth and silent.

I too think it may be discs. My Buzz & Coyote (mids) wobble at release but the XS and Avenger (drivers) stay fast & straight.

What you all are describing sounds exactly like a sign of OAT. Especially the part of seeing it on slower discs more than the faster ones.

I dont know much about it forehand though so not much I can help you with. I was looking for an article for OAT repair but cant seem to find it.

For me, the more pronounced the bead, the more difficult it is to get a clean throw. Discs with a flatter bottom (Venom, Gator(Star), Buzz) are easier to get a smooth release. For discs that have a bead (Predator, Wasp, etc.) I find I have to move my pointer finger to more of a "peace sign" position as opposed to being stacked directly behind the middle finger to get a clean release.

Grip adjustments will mean little though if the arm speed is greater than the wrist snap or if there are OAT issues as described above.

Sounds like the disc is "fluttering". IMO, this is usually an indication of not having a secure grip on the disc when released. With a FH, OAT is not as much of a big deal since many drives are done with overstable plastic using the "wing up". I am not a dominant FH thrower but tend to flutter my FH tosses whenever I do not have a good grip or try to throw too hard. Work on a good grip and see if the flutter disappears and then that might help in working out any form issues. The grip is very important and at times it can even help out to squeeze your grip on the tee pad to get the muscles and tendons ready.