• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thumb placement for FH throws

ebailey23

Hello,

I have experimented with two thumb placements for forehand throws.

1. Pinched with my fingers under the disc.
2. Thumb placed on the rim.

With placement 1, the majority of my throws would roll over. They also came out with a decent wobble.

Placement 2 has fewer rollovers and still comes out with a wobble but not near as bad.

I am curious what others experience with forehand grips and specifically thumb placement. Thanks in advance.

I fiddle around with various finger placements but the only way I can throw smoothly is using a split finger grip. So I generally use some form of #1, but with the pinch between the fingers (as they're split). Monkeying with thumb placement doesn't change much for me.

One thing regarding wobble that I've noticed recently is that in every grip besides split finger, when I press the disc into my thumb webbing, the edge slips past my index finger knuckle. So on exit it "bounces" against that knuckle. Split finger turns that knuckle a little, just enough to have less of a bump and a cleaner exit.

I'm trying to find alternatives but so far I'm limited by that grip. I'm totally envious of everyone getting those buttery smooth FH releases.

Like Waddball is talking about I don't push the disc back deep into the thumb webbing like some pros talk about. I rest the wing on top the knuckle so it comes out clean and the bottom of the rim doesn't have to drag over the knuckle.
8kGyrkph.png

I just had some fieldwork today, regarding FH finger placement.

I'm usually going with a stacked grip, with the thumb on the edge of the rim(going in to the flight plate.. if that makes sense?) Creating pressure with the thumb, the fingers under the disc and the two on the outside.

Today i tried a pinch grip (Ryan Sheldon got a video on this). Basically creating a pinch point between my middle finger and thumb, fingerprint to fingerprint. I had some issues with my release, but still had a few shots pushing 400.

Wobble can be caused by a lot of things. In my opinion, most of it comes from oat or a wrist issue.

Like Waddball is talking about I don't push the disc back deep into the thumb webbing like some pros talk about. I rest the wing on top the knuckle so it comes out clean and the bottom of the rim doesn't have to drag over the knuckle.
8kGyrkph.png

Seen quite a few big distance FH throwers with the same "resting" place for the disc. I'm more curious about your pinky And ring finger. Usually they're on the outside of the rim, yours is underneath it? How's that for control and clean releases?

8kGyrkph.png
I've struggled with this grip in the past. It avoids the knuckle problem, but I have a tough time releasing with any snap (it wants to slosh around).

But hey, I apparently should try everything all over again, as nothing is really working so nothing to lose.

Seen quite a few big distance FH throwers with the same "resting" place for the disc. I'm more curious about your pinky And ring finger. Usually they're on the outside of the rim, yours is underneath it? How's that for control and clean releases?
I've been accused of using a four finger FH grip, lol. I keep the pinky and ring finger under the wing for more control and doesn't affect power. When the wrist starts going those fingers are out of the way.

Wobble can be caused by a lot of things. In my opinion, most of it comes from oat or a wrist issue.
I find it comes from either, grip issue, or lack of finger clenching, or incorrect sequencing. When the load and sequence is correct you can oat or roll your wrist/shape shots without wobble issues.

I think any true Forehand grip has one essential component: at least 2nd or 3rd finger (index/pointer or middle) placed along rim to allow the wrist to flex to extend the disc. Whatever is done with the other fingers is not that important. Personally, I have fairly narrow but long fingers and can stack 2nd and 3rd together (some call it a power grip, I guess) for any disc. I use it for all forehand throws, something that came from some history with ultimate. As for the thumb, Sexton mentioned somewhere to wedge the disc into the webbing between index and thumb. I find that does help add some security to my grip.

I'm confused by the OP's post: I can't think of any way to have the thumb under the disc with the other fingers? Strange.

I do my thumb really weird, but the thumb, if you ask me, is there for 2 reasons.
Angle control on the disc, and keeping it from bouncing out on the swing.

Most wobble, in my opinion, comes from an incompatible grip with your body or throwing form, or the fact you're trying to huck the disc, vs fly the disc. And/or both.

I can purposefully roll my wrist and get forehands to come out smooth. It's not what you want to do, but there are a few shots that require it.

I'd honestly been throwing bad forehands lately and for some reason got lazy with my thumb placement. Pushed my thumb placement back to the way I've always done it, which is.. weird. And my forehands stopped coming out on a hyzer again. haha.

Gosh that was annoying.

I've struggled with this grip in the past. It avoids the knuckle problem, but I have a tough time releasing with any snap (it wants to slosh around).

But hey, I apparently should try everything all over again, as nothing is really working so nothing to lose.

I had to mess around with the finger pressures and heft it around alot until I got it leveraged consistently, but for me it drastically reduced OAT and added control. I usually only throw them at upshot range because my FH form is otherwise still pretty bad, but the grip made what I'm working with more usable and also took torque off my shoulder and elbow.

I don't think the thumb placement is that critical. It just needs to be comfortable and stable once you've settled on the rest of the grip (stacked, pinch/claw, power, split, etc). Just make sure the pad of your middle finger is solidly against the rim, not the flight plate (with the possible exception of touchy upshots).

Hello,

I have experimented with two thumb placements for forehand throws.

1. Pinched with my fingers under the disc.
2. Thumb placed on the rim.

With placement 1, the majority of my throws would roll over. They also came out with a decent wobble.

Placement 2 has fewer rollovers and still comes out with a wobble but not near as bad.

I am curious what others experience with forehand grips and specifically thumb placement. Thanks in advance.

Along with all the other advice you are getting...let me add this. What type of top does the disc have? I find a flat top disc comes out better than a domed disc. The more dome a disc has the more it seems to 'droop' coming out of my grip and it ends up hyzering.

Along with all the other advice you are getting...let me add this. What type of top does the disc have? I find a flat top disc comes out better than a domed disc. The more dome a disc has the more it seems to 'droop' coming out of my grip and it ends up hyzering.

This is why I changed how I did my thumb on forehands and use the side of my thumb.
Domey discs dont bother me, Cause I adjust my throw angle with my thumb, not my arm.

It's a bit weird, but it works.

If I want a hyzer release on a forehand, I just relax my thumb placement a bit and can get an easy slight hyzer without having to change my arm angle.