• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rit dye questions

its an emulsifier. it makes the dye sheet off instead of beading and gives you better results.;)

So I'm only able to find liquid Rit, (which I hear is better). They have solid but only in a few colors. The first time I did a dye I used a bottle of Rit and about a cup of water. It still took a while to get it nice and dark, and I did heat it. Can anyone recommend a mixture with the liquid rit? I think I should be using more water. Also I've heard something about adding acetone to the mix, but that sounds strange. Also any recommendations on a budget plastic that takes dyes? I've used Champ to good effect, I've heard star is good, but I wanted to make some dyes for my friends without having to shell out for premium plastic every time.

Anything but DX works well. DX will work but it's really not even worth it in the end. I like Z and Champ the best, Star then Pro. Pro will dye real nice but it will also fade the quickest. As far as mixtures I use half a bottle of liquid to about 32oz of water. I use one box of powder for 32oz of water. You can do a 2:1 mixture of Liquid Rit to Alcohol for painting. Some people mix acetone with the dye to allow it to set faster. I'm no plastic expert but I have heard that Acetone opens up the pores of the plastic to allow the dye to set better/faster. I have used an acetone/powdered rit and an Acetone/Liquid Rit mixture with good results.

I just bought a bottle of navy blue rit. I am going to put it on a star white disc. I'm wondering just how dark it will turn out. I have spent around 3 hours cutting my vinyl out for the blue on this one and really want it to go right.

No Liquid Red anywhere today so I picked up Wine. Will this be close? Kinda seems like it may try to be brownish? Anyone tried Wine Rit? Sweet thread!

I'm pretty sure I used wine on this disc, to give you an idea of what it looks like.
disc2.jpg

What are some of the brighter, more vibrant colors out there? I picked up some clear optos and want to be able to find them in the future!

oh, and has anyone used Teal?

I wanna go light blue with a white-ish spin dye on all my discs, does Lt blue show up real well or should I go darker?

Last edited:
Was thinking of doing the same with Navy Blue and Orange(Da Bears!), anyways, I've read that navy comes out almost black, is this true?

Is it bad to store rit dye mixtures in glass containers and reuse the solution, it seems to be working out for me. Just wondering if.there are "dangers" with that? It's definitely cost.efficient.

Is it bad to store rit dye mixtures in glass containers and reuse the solution, it seems to be working out for me. Just wondering if.there are "dangers" with that? It's definitely cost.efficient.

i hope not, because i store all mine in 2 liter plastic bottles. some are like 4 months old :| they still work just fine. make sure you shake the hell out of them, mix them up really good.

Latest posts