• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Road trip report - Flyboy/IDGC

gdub58

Birdie Member
The three of us (me, my son, and my nephew) left Cincinnati just after midnight on Friday, determined to play as much as we could over the three day weekend, highlighted by a round at Flyboy on Monday.

I drove the whole way (thank you, 5 hour energy!) while the youngsters slept, and we arrived in North Augusta around 9:00 after a quick stop for breakfast at the Huddle House (meh).

First stop was Hippodrome. From what we've heard/read, a very unique must-play course. Put our $5 in the box and with map in hand walked to the first tee. Wanted to play the black tees but only saw a red post. After much searching we figure it out - there are color-coded concrete circles in the ground. We also figure out that they've changed the layout and the map we got on this site wasn't current. Arrgghh.

Played like crap, so we decided to play another 18. Much easier the second time around except for a painful discovery. Nephew got disc caught high in a tree, so I picked up a rock to throw at it. After throwing it, looked down to see my hands and wrists covered in biting ants. Not cool.

Anyhow, after the second round we head across the border to Appling, GA and the IDGC. Was able to get a third round in before dark (the shorter Headrick course) and look around the pro shop/museum. Very nice facility, albeit out in the middle of nowhere.

Found a place to eat/stay in Thomson, and it was back to IDGC the next day. Only problem - the pro shop/museum isn't open on Sunday. Bummer.

Played the Warner course (7700'!) and the Jackson course (9300'!!), and then decided we should play one more round on the Headrick course before leaving the facility. Another full day!

Drove to Atlanta Sunday night and stayed at a very nice Microtel in Stockbridge. This was conveniently located to J.P. Moseley park, which was our "warm-up" before Flyboy. Arrived at 9:00, played the gold tees (8000'), and had the course to ourselves.

Then, on to Flyboy. Took about an hour from Moseley, and we arrived at noon. Got a quick tour from Kelly (awesome!) and found out we were going to be joined for our round by Phil Arthur - a real bonus to see how a world champion plays such a tremendous course. We were even the first to play a few new holes that were designed to make up for the holes that had to be removed. Can't say enough about the hospitality and quality of the disc golf. Some of those holes are very humbling, especially when you add the significant wind we had to contend with.

Drove back after the round and arrived back home exactly 72 hours after we left. 8 rounds, covering over 64,000 feet.

Tired, but some great memories.

That's awesome. Sounds like a great trip (other than the missteps at Hippodrome). How old are the boys? That's a lot for all but the most addicted!

Sounds like a really good time! Glad you've got something like that to do with the kids, some of my favorite memories from my childhood are road trips with my dad.

My son is 24, nephew is 27. I'm a year older than the two of them together.

Can't wait for the next trip - BG Ams!

That's incredible! If I played all those courses in a long weekend, I'd have a surgeon peering at my shoulder, slowly shaking his head.

Very, very, very envious.

It is my goal to make it back up there again soon,sucks the way people have treated that course.

Not only was it by my far my best disc golf experience to date,but it was probably one of the better days of my life,the scenery is so beautiful,and it was just a ridiculous amount of fun,it's what got me hooked for sure.