• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roc3x midrange

Anybody know how much more or less OS the rocx3 is compared to a mf roc3

My Star RocX3 is a little more overstable than my MF Roc3 (and my MF Roc3 isn't much more OS than my Champ Roc3s), but that's not saying a lot. Neither are anything resembling 'beefy'.

I got a 180gr Star RocX3 a month ago and wasn't initially impressed. I have KC Rocs that are more high speed stable. Seemed to be this weird glideless dumpy fade disc that I had no idea what to do with! So I shelved it.

But in the last few weeks, I have played a few 3 disc rounds (Aviar P&A, RocX3 and some fairway driver) and have used it as my only mid and approach disc.

I really like this disc! It's not a Roc though, it's more like a slower Eagle-X! Which is a good thing because I really like Eagles. I find it very accurate and range-able, have no problem powering it down and it forehands very well for me. I was using it for a lot of shots that I would normally throw a Rhyno on and it was doing fine. Going to pull the Rhynos out of my bag for a few weeks and see how this works out, I prefer the larger size for forehand approaches. We'll see how it goes.

Take this with a grain of salt, sample of one, I can only throw this disc 260ft on a full rip and I haven't thrown a champion RocX3, so I have nothing else to compare it to.

Question: has anyone thrown both the Champion and Star RocX3s and can compare their flights and stabilities? TIA.

Bumpity bump. Anyone know the answer to this yet?

Bumpity bump. Anyone know the answer to this yet?

Not 100% sure and I personally don't have a lot of experience with the RocX3 but I have thrown my fair share of Roc3's and other Roc variants. Innova is pretty universally MF, Champ, Star, Gstar. Surely there are exceptions to this rule.

Anyone throw the DX RX3?

I throw my star a good bit for subdued glide shots. As stated earlier, they like a longer Scale/Rhyno.

Not really super OS but they slow and crash whereas my Ranchos hover.

Also seems to fly pretty slowly due to the blunt nose.

^Picked one up a couple of month's ago, but haven't thrown it enough to form an opinion.

Still wondering what the RocX3's purpose in life is. Having said that, I was idly contemplating replacing my Hornet with my Star RocX3 for a round or two to see how it does...

Anyone throw the DX RX3?

I throw my star a good bit for subdued glide shots. As stated earlier, they like a longer Scale/Rhyno.

Not really super OS but they slow and crash whereas my Ranchos hover.

Also seems to fly pretty slowly due to the blunt nose.

Does that mean no more gila in your bag?

Last edited:
Still wondering what the RocX3's purpose in life is. Having said that, I was idly contemplating replacing my Hornet with my Star RocX3 for a round or two to see how it does...

The Z Hornet is what I was wishing the RocX3 would be. Oh well, it's hard to get that flight out of a large diameter mid.

I liked my Star RocX3 when I was throwing Rocs. It had just enough added stability to basically fly a Roc3 line but in a 5-10 mph headwind. In calm winds or tailwinds it's kind of clunky and glideless though.

I like my Verdict better than a RocX3, but that wasn't the reason I switched. The main reason is that the Emac Truth is longer AND more wind resistant than a regular Roc3, so it was the better choice as my workhorse mid. The fact that the Verdict also works better for me is icing on the cake. But the RocX3 was a really nice mold, and I could throw one in the bag in lieu of my Verdict and not notice a difference unless the winds get above 15 mph

DX RocX3s are out there. I want a beefier DX Roc3 (still in glidey DX but will flex out), will the DX RocX3 be to my liking?

I've thrown RocX3s, and DX Roc3s, but never DX RocX3s. So take this with a grain of salt. But I wouldn't expect any DX disc to flex out of an anny after more than a few tree hits.

Have a couple DX color glow Roc X3's, finally put one in the bag to go with my flat top DX glow Rocs. Noticeably more fade than the Rocs which was one reason to adding it in the mix. Still too soon to say love/hate it. Also messing around with using it for some rollers as well.

DX RocX3s are out there. I want a beefier DX Roc3 (still in glidey DX but will flex out), will the DX RocX3 be to my liking?

First, my own experience with my sample-of-one Star RocX3 was that the RocX3 is not significantly beefier than the Star and Champ Roc3s I have... to the point I wondered what the purpose of the RocX3's existence was in the first place. I was very unimpressed with the RocX3.

Second, as someone above said, after some use a DX disc is going to begin seasoning in and losing its beefiness.

Ergo, IMHO you will be disappointed in a DX RocX3 if you are looking for a 'beefier' Roc3, especially after any amount of use.

Yes, I would get some. I recently purchased a Halloween stamp and shortly after purchased 4 DX Roc3X. They are my new favorite disc.

They throw like an overweight beefy KC Roc. What I really like is how they penetrate. If you want the definition of "forward fade" this would be it. These are not drones, they are Rocs, so don't think you can hork a 30 degree anny and have it flex back reliably. But if you throw it flat it WILL fade very reliably. My now well worn Halloween stamp shows zero flip and moderate fade. It will not fight out of a 30 degree anny even with height.

The thing that I notice most is the distance. I consistently go 30' past where I think I will land. This may be good or bad depending on how you use mids. These DX Roc3X are not distance controlling discs like a drone or firebird.

The thing that I notice most is the distance. I consistently go 30' past where I think I will land. This may be good or bad depending on how you use mids. These DX Roc3X are not distance controlling discs like a drone or firebird.

This is the perfect explanation of how they fly

They are OS rocs but they are not super beefy OS mids and they are still DX discs.

Took me a while to find this thread because the 3 comes after the X.

Picked up a DX RocX3 a couple weeks back and the thing was laser straight with a healthy fade. pretty high speed stable even in a little headwind. Based on that flight I decided to pick up a small stack of DX RX3s and a couple Glow Champ RX3s because I couldn't find any clear colorless champ and my color OCD is strong with discs. The Glow Champ RX3s are fantastically beefy and I love them, but the one new DX RX3 I tried to throw had some turn to it. Has anyone else experienced this with the mold, or might I have a lemon? for reference, the disc is 176g and I have only thrown 1 of the 4 so far. Not sure if the others have turn or if I was unintentionally turning it over.

Took me a while to find this thread because the 3 comes after the X.

Picked up a DX RocX3 a couple weeks back and the thing was laser straight with a healthy fade. pretty high speed stable even in a little headwind. Based on that flight I decided to pick up a small stack of DX RX3s and a couple Glow Champ RX3s because I couldn't find any clear colorless champ and my color OCD is strong with discs. The Glow Champ RX3s are fantastically beefy and I love them, but the one new DX RX3 I tried to throw had some turn to it. Has anyone else experienced this with the mold, or might I have a lemon? for reference, the disc is 176g and I have only thrown 1 of the 4 so far. Not sure if the others have turn or if I was unintentionally turning it over.

Sample size of 1, but I'm not getting any turn from my DX RX3. Not super overstable by any means, but fights turn very well. I'm throwing regular DX Roc3s up to 300' for reference.

Latest posts