• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roc3x midrange

My guess is the PDGA finally got around to getting Innova to approve the Roc3. While I was looking at the specs for it I foumd the Aviar 3. Seems like a similar concept but I'm not sure.

Innova-Champion DiscsRoc3X
180.9g
21.8 dia
2.0 height
1.4 rim dpth
19.0 inside rim diameter
1.4 rim thickness

Last edited:
My guess is the PDGA finally got around to getting Innova to approve the Roc3. While I was looking at the specs for it I foumd the Aviar 3. Seems like a similar concept but I'm not sure.

I don't think any of the 3series were forced to be recertified at the time. So you could be right...

I think this is a "new" disc or likely another Roc retool. It says approved 2-22-17 and they do have a history of making slightly different versions of a disc and labeling it X...

I did a search and couldn't find anything. Maybe one you guys can start a FB discussion as i'm not on it nor do I throw a roc...

An easy to get replacement for good Sents, flat, and in Champ plastic. I'd check that out.

An OS Roc3 would be great.

I'm more interested in this Aviar3 though.

Someone traded one of these in at a local PIAS, it was marked avr3, it was actually really cool, it was like a shaman or harp in terms of how flat it was, but had the same bottom half of an aviar. Not 100% sure if it was the aviar3 that was said but the marking put me towards that idea. Definitely interesting, didn't pick it up though cause I had already found some discs to buy instead and I didn't know what the hell it was.

Huh. Interesting. Hopefully absolutely nothing related to V anything. Overstable roc3 would be tits ( . )( . )

Someone traded one of these in at a local PIAS, it was marked avr3, it was actually really cool, it was like a shaman or harp in terms of how flat it was, but had the same bottom half of an aviar. Not 100% sure if it was the aviar3 that was said but the marking put me towards that idea. Definitely interesting, didn't pick it up though cause I had already found some discs to buy instead and I didn't know what the hell it was.

Interesting.

Beadless?

This is interesting. I'm assuming if they called it that for certification, it means this must share at least SOME mold parts with the Roc3 (or else use parts with a very similar design). Since it's the -3, that means the flatter top mold piece almost for sure. I'd guess it might also share the bottom piece but use a tweaked wing piece to give it more overstability. I suppose that means it COULD be beadless. However, I seriously doubt Innova would market anything with the Roc name if it didn't have a bead. I mean, hasn't pretty much every incarnation of the Roc had a bead? The name kind of loses its meaning if it's beadless. I suppose they could have just used Roc3x for certification and plan on using a completely different name when the disc is released though.

the deeper and wider rim certainly point towards the ability to be more OS since there should be more mass in the rim.

Roc:
rim depth: 1.3cm
rim width: 1.2cm

Roc3X:
rim depth: 1.4cm
rim width: 1.4cm

the deeper and wider rim certainly point towards the ability to be more OS since there should be more mass in the rim.

Roc:
rim depth: 1.3cm
rim width: 1.2cm

Roc3X:
rim depth: 1.4cm
rim width: 1.4cm

Oh I didn't notice that! The overall diameter is also 21.8 cm in the Roc3x vs 21.7 cm in the Roc. That implies it might have a different bottom mold piece AND wing piece I suppose. IF the PDGA rim width and diameter measurements are accurate (never assured), the inner mold piece would have to be slightly smaller to accommodate the wider rim since the overall diameter is only 0.1 cm larger where the rim is 0.2 cm larger. The inner rim diameter is also listed at 19.0 cm for the Roc3x vs 19.3 cm for the Roc, which also implies a different inner mold piece.

Of course, another (more likely) possibility is that the disc sample they sent to the PDGA for this mold was in champion plastic. The old Roc that was certified would have been a DX disc (1987 DX). The shrinkage rates are less in champion, which might account for the 0.1-0.2 cm differences (also probably a different person measuring now with different tools than in 1987). The VRoc is also listed as having a 21.8 cm overall diameter, 19.0 cm inner rim diameter, and 1.4 cm rim width just like the Roc3x, and I thought the only difference between the VRoc mold and the Roc was the convex wing piece.

I'm really curious now whether they will try to market this with the Roc name or go with a different name. Seems like they stopped using the -X terminology publicly in their marketing names a long time ago because it confused people.

Latest posts