• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rock Hil,SC - 8/19

scunham

Double Eagle Member
I will be coming down to the area and wanted to see if anyone wanted to take me around the Winthrop Gold Course layout. I will be there around noon on Saturday August 19th.

As far as I know, gold doesn't exist except for the few weeks around usdgc.

Most if not all the baskets should be up. You might not be able to play holes like 888 or hole 5 in the current layout. From what I remember they do leave them up and replace the baskets every year on the course.

I'd be down if I were going to be in SC that week, but I'll be in either WV or OH.

Gold layout should be there minus the ropes. Don't know if they still use 888 for tournaments but there is a replacement hole there these days. Starts at a similar spot but plays a little under half the length of the original, just a short uphill hole with some punishing growth if you over shoot the green.

You can see the new #13 Here.

Don't know if there are any other videos out there showing the current gold layout, so you might want to watch mine all the way through before you visit. Navigation can be tricky at times with all the different baskets and whatnot.

Also, completely ignore any stone hole # signs placed in the ground, they're way off these days.

Hole #5's tee and basket are there, but the fairway is really popular with people sunbathing which is why we skipped it.

Last edited:
You should be able to play most of Gold (albeit without the ropes). Bring a map as it can be confusing with the Lakefront course overlayed.

888 will be back in it's typical position for USDGC, it's just too dangerous to leave in that position all year round.

And IMO, go play Renny Gold or Nevin instead of Winthrop without the ropes. Winthrop loses all of it's teeth without the ropes. MA2 players (like myself) can shoot par rounds without the ropes but would have to shoot perfect golf to be < 80 with the ropes.

i don't mind about playing the gold without the ropes. I am just taking a weekend trip to the area for my birthday and wanted to experience some of the course in first person rather then the videos from all the USDGC's that I've watched

How was your trip to Rock Hill/Charlotte? Did you end up playing Winthrop and/or any other local courses?

It was great ! I arrived on Saturday and played a few holes at hornets and had a picnic with my family . Then we relaxed a little before heading to Winthrop . Played most of the gold holes and a few lakeside around the lake . Parked the bamboo mando hole then finished playing 17 from the gold tee and 18 from the gold tee.
Woke up Sunday morning then played Nevin. Loved that course! Can't wait to go back to play Renny and more.

Definitely . Stayed at an awesome airbnb that was 10 minutes to hornets and 12ish to nevin .

So, are you already planning a return trip and which courses you'll need to play? Although, up in central VA, you've got plenty of great courses too.

Latest posts