• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rocky start, but having a ball!

Flizbee

My son used to talk about playing disc golf just all the time. Now at age 66, I'm trying new interests, so I thought, "Sure, I can throw a Frisbee - looks like fun.
(PART 1) Well, for my birthday, I went out and bought me a couple of a driver, and a faster & slower mid-range. The associate at Dick's Sporting Goods - a middle aged player said to forget the putter for now. (I think I should have forgotten the driver!) I went out on a ballfield, just to see what I could do. I had watched some YouTube videos on technique, and tried to duplicate the approach body spin, keep disc across and close to my chest, and really flick the thing. For an old guy, I thought I had a pretty good start; but then the next morning I was hurting all the way from right shoulder to right ankle -- but my right hip and right knee were the worst. And boy was I disappointed. I knew my new sport was done for. I wiped down those discs and took them straight back to Dick's.
(PART 2) You see, I injured my right knee years ago and I knew (but had forgotten) that the movement that my right knee can't tolerate is a lateral twist -- no way. After my knee pain was gone, I decided that I didn't have the strength, or the ability to use good throwing technique to heave the a heavy (relative to it's size) disc golf discs. So, I bought me an Ultimate Discraft disc -- more glide, less required power. Did practice throws, then actually took it to a course. People told me "Hey, you can get discs made for this game." I shared my excuse, and they said "As long as your having fun" -- which I was!
(PART 3) I have this philosophy that most obstacles can be overcome with a bit of adjustment in technique, procedure, or configuration. Technique: I spread my feet, probably a full yard apart, keep my feet planted, right foot toward my target, don't twist that knee, rotate my upper body, get as much flick as I can, and let her rip! Guess what? I can play without hurting myself, and am having a ball.
(PART 4) I went back to a sporting goods store (this time Dunhams) and bought me a mid-range disc, with good glide and a straight shooter. Had a good session on the ballfield, and looking forward to doing a course tomorrow. With the technique I am forced to use, I'm only throwing 150 - 175 feet. But who cares? I'll be playing just to try to beat my best. My present goal will be consistent bogeys. I think that may be doable. I'll let you know how I do. (And if you read this whole long-winded tale, you must be really bored!):p

Congrats on the new hobby/addiction! :)
I started playing this at 50, and appreciate the aches. Almost seven years into it, I am a little sore every time out, but there's usually a good throw or two per round that keep me coming back. I think you have the right philosophy: find a style that suits your body's needs and limitations, and have FUN.
Have you tried forehand (sidearm)? I don't use it much myself, but it seems to be easier on the knees. Likely to be bad for the elbow if not done smoothly, but I'm learning. My buddy just had knee surgery & is trying forehand only, with straddle putts, while he rehabs the right knee.
Finally, I find it interesting that the guy at Dicks steered a new player away from picking up a putter. 99% of the most experienced players will tell you to START with putters & mids.
No boredom here. Glad to hear your story.

Starrted playing around the 1st of the year at age 61. So far can only throw 175 to 200 ft. Once in while I let one go and it goes 250 but I have no idea how. But the idea is to have fun and get a little exercise. Managed to sink my first ace last week. Even though it was only a 158 ft. hole it made all the aggravating shots worth while. So just have fun !

i've been playing a long time and have had to adjust to injuries and physical limitations as i have accumulated them. Knee surgery in "82 , a completely dislocated right shoulder from a high speed motorcycle crash in '86 , a partial lung removal due to lung cancer in '94 and plantar fasciitis in my right foot/leg pain that moves from foot to hip to shoulder. i'm 59 and have no plans to discontinue my playing ever! you just have to adapt and overcome.

Here's what works for me:

throw lighter weight discs for drives and longer approaches . i suggest 150 class stable discs like a Champion Leopard as a driver.Roc or Buzz for medium length throws. inside of 60 ft i use putters that range from 167-172. Relax when throwing, tensing is a major mistake and can lead to injuries. this will help you develop a smooth throw. standstill throws are fine!

Forehand throws are MUCH easier on my body at the end of the day. you can still do a standstill and you will be amazed at the easy distance you can get. its all in the wrist as opposed to hucking a big backhand.

ALWAYS stretch and do some light bends twists and generally warm up.
i also make walking a part of my everyday routine, that has really helped my stamina along with giving up smoking and drinking alcohol.

i am scoring better now than i ever have and enjoy the game/sport as much as i ever have! good luck!
Gotta Go Gotta Throw :)

I am a spring chicken about 10 years younger, but will vouch for a light Leopard. have fun!

My son used to talk about playing disc golf just all the time. Now at age 66, I'm trying new interests, so I thought, "Sure, I can throw a Frisbee - looks like fun.
(PART 1) Well, for my birthday, I went out and bought me a couple of a driver, and a faster & slower mid-range. The associate at Dick's Sporting Goods - a middle aged player said to forget the putter for now. (I think I should have forgotten the driver!) I went out on a ballfield, just to see what I could do. I had watched some YouTube videos on technique, and tried to duplicate the approach body spin, keep disc across and close to my chest, and really flick the thing. For an old guy, I thought I had a pretty good start; but then the next morning I was hurting all the way from right shoulder to right ankle -- but my right hip and right knee were the worst. And boy was I disappointed. I knew my new sport was done for. I wiped down those discs and took them straight back to Dick's.
(PART 2) You see, I injured my right knee years ago and I knew (but had forgotten) that the movement that my right knee can't tolerate is a lateral twist -- no way. After my knee pain was gone, I decided that I didn't have the strength, or the ability to use good throwing technique to heave the a heavy (relative to it's size) disc golf discs. So, I bought me an Ultimate Discraft disc -- more glide, less required power. Did practice throws, then actually took it to a course. People told me "Hey, you can get discs made for this game." I shared my excuse, and they said "As long as your having fun" -- which I was!
(PART 3) I have this philosophy that most obstacles can be overcome with a bit of adjustment in technique, procedure, or configuration. Technique: I spread my feet, probably a full yard apart, keep my feet planted, right foot toward my target, don't twist that knee, rotate my upper body, get as much flick as I can, and let her rip! Guess what? I can play without hurting myself, and am having a ball.
(PART 4) I went back to a sporting goods store (this time Dunhams) and bought me a mid-range disc, with good glide and a straight shooter. Had a good session on the ballfield, and looking forward to doing a course tomorrow. With the technique I am forced to use, I'm only throwing 150 - 175 feet. But who cares? I'll be playing just to try to beat my best. My present goal will be consistent bogeys. I think that may be doable. I'll let you know how I do. (And if you read this whole long-winded tale, you must be really bored!):p
Played a 9 holes of a great course today, and mad a couple of pars! My first. Yay! Made a couple of good putts. I'm discovering every time I play - - it is better to throw for accuracy than distance. Right now I'm a one disc guy, using a Skeeter: slow, but good glide.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Made my first birdie this past Thursday. Hole 1, Catawba Meadows Morganton NC, 206 feet, 185 foot tee shot, about a 25 foot putt, felt great!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Latest posts