• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rules question

They should have reteed or shot from their previous lie +2 total strokes (original stroke plus bonus stroke for being lousy dubs players).

Players are allowed casual relief from brush piles that are comprised of dead logs, branches and twigs, but not living foliage or dead trees with branches that are still standing.

<<Is going to the course the night before a tournament and placing dead logs in all the briar patches. :p

Do you need group concurrence to take casual relief? I can definitely see a conflict when its tight and the shot is much worse without the relief

Do you need group concurrence to take casual relief? I can definitely see a conflict when its tight and the shot is much worse without the relief

I think it works. If your opponents are willing to give you relief from a terrible lie, then it must be absolutely terrible. :p

It doesn't specifically say that so I would say no.

It's right there at the end. Or just take a provisional and bring it up with the TD after the round.

803.05 B. Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are in the stance or run-up area: casual water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, people, or any item or area specifically designated by the director before the round. The player must first attempt to remove the obstacle. If it is impractical to move the obstacle, the player's lie may be relocated to the nearest lie which is no closer to the hole, is on the line of play, and is not more than five meters from the original lie, as agreed to by a majority of the group or an official (unless greater casual relief is announced by the director).

I think it works. If your opponents are willing to give you relief from a terrible lie, then it must be absolutely terrible. :p

But the question is do they need to concur or is it at the player's discretion.

Say I am tied with another player in a tourny. We are on the same card. We are on a par 4. We both drive short up the middle. They leave their approach short and have a 50 foote for birdie. I run it, but shank the shot into the deep woods in a pile of dead brush. If I can take casual relief I can easily get onto the green and down in 4. Without the relief there is a good chance my next shot will be three feet in front of my lie and I am looking at a 5.

If I can, I will take the relief. But does my opponent have to concur? It could really change the outcome

But the question is do they need to concur or is it at the player's discretion.

Say I am tied with another player in a tourny. We are on the same card. We are on a par 4. We both drive short up the middle. They leave their approach short and have a 50 foote for birdie. I run it, but shank the shot into the deep woods in a pile of dead brush. If I can take casual relief I can easily get onto the green and down in 4. Without the relief there is a good chance my next shot will be three feet in front of my lie and I am looking at a 5.

If I can, I will take the relief. But does my opponent have to concur? It could really change the outcome

If he doesn't then you just take a provisional throw and let the TD sort it out after the round.

It's right there at the end. Or just take a provisional and bring it up with the TD after the round.

803.05 B. Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are in the stance or run-up area: casual water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, people, or any item or area specifically designated by the director before the round. The player must first attempt to remove the obstacle. If it is impractical to move the obstacle, the player's lie may be relocated to the nearest lie which is no closer to the hole, is on the line of play, and is not more than five meters from the original lie, as agreed to by a majority of the group or an official (unless greater casual relief is announced by the director).

That means the distance is agreed, not the moving?

It's amazing how many question marks pop up above your head when you read the book isn't it?

That means the distance is agreed, not the moving?

Maybe there's too many commas in that sentence, but I'll break it down to my understanding.

If it is impractical to move the obstacle - this has to be agreed to by a majority of the group

the player's lie may be relocated to the nearest lie which is no closer to the hole - this has to be agreed to by a majority of the group

is on the line of play - this has to be agreed to by a majority of the group

and is not more than five meters from the original lie - this has to be agreed to by a majority of the group

I really didn't think it was that confusing, but whatever. REWRITE! :doh:

As is true for most rules where you're going to move an obstacle or relocate your lie, it's good to let your group know what you're doing just on principle. If they disagree, you have the option to play a provisional and let the TD sort it out.

As is true for most rules where you're going to move an obstacle or relocate your lie, it's good to let your group know what you're doing just on principle. If they disagree, you have the option to play a provisional and let the TD sort it out.

:thmbup: