• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Running and physical fitness

I don't believe running has anything to do with driving distance. For 2 years a was stuck at around 300' then i went from 300 ft to 400, in about 6 months and can't really tell you how I did it. I believe the increase was do to practice, technique, and disc control. Running definitely can help you play and practice longer but there is no substitute for developing good form.

@ HughesHilton & Mocheez:

As much as I'd like to bask in your support and admiration, I hear your momma calling.
She's gonna make you boys cut a switch if you don't finish your chores before going out to play.

Better get cracking'...

Like one of my old bosses like to say: 'People make the best toys.'

I am not trying to pick on you Dwindle. I work at a desk all day, so I could certainly benefit from a regular swimming routine. Yoga would be another alternative. And simple repetitive tasks such as what were shown in that Karate Kid clip are way better than nothing.

But I do have to cut the grass and get some dishes done, so thanks for the reminder.

From my personal experience in other sports (especially when punting and kicking for football), improving flexibility was a huge help. I would say that if all that running improved your flexibility, it might be what helped to increase your distance.

All over my head. But my personal research confirms that:

(1) Any exercise is better than no exercise (I've tested the latter far too much);

(2) Unless it injures you (which I've tested, far too often).

As much as I'd like to bask in your support and admiration, I hear your momma calling.
She's gonna make you boys cut a switch if you don't finish your chores before going out to play.

Oh you're right! She asked me to fetch you your walker since she just heard your PT driving up to help you with your mobility exercises.

I am a big fan of rowing to increase endurance while also working on my hip-hinge initiated power, but really we should be talking about the olympic lifts (for more hip power efficiency).

Nothing trains your body for generating power from the hips like proper Cleans and Snatches. Squats and deadlifts are important movements too, but don't have quite the same level of "total-body" exercise. Powerlifting is great, and I did it for years, but in my opinion powerlifting focuses too much on static positions (i.e. deadlift/squat/bench) instead of training the body to be athletic, balanced, and smooth, while remaining powerful throughout the entire range of human motion.

Don't go to a Crossfit gym though. Their programming is pretty stupid and they seemingly try to set you up for burnout, injury and failure from their "grind till you die approach" mixed with "more weight, more faster". Rest, diet, and periodicity of exercise are equally important as the actual exercise part.

I am 50. Joined a CrossFit place to be able to workout with my wife. 3 months in, and I am throwing farther than ever before, and I never get tired anymore no matter how many rounds I play. This coming from a guy who has had injections in both shoulders. Now, is it perfect? No. I really think snatch should never be done, especially by those over a certain age. Too much shoulder work in general. OTOH, it is about the best plan I can find here.

Barefoot running! Strong feet, strong arches. It's super fun too.

Interesting, talk to me more? I'm flatfooted and have had knee problems as a result over the years, it also doesn't help in disc golf. Where do you barefoot run? Is the idea you get rid of arch support so your foot muscles take over the strain? I tend to get cramp quite regularly in the arches after a couple of rounds of playing and would love to lose this!

Interesting, talk to me more? I'm flatfooted and have had knee problems as a result over the years, it also doesn't help in disc golf. Where do you barefoot run? Is the idea you get rid of arch support so your foot muscles take over the strain? I tend to get cramp quite regularly in the arches after a couple of rounds of playing and would love to lose this!

You don't actually have to run barefoot. They make shoes that essentially provide zero support but protect the bottom of your feet. The idea behind it is that we evolved to have a support structure (our feet) that is much better at absorbing impact than some silly gel or air pocket tucked under your heel.

If you're used to the traditional heel first style of running, it takes awhile to relearn how to run properly. It also takes awhile for your underused muscles and tendons in your feet and calves to strengthen. So take it easy at first if you're going to try it.

For me personally, it changed running from a mild form of torture to being actually somewhat enjoyable.

Finally, if you like to read, I highly recommend the book "Born to run". Even if you're not very interested in running it's a good read.

^^^^ I couldn't have said it better! Break into it on very short runs, like 2 blocks a day. You will be using foot muscles that have been unused for a long time and they will be SORE! I've been barefoot and minimal footwear running for about 3 months and I still keep it to about 2 miles, though I can run 3 days in a row now.

When I put on a more cushioned shoe, I maintain my fore foot/mid foot strike instead of my old form, which was a shin destroying heal strike and I too went from HATING running to looking forward to an evening jog.

... and Born to Run was the reason I'm running. One of my favorite books!

And I run barefoot around the neighborhood and sometimes at a nearby park in grass. Once you are barefoot, you stop landing heavy and automatically cushion your weight in your forefoot, so there's nothing bad about running on sidewalks or roads.

I hope I'm not stealing this thread but I wanted to talk about the physical fitness more so then the running. I have been playing for about 5 1/2 years and am in pretty good physical shape. About 2 1/2 months ago I was throwing an upshot from about 100 feet out, I threw it as a putt approach and let my arm extend out to much and wiped out my rotator cuff. "Ouch". It is only a slight tear so with therapy I think it will come back but man did it shut me down. I have been trying to throw left handed and that's pretty comical. Now to my point, I was amazed at how little u use the upper part of your arm, except for disc golf. The lower part of your arm does everything, not so much with the upper. If I would have known this I would have been exercising that sucker a long time ago. I plan on exercising it a lot more in the future. So to all disc golfers out there exercise that shoulder it might save u problems in the future.

I was amazed at how little u use the upper part of your arm, except for disc golf. The lower part of your arm does everything, not so much with the upper.

Huh? Not sure what you mean here. There are so many incredibly common movements that engage the upper arm.

How do you brush your teeth? Comb your hair? Shave? Scratch your back? Grab stuff from/put stuff on a shelf? Lift/push things generally?

Blowing out your shoulder from a 100 foot upshot means there was some underlying problem. Definitely get that checked out, and evaluate what conditions led to your shoulder being that fragile.

I'm 60 and I don't run any more. Running causes more problems for my knees than I wish to experience. I am aerobically active though, through biking and speed walking. Those activities give me muscular endurance in my legs and core. I also pump iron 3 or 4 times a week. I do the basics: bi/tri, chest/back, shoulders (light weight Jobe exercises for the rotators among others), quads/hammies and core work. I don't use an exorbitant amount of weight. I don't do yoga, but I stretch (my hamstrings, back and glutes need it the most).
My last 10 player ratings have averaged over 995! I'm currently rated 975 and am curious to see how much my rating jumps in about 10 days. Am I bragging? Ya, a little, but I'm just trying to make a point that being in somewhat decent shape will definitely help your game. Just don't forget about the mental aspect.

Last edited:
Huh? Not sure what you mean here. There are so many incredibly common movements that engage the upper arm.

How do you brush your teeth? Comb your hair? Shave? Scratch your back? Grab stuff from/put stuff on a shelf? Lift/push things generally?

Blowing out your shoulder from a 100 foot upshot means there was some underlying problem. Definitely get that checked out, and evaluate what conditions led to your shoulder being that fragile.

You could be right but I have never injured it in my lifetime. And of all the things u mention doing with your upper arm none of them require much effort. I didn't realize how much I don't use my upper arm until I injured it.

You could be right but I have never injured it in my lifetime. And of all the things u mention doing with your upper arm none of them require much effort. I didn't realize how much I don't use my upper arm until I injured it.

Yeah, it sounds like such an unusual occurrence. With your 5+ years of playing experience, it seems like the shoulder should be strong/conditioned enough. Strange that it was a 100 foot upshot that resulted in injury rather than something like a big drive or a slip. Almost like when you hear people throwing out their back when going to tie their shoes or something like that.

Hope the therapy goes well and you heal up quickly.

Latest posts