• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] S-Line FD- Flippy?

EROPPER

Birdie Member
I thought I would love my new S-line FD for straight shots, but it seems to be as understable as my Leopard3- the only useful line I use it for is long/high turnovers

I much prefer my Big-Z line-Zombee, or TLs- for straight, fairway driver length lines, they have that touch of stability at the end of their flight pattern that I like

anyone else have this problem? maybe get a heavier C-line for straight throws?

My S-Line FDs are pretty understable. I actually love them for straight shots in the woods. Give them a bit of hyzer and they flip flat and ride a great straight line and hardly fade at all. Great control for line drives. I use a C-Line for straight-to-fade, S-Line for hyzerflips and turnovers, and a G-Line for rollers and yuge sky annys. Love me some FDs. :D

Understable yes but not flippy in my opinion. More like a comet - very good when you don't power up on them, and can hold pretty much any line you put them on when new if you stay smooth. I always preferred the S-line for the woods, as the c-line had too much fade for what I wanted. Reniger is right, just hyzer them a little and watch them glide straight forever.

My S-Line FD started out not being overstable, but is seasoning in to be neutral-understable with use, and I'm expecting it to get more understable.

As to C-Line FDs... the two factory seconds that I have are both more understable than the S-Line. I don't know which runs any of these discs are, but different runs are known to make a difference in stability.

Last edited:
I get the best performance out of an sFd when I focus on form over power. Oddly long and shapable with very little speed required.

I wouldn't call it flippy, I definitely use it for understable lines.

Understable yes but not flippy in my opinion. More like a comet - very good when you don't power up on them, and can hold pretty much any line you put them on when new if you stay smooth. I always preferred the S-line for the woods, as the c-line had too much fade for what I wanted. Reniger is right, just hyzer them a little and watch them glide straight forever.

I get the best performance out of an sFd when I focus on form over power. Oddly long and shapable with very little speed required.

I wouldn't call it flippy, I definitely use it for understable lines.

Yep, the SFD is just like the Comet. It rewards good form and will reveal form issues. When you get it dialed in it is super straight and sneaky long.

I thought I would love my new S-line FD for straight shots, but it seems to be as understable as my Leopard3- the only useful line I use it for is long/high turnovers

I much prefer my Big-Z line-Zombee, or TLs- for straight, fairway driver length lines, they have that touch of stability at the end of their flight pattern that I like

anyone else have this problem? maybe get a heavier C-line for straight throws?

You throw Sertoma right? What holes locally (Tri-County) would you be throwing the S-Line FD on? Also, what is the weight/run etc.? Sometimes those matter.

They are straight for me when I put a lttle bit of hyzer on them. When I throw them flat I get some turn, but not a huge amount. I've never had a fresh sFD turn and burn on me, they always behave

You throw Sertoma right? What holes locally (Tri-County) would you be throwing the S-Line FD on? Also, what is the weight/run etc.? Sometimes those matter.

Correction: I have the new G Line FD

I was trying to use it for straight tunnel shots like Hole #2 off the tee at Grand Central station- it just turns right on me, unless I really power down and use some hyzer- but I have my Leopard3 for that already, the FD will probably come out of the bag after a trial run

I had a yellow s line fd that was pretty understable and then it got ran over by a car, and then it was ****.

Zombee eh? Great disc. I used to throw the **** out of one of those. Now I want one again

My S-FD is super domey and is more gstar teebirdish than a C-FD. It has a little turn and a good fade. More like 7/6/-1/2.5

I don't know the differences between C-line runs, but I feel they are much closer to the TL type of flight. S-FD is closer to Leo3 as you mentioned (but I think faster/longer, haven't got to do a side by side with them), but now that you clarify it's a G-FD...I haven't actually thrown one of those. I do think that the S-FD is more likely to come back to neutral at the end of flight than a Leo3. It's hard to say for sure on all of this as power level and disc run really matter.

I've been running the g-line and luster fds lately. They're amazing discs once you've become accustomed to them. I run them mainly in heavily wooded courses where I need to be able to shape shots or rely on their easy glide. Unless you're running a beefy c-line like the 2nd runs you really cant put lots of power on them. Good clean snap and form go a long way with these and they get some really easy distance. The lusters are definitely more stable than the g-line and s-line but not as much as some of the c-lines. Theyre faster out of the hand and they have a massive dome and get tons of glide. I've over shot holes barely throwing them. Which is why I found pairing them with the g-lines very beneficial. I didn't click as well with the s lines, not sure why but I just didnt have the consistency with it that I had with the others.

Correction: I have the new G Line FD

I was trying to use it for straight tunnel shots like Hole #2 off the tee at Grand Central station- it just turns right on me, unless I really power down and use some hyzer- but I have my Leopard3 for that already, the FD will probably come out of the bag after a trial run

Whooo. G-Line? G-FDs are definitely flippy bastards. I pretty much only roll my G-FDs. They make for phenomenal rollers, but other than popping one way up in the air for a sky anhyzer, it's pretty hard for me to get any other use out of a G-FD.

I did find one other use for my G-line FD today, they hold an anni FH fairly well- sometimes a useful get out of trouble shot

I carry 5-6 FD's in my bag that cover all lines, from OS (2nd run) to roller (D-line). I have a G-FD that usually goes in and out of my bag, depending on the course I'm playing. That disc (as you discovered) is definitely understable and will hold both BH and FH anny lines with ease. An S-line will definitely be more on the level of a straight-line thrower.

FWIW here is my breakdown of FD stability (from the FD thread).

The s FD most definitely rewards clean form. If you are trying to get really snappy with it of course it is going to turn hard. It is not meant to be thrown super hard. When I am throwing my s FD I try to throw it similar to how I would throw a mid range. Those things glide for days and don't need the power that something like a teebird would need. I wouldn't consider it "flippy" as much as I would call it workable. You know you are doing something right when you can throw an FD on a slight hyzer and have it flip up to flat and go laser beam straight. In fact I have started working the FD on forehand shots and it is silly straight once you figure it out. I am getting to the point where I can throw them on 50% power on a little FH hyzer and they flip up straight and easily go 250-300' without a problem. Gosh I love the FD...

I have a S-Fd and it is most of my shots in the woods. I wouldn't call it flippy. Straight or stable-stable. Its not like a teebird. I think the numbers are very accurate.

I got a max wt C-line, it flies about the same, maybe the littlest bit more stable. it is 7g heavier and also champ so that makes sense.

I don't throw super far- but I can consistently get solid D with this disc. I use is on most drives unless I really need to push distance or I want a real hard finish. Its easy to score well when your always in the middle of the fairway.

I like the comparisons people have made to the comet. It is like that. I will do what you tell it and rewards form. It is very easy for me to get it to land flat, hold hyzer the whole way or hold anny. I can get a little flip up to hold flat, but it doesn't turn all the way over the way a flippy disc will. I trust it in a little wind to.

For a intermediate player and arm this is my favorite disc. really easy and accurate 250-300ft. That's not internet distance :)

Sometimes I wonder why I carry other discs.

I have a S-Fd and it is most of my shots in the woods. I wouldn't call it flippy. Straight or stable-stable. Its not like a teebird. I think the numbers are very accurate.

I got a max wt C-line, it flies about the same, maybe the littlest bit more stable. it is 7g heavier and also champ so that makes sense.

I don't throw super far- but I can consistently get solid D with this disc. I use is on most drives unless I really need to push distance or I want a real hard finish. Its easy to score well when your always in the middle of the fairway.

I like the comparisons people have made to the comet. It is like that. I will do what you tell it and rewards form. It is very easy for me to get it to land flat, hold hyzer the whole way or hold anny. I can get a little flip up to hold flat, but it doesn't turn all the way over the way a flippy disc will. I trust it in a little wind to.

For a intermediate player and arm this is my favorite disc. really easy and accurate 250-300ft. That's not internet distance :)

Sometimes I wonder why I carry other discs.

This all makes me very happy. I have a 170g S line in today's mail; should be waiting on me when I get home. I get to use it in tomorrow's round. I love my Comet and if it is simply a longer Comet, then wow!