• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Saint Pro vs Firechicken and the like.

smyith

Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur
Silver level trusted reviewer
so I need to fullfill my plastic addiction. I don't want a Firebird since I throw one now and don't care to stock up on backups. I been waiting for Legacy to come out with their version...but that could be awhile. I would prefer to support the smaller DG companies and was wondering what the thoughts are on comparison of the other fairway OS drivers are, prefer to avoid Discraft and Innova. It's tempting to wait for the FD2 but my patience is growing thin...haha.

How do the different Saint Pros fly compared to each other? are they easier to stand up flat for a longer time? do they develop a turn quickly or like a champ firebird never develop the turn?

Saint pro is more comparable to a teebird...XXX is what you are looking for to compare to the firebird.

Saint pro is more comparable to a teebird...XXX is what you are looking for to compare to the firebird.

This. Havent tried a saint pro.. but I have a couple on the way for this reason.

The XXX is amazing, but you did say you wanted to support smaller companies.. so idk what to tell you lol

really?? i thought the Saint was supposed to be the Teebird comparison....sigh....XXX feels amazing in the hand but flies like a turd for me...guess I'll have to wait for DD to do theirs to get one that flies like it is supposed to.

didn't i see somewhere that the old predator mold is a DGA mold now?

The XXX is amazing, but you did say you wanted to support smaller companies.. so idk what to tell you lol
i guess i should phrase that differently....i dont want to directly support innova or discraft, but would buy from their partners (Millennium, DGA, Discmania), and Lat64 and company are still the lil guys imo....just look in a avg chuckers hand

Last edited:
I would prefer to support the smaller DG companies and was wondering what the thoughts are on comparison of the other fairway OS drivers are, prefer to avoid Discraft and Innova. It's tempting to wait for the FD2 but my patience is growing thin...haha.

You know the FD2 is made by Innova right?

I love the Xxx and the trident. I almost think the trident is more comparable to a firebird. XXXs are crazy OS in my experience.

The trident is a trident, and the trident is amazing.

I try not to compare it to anything else (though it may fly like others) because it doesn't feel like anything else on the market anywhere.

really?? i thought the Saint was supposed to be the Teebird comparison....sigh....XXX feels amazing in the hand but flies like a turd for me...guess I'll have to wait for DD to do theirs to get one that flies like it is supposed to.

i guess i should phrase that differently....i dont want to directly support innova or discraft, but would buy from their partners (Millennium, DGA, Discmania), and Lat64 and company are still the lil guys imo....just look in a avg chuckers hand

The original saint wasn't as stable as they wanted it to be..its definitely not teebird stable...the saint pro is what the saint was suppose to be...the xxx is crazy OS...11x firebird stable, IF you get a flat one

I have to chime in on this. I had a Opto Saint Pro, and it was VERY much like my very beat Star Firebird. I've also seen one that was somewhat flippy. The SP I had was nothing like any Teebird I have (5 of them).

Moral of the story: I either had an outlier, or the mold isn't all that consistent.

Some times their are just unique discs that stand out (amongst all the replicas between companies), thats why their so popular after all! So if you have to make a comparison to unique stand out discs, sometime other companies won't have an identical mold (shape, stability, wear, plastic etc.). Try and compare a disc to a Trident, you can't.

The xXx for me will fly the same lines as a firebird and I can use for thumbers also like a firebird. That dosent make it a firebird however, because you can still say oh its not as flat or it has a blunt nose and so on and so forth, in fact it feels very different. But for me I was able to take the Firebird out of my bag and replace it with a xXx, for me it works.

Btw, the Saint Pro won't be as stable as a firebird imo. Saint Pro vs. Teebird is a better comparison.

It's worth mentioning that the 173 Opto Saint Pro I have is slightly more OS than the Champ Teebird I've thrown - difference mostly being a slightly earlier fade - but I don't have much experience with Teebirds. Saint Pro definitely isn't Firebird class.

I would second the Resistor suggestion. A 160s Resistor willhave decent distance potential relative to its stability, and they're awesomely HSS. Mine have taken much abuse and maintained that stability, too. I replaced my Banshee with these puppies, as they had the same HSS but a later fade and more distance potential.

the only reason a saint pro would fly like a firebird is if there is still flashing on the bottom of it

the only reason a saint pro would fly like a firebird is if there is still flashing on the bottom of it

This.

My gold line flies like a perfectly seasoned tbird.

Also, I would like to point out that there is much more inconsistency on the firebird/tbird side of this equation than on Lat's side simply because of the gears and years of innova releases that are all a little different from each other.

If you want the saint pro to fly like your specific innova disc, it will be a toss up. If you want a more stable version of the saint, and one that flies true to the inbounds flight or the numbers, or if you want a disc that the stag was supposed to be, the saint pro will sort you out nicely.

tsunami

tell me how it goes if you get one. was thinking about getting them in multiple plastics but waiting to see how i feel once my star fb stack runs out

Completely agree with this. Mine was a meat hook brand new but I took off the flashing and it developed some turn fairly quickly when thrown ~350'ish. I would say it is less HSS than my champ t-birds and definitely not as stable as a Firebird. Nice disc but probably not what you are looking for in that slot.

Even still, it's not even close. If you check out the video I did for Hucking Aces (I posted it on the first page) you'll see that the GL I had, which had a decent amount of flashing, couldn't even hold up to my super-beat Champ Banshee. Even the Pro FL did better as far as resisting turn and having bigger fade.

I don't know much about the Trident, and I didn't like the XXX but regardless of that, to the OP: the Saint Pro is not what youre looking for, though it is a good little disc!