• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Saint Pro vs Servo vs Volt

I was able to trade for a Servo (171 g) recently, so I started there. Got my first work with it today. We had some decent (~15 mph) winds, so it was a good opportunity to test it out and see if it could fulfill the role I'm looking to fill.

Unfortunately it won't. In the wind the Servo had way too much turn, even more than the Craves I've thrown. Wasn't what I was expecting - almost like MVP's version of a Stag. A very workable fairway, but not what I'm looking for. Next up it'll be a Volt and a Tesla - anyone want to trade one of those for a Servo? :p

Yeah, I don't know about this. I've got 3 Servos, I throw them 325 (more on annys) and I get next to no turn from them, if any, and they will certainly not "flip" in any wind aside possibly from high winds where the Resistor will be pulled out by the OP anyway.

I rest my case. If top end power gets "just a little" turn, this is not a disc that will "flip" in wind.

edit: Just defending one of my favorites. The Volt may be a better choice for this slot for the OP, I don't know the Saint Pro well enough to really say.

and the servo doesnt work out, no surprise to me. :p

also, i have teslas that show no to very little turrn, and i had a mike c stamp tesla that was concave and had all of a -1 turn. but because mike c says tesla only turns .2, makes me wrong right. mike says his servo flies like a jls, mine didnt at all. guess im wrong though.:rolleyes:

ps, if you are not familiar with the disc he is trying to replace, why are you suggesting anything, none the less trying to decredit my suggestion? :confused::confused:

Volt by a mile. Proton, Eclipse, or Neutron (as long as it is not a FR) are the best straight to fade discs I've thrown next to TBs. Neither the Servo or the Crave touched my Volt for this slot. I usually rip the Volt flat or slight hyzer...If I'm a little off it may turn just a bit, but always comes back. My Servo never liked a hard/flat release like my Volt...It would flip...and not just a bit like the Volt, but enough to take it completely offline (especially in ANY head/crosswinds). However, from more hyzer I would often get a truncated fading shot, rather than than a flip-to-flat-and-fade shot. From hyzer I like the Crave better. I probably could have worked with them more and figured them out better, but I found it pointless because the Volt is SO good. I bag the Switch and Resistor to do things my Volts won't. I power up my Vectors or power down my Volts to do the straight to fade or true angle holding hyzers.

and the servo doesnt work out, no surprise to me. :p

also, i have teslas that show no to very little turrn, and i had a mike c stamp tesla that was concave and had all of a -1 turn. but because mike c says tesla only turns .2, makes me wrong right. mike says his servo flies like a jls, mine didnt at all. guess im wrong though.:rolleyes:

ps, if you are not familiar with the disc he is trying to replace, why are you suggesting anything, none the less trying to decredit my suggestion? :confused::confused:

I was making my suggestion based on his description of what he was looking for.

I've thrown 3 Servos extensively now and none of them "turn," even into a moderate headwind. If you put them out on an anny, they'll hold it for most of the flight, so perhaps we could say they're sensitive to release angle, but they don't 'flip.' Period. If he got one that turns, then I stand corrected, but I would be interested in seeing him flip one on video, because I'm curious about that.

I wasn't trying to 'discredit' you, I was just disagreeing with your assessment of one of the suggestions made by the OP...which I made clear in a later post.

Sorry to have hurt you. No offense was intended.

^and what I mean is, the 3 I've had don't show any turn for me, I wasn't trying to make a broad statement about the mold. On a flat full power throw, I get them to +/- 310, and the most they seem to do is drift right slightly.

When watching Mike C's videos do you ever notice that he always powers flat shots from a little hyzer? He has so much torque that most neutral discs would turn if he powered them totally flat. I guarantee that if he powered a Servo completely flat it would turn immediately. He has learned to finely control his power by keeping some hyzer. I don't throw nearly as hard as Mike C, so I often throw my neutral discs completely flat. By doing this we get almost the same numbers with most MVP discs, even though he is getting 50'+ more than me. The boy knows how to throw and he isn't going to be "flipping" discs he doesn't want to flip, even if it's a 150 Inertia. So his experience with a disc doesn't necessarily mean someone elses' is "wrong".

So....a disc that flips from flat but not from hyzer....? K.

I'll concede the point, and will self-immolate later for contributing to leading the OP down a primrose path.

Last edited:
Yes...Like when I throw my Amp flat it turns/flips, but when I throw it with hyzer it locks onto a straight line.

Look, you win. The Amp consistently rotates clockwise from release angle no matter what the release angle is (flat or hyzer,) but the Servo ONLY rotates clockwise from release angle when thrown "flat", but holds the release angle when thrown hyzer.

I'll concede this point. Just maybe if we're going to play the semantics game, "flip" isn't the word we need to be focusing on...?

My Servo never liked a hard/flat release like my Volt...It would flip...and not just a bit like the Volt, but enough to take it completely offline (especially in ANY head/crosswinds).

I've thrown 3 Servos extensively now and none of them "turn," even into a moderate headwind. If you put them out on an anny, they'll hold it for most of the flight, so perhaps we could say they're sensitive to release angle, but they don't 'flip.' Period. If he got one that turns, then I stand corrected, but I would be interested in seeing him flip one on video, because I'm curious about that.

My experience was that of discspeed's, even though I don't have his power (325'-350' with fairways). Even with a solid 8 o clock hyzer release the Servo would turn off line, with a late fade that leveled it and brought it back some but still finished far to the right. Significantly more turn that the Crave. I'm sure the wind had something to do with it, but even so I was surprised, after all of the Crave comparisons I've heard. They flew and felt pretty distinct to me.

I'll see what I can get ahold of next, Volt or Tesla, and take it from there. I am worried about having a bit too much overlap between the Volt and the Crave (because the Crave is solidly in its slot), but many who've thrown both don't seem to mind so I'm trusting their experience enough to try one out myself. Too bad virtually no one in NOLA throws MVP/Axiom, so I can't test one out (though I did talk someone in to buying a Switch, Crave, and Resistor yesterday from our local seller - didn't have any money with me or I would have bought a Volt and Crave myself!).

My experience was that of discspeed's, even though I don't have his power (325'-350' with fairways).

That's about what I use my fairways for (Volt goes a little farther, but that's a super-fairway).

A Shock would fill the role better than a Saint Pro in my opinion. The Saint Pro can get squirrely in a big headwind where a Shock will hold its line better, and get a bit more distance than a Resistor.

+1 on this.

Shock's super reliable for me, though I never bought a Resistor because the gap between my Vector and my Shock aren't that different and I don't play in crazy winds enough to generally bag anything too much more stable than the Vector.

Got some work in today with a Volt I'd traded for. It was nice to spend some quality time with the disc; it's so well spoken of, and after this afternoon, I can see why. It's super workable and versatile, and surprisingly long. However, it's not the disc I'm looking for. I need something significantly more HSS, though the speed's about right.

I picked up a Tesla and Shock as I was leaving the course. Had to get to work, but I did get a few throws in with each. These are both much closer to the mark, and I'll need to spend some more time with them to see which direction I want to go, but right now I'm thinking Tesla. It's longer and has a later/less dumpy fade than the Shock, but it's still very controllable and wind resistant, and it holds hyzers very nicely. I've also been considering a more overstable distance driver to complement the Lace, and this could double as that, killing two birds with one stone. So I still need to spend some more time with it but I think the Tesla might be the one. it certainly had that initial "this is what I've been looking for" feeling.

The Shock is certainly nice, though. I just think it overlaps a little too much with the Resistor: though definitely longer, I'm not sure I'd need both, and I'm sure not getting rid of the Resistor.

Thanks for all your input, folks. It's been helpful in sorting this out, and it's been fun to try out some discs for this slot.

volts are almost 0 HSS when new. they don't turn unless you torque over really. Shock is to the eagle as a volt is to TB. the tesla is faster which is why you probably are liking it more if the volt is not fading out.

Last edited:
This Volt, a new low 170s neutron, definitely had some turn to it. Not a ton, but it didn't react great to a hard and flat release. There was some wind out there today - there always is in NOLA - so that should be factored in. Probably around 10 mph, give or take, so nothing major.

Shock didn't seem very Eagle-y to me as it had zero turn. Unless you're thinking a max weight Champ Eagle.

I did enjoy the extra speed with the Tesla - it got way easier distance than I expected while still demonstrating some nice stability.

Got some work in today with a Volt I'd traded for. It was nice to spend some quality time with the disc; it's so well spoken of, and after this afternoon, I can see why. It's super workable and versatile, and surprisingly long. However, it's not the disc I'm looking for. I need something significantly more HSS, though the speed's about right.

I picked up a Tesla and Shock as I was leaving the course. Had to get to work, but I did get a few throws in with each. These are both much closer to the mark, and I'll need to spend some more time with them to see which direction I want to go, but right now I'm thinking Tesla. It's longer and has a later/less dumpy fade than the Shock, but it's still very controllable and wind resistant, and it holds hyzers very nicely. I've also been considering a more overstable distance driver to complement the Lace, and this could double as that, killing two birds with one stone. So I still need to spend some more time with it but I think the Tesla might be the one. it certainly had that initial "this is what I've been looking for" feeling.

The Shock is certainly nice, though. I just think it overlaps a little too much with the Resistor: though definitely longer, I'm not sure I'd need both, and I'm sure not getting rid of the Resistor.

Thanks for all your input, folks. It's been helpful in sorting this out, and it's been fun to try out some discs for this slot.

Do you think there is any possibility you got a FR Volt? All of my Volts from the recent runs are true 0 HSS, and even my seasoned Volts are just straight. They lose their LSS before their HSS.

Shock / Tesla / Resistor observations seem to mirror mine. I dropped the Shock in favor of the Resistor / Motion combo.

I agree the Shock isn't like an Eagle. Its closer to a Predator than an Eagle. 0 HSS, but the fade kicks in later than a Predator from what I remember when I had bagged them. IMO the Servo is their closest disc to the Eagle right now.

Do you think there is any possibility you got a FR Volt? All of my Volts from the recent runs are true 0 HSS, and even my seasoned Volts are just straight. They lose their LSS before their HSS.

It's possible, since I did get it in a trade, but I'd be surprised if this was the case, since it was seemingly unthrown. If it was a FR then it would have been sitting on a shelf for quite some time. It's possible, though, like I said.

On a ~335' shot with some wind going it would track right on a slight hyzer release for much of its flight before a strong fade at the end bringing it back to finish more or less straight ahead. It seems really sensitive to OAT, but even on clean releases it had some turn to it. All my best throws were with at least a modest hyzer release. It definitely wasn't the laser-straight-to-fade disc I was expecting. Very Eagle-y, in fact.

Maybe it was the wind. I'll keep it around for bit longer just to see if that's the case, and maybe afterward one of you experienced folks can snag it from me to see if it flies differently than your other Volts. I'd be curious.

Sounds like a FR. If you have a Shock handy, comparing their PLH would tell you. Current Volts and Shocks have pretty close PLH, with the Shock being a bit higher. The FR Volts have a noticeably lower wing. Either way from your description I'm 95% sure that's what you have. Those are actually kind of rare to come across now, and if you were interested I'm sure me or another member would trade you a fresh, current Volt for one.

Some rough numbers....

FR Volt: 9/6/-1/1
Current Volt: 9/5.5/0/2

Mute this and check it out to see how the current Volts should fly

My Volt definitely isn't flying like those in your video. That throw you had on the 700' hole was all I needed to see.

I think you might be right about it being a FR; the PLH is indeed noticeably lower (Volt on left, Shock on right).

volt-shock-comparison.jpg

I put some work in with it in the field this evening. The conditions were calmer, and it didn't show nearly as much turn as it had yesterday. Locked into straight from a hyzer quite nicely. Still, on a hard, flat throw out to 350'-375' it would hold the turn almost entirely to the ground. Definitely not the HSS most people speak of when the talk about the Volt.

I will say that, this disc is fast. Definitely the fastest "fairway" I've ever thrown (still feels like it belongs in that class to me, just barely). I had some solid rips with it; distance seems to come easy for it, which of course is always nice.

Latest posts