• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient's Catalyst Medium Backpack

wifes bag showed up today
she likes the colors and the way it fits
at first look, it is a pretty good bag

bads:
1] my same old complaint about the dead space at the top
this could have been used very easy, all they had to do was sew the material to the back seam at the straps, instead of at the zipper.

2] the putter pocket is to shallow to close flap
the box/divider was installed at the perfect height for 2 discs
and the velcro inside/back was about as low as it could go
(i posted about the flap not closing on the second video, and was assured it would close -- it doesnt)

goods:
1] this bag is narrower and the opening is smaller than grip A
she only carries 3 putters, 4 mids, and 5 drivers
in the grip A, we had to put a small container in with the discs to take up extra space, with this bag the 12 discs are not too sloppy.

2] lots of side storage

3] its narrower when its on her back also, her elbows would hit the grip A, but not this bag

undecided so far which bag she is going to keep.
but to be honest, i think this bag will work better for her!!!
(i can make some mods to the GGIS and dead space area)
the fact thats its smaller was the reason she ordered it
and the grip A will be easier to sell to get money back

so i dont get what the GGI slot is. it looks to me like its just a piece of fabric separating it....but its actually a plastic box-like piece?

I posted a few pictures of it. Look back a few pages.

i have some ideas
first one is,
if you made a velcro double sided extension or just add some more, lower in the back
i think it would make the GGIS even deeper, to get the flap closed.

2] the putter pocket is to shallow to close flap
the box/divider was installed at the perfect height for 2 discs and the velcro inside/back was about as low as it could go (i posted about the flap not closing on the second video, and was assured it would close -- it doesnt)

I just tried closing up my GGIS and have one piece of advice. Stick your hand inside the upper pouch and push the Velcro for the GGIS flap forward. It would be nice to not have to do it, but it helps a ton.

I can close mine this way and get the top of the flap to just cover the bottom of the "Disc Golf Perfected" in the embroidered logo. It actually closes pretty well, but there is a slight bulge out from the discs.

Matt, have you tried moving it down on the Velcro yet as it is? I do agree that having it even further down would help.

I tried the method of moving the GGI slot lower on the velcro and the insert still wouldn't go all the way in to where it would drop down...

I just tried closing up my GGIS and have one piece of advice. Stick your hand inside the upper pouch and push the Velcro for the GGIS flap forward. It would be nice to not have to do it, but it helps a ton.

I can close mine this way and get the top of the flap to just cover the bottom of the "Disc Golf Perfected" in the embroidered logo. It actually closes pretty well, but there is a slight bulge out from the discs.

Matt, have you tried moving it down on the Velcro yet as it is? I do agree that having it even further down would help.

yep, already down all the way
first thing i did was tear it all apart so i could look up into the empty dead space above
so when i put it all back, i made sure it was as low as i could

I had no discs in the side pockets when doing the hoodie test. I'll use those pockets for other things. Speaking of which, on to the other things…

catalyst_11_top_pocket.jpg

Putters will not fit in the top pocket, if you wanted some sort of ghetto Grip-like thing. It's about 7.6 inches wide.

Here's a somewhat random list of additional thoughts. Before you read them, bear in mind I've had a Contender, and liked it, so I'm certain there are some things which I like that I might not comment on because they're not new to me.

• The material is about as expected. The grey is just like the black on my first run Contender (somewhat shiny, and feel and look more resistant to water and stains and mud), and the color is just like the colored sections on them (a bit rougher to the touch and thus seemingly more prone to soaking up water droplets and getting dirty). It's a high quality material and I've never had a rip or anything happen to my Contender. I don't treat it with kid gloves, but I don't treat it like crap either.
  • The side storage is big and nice. I was able to fit a Golden Retriever flat along the bottom, and obviously full discs fit inside (including up to 3 Prometheus) without any difficulty. I'll use this storage area for pucks (for disc retrieval), my Golden Retriever, snacks, and other goodies.
  • The mini pocket is fine, but honestly, since you can't even zip the mini in there, and most everyone I've seen keeps their mini in their pants pockets when playing DG… calling it a mini pocket is a bit of a misnomer. It's more like a scorecard pocket, or a credit card pocket, or something like that. The four) pencil pockets are right there, so I'm going with "scorecard pocket."
  • The straps are perfectly comfortable. Not the most comfortable straps ever, but good. The chest strap is at the right height this time around, which is good. They're wide, and perfectly good when used one at a time (that's how I carry my backpack bags 95% of the time).
  • I like the triangular D-Rings on the top of each side. I've clipped my lime green Towch to the one side and works well.
  • I was able to slide a stool (a large Walkstool) in both side pouches. It takes a little bit of effort - not something you'd want to do every 300 feet - but it fits in both sides. It fits more easily in my Grip L but that's largely because the zipper on that bag is taller.
  • The handle at the top is something that I've always appreciated. Quite often when finishing out a hole or just moving from the basket to the next teepad I'll just carry my bag by the handle. It's firmly attached and solid plastic. Not quite as soft or rubbery feeling as my Contender - more hard plastic - but still curved nicely and easy to carry.
  • Small thing, but the pull tabs on the zippers are nice. I like it when the little details still get attention. The zippers work well.
  • The upper storage area, man. What a waste. Lies aside, it's disappointing that there's literally just so much wasted space up there. The engineering and costs that went into the plastic parts of the putter pocket (that's pretty much pointless) could probably have covered the cost(s) and design to have a true and large top side pocket that meets the 8 x 6 x 6 we were told it would be. I could fit my iPhone 5, money clip/wallet, and keychain (3 keys, two are car fob/keys) in easily, but there's not much more room than that.
  • The rubber feet aren't rails like on the Grip, but I've never had a problem with the same feet on my Contender.
  • The drink holders have a nice grommet in them for drainage and are against your back, moving the weight closer, unlike on the Contender, where they're away from your back.

Comparing to the Contender (Catalyst still has all the MVP discs, Contender just loaded up with some putters - 18 in the main area):

catalyst_14_contender_compare.jpg

In the end…

The bag cost ME $57 less than the cheapest price Grips have ever cost, but buying this bag makes me realize that I already had a "medium" sized backpack bag: my special edition Orange Rust Whatever-They-Called-This-Color Grip L Series.

My Grip has a rain fly, rails, is better constructed, has better (contoured) straps, and looks better (and I owned a green Aztek, so believe me, I place a lot more value on function over form in certain utilitarian things). The Grip's putter pocket up top is nicer, and discs are easier to remove from the main storage area, which has a nice firm plastic base on the interior and rails on the bottom. The straps are more comfortable and the craftsmanship is a touch better overall.

The Catalyst's full-height side storage is slightly roomier than on the Grip (though has shorter zippers), and the Catalyst has TWO the extra side storage areas that are quite handy and add a good amount of storage space (including discs if you wish). It also has a couple of places to clip a towel, which is maddeningly missing on the Grip (L series).

Everything else is almost the same or at least an equal trade-off.

Quite literally that's about how things break down as far as I can tell. The Grip is only a slightly better bag, probably well worth $21 difference ($155 -> $176) for most people (i.e. those who don't need the added side storage on the Catalyst). But Grip's $176 pricing is only two colors and is set to end in two weeks, and I only paid $119 for my Catalyst, so… the Catalyst was worth the savings to me (plus, I have a Grip L).

Overall, for $119, I'm glad I got a Catalyst, and it has a good amount of functionality, carries the right amount of discs, and is well made with good materials. Though I'm disappointed in the lack of use of the space at the top of the bag for more storage, and for the smaller opening that makes disc removal more difficult than necessary, and the (to me) useless plastic box in the putter pocket, these aren't exactly dealbreakers. I'll keep this bag for my personal use, though given how much I tend to carry, I may opt for the Grip more than the Catalyst.

I'm happy to answer any other questions, or film videos/take pictures, if anyone has any questions.
If anyone's considering a Catalyst or Grip A, this is a great read. Well done! :hfive:

I tried the method of moving the GGI slot lower on the velcro and the insert still wouldn't go all the way in to where it would drop down...

How long/deep is your insert? I just measured mine and its 7" exactly (and 9" wide). I think you had mentioned that you shortened it up already.

How long/deep is your insert? I just measured mine and its 7" exactly (and 9" wide). I think you had mentioned that you shortened it up already.

I'll check later but after cutting off roughly half of the velcro in the rear of the insert it sits down fine. I'm curious to see if I had a bigger than normal insert. Also I had to bend the insert walls out to fit my putter. Is the judge a larger diameter putter than others? Others have said or was a snug fit but with my judge it was downright getting warped, too bad the side walls were so damn stiff...

has it been cleared whether or not modifications to the GGI slot will void warranty or not? I don't think i saw DJ answer that one.

I got my bag today, and tried out a couple different set-ups with my camelbak in the side pocket and it seems like it wil work good. I'll post some pictures once I decide exactly how I'm going to do it. Excited to get out this weekend and break it in.

Alright, I got my red/black. First impression, it is taller than I thought it would be. The first thing I did was check the bottle holders by putting in a Powerade and Gatorade bottle in each holder- perfect fit. I really like that it has the grommeted ring in the bottom for condensation (for when/if it ever gets warm/hot again).

Second thing I did was shove a hooded sweatshirt in one side pocket, and my stool in the other side pocket- in the same pocket I put a short umbrella. Both pockets zipped up fine, the bag was able to handle the space. On the side I placed my sweatshirt, I had room for an extra pair of Merrell Barefoot shoes and a second pair of socks (something I often like to have with me on a course just in case I run into a muddy area or am forced to go hunting for a disc in a swampy creek bottom. All fit just fine- this was extremely pleasing to me.

The top pocket will hold my sunglasses in a case, cell phone, keys and wallet- but that's about it. I didn't know what to expect with this top pocket, but I am satisfied.

The mini pocket is pretty much just that- a mini pocket. I do have a pair of fingernail clippers and a lighter in this pocket (I don't smoke, but I generally carry a lighter with me). There is not enough space in the mini pocket length wise to hold my Dynamic Discs erasable score card- however I was able to put it in one of the extra side pockets.

Speaking of the side pockets- I placed two rarely used specialty discs such as the Latitude XXX and a Millinnium Quasar in one. The other side pocket keeps my birdie bag, my bandaids, roll of athletic tape, a small tube of Blistex, and an inhaler. In the summer, I will be putting bug spray in one of these smaller side pockets- there is plenty of room in there.

The Go Get It (GGI) area is fine, just needed to take out the plastic spacer. I am able to get an Omega putter, a R-Pro Pig, and a Rattler. Closing the folded area is snug, but it will close. I was impressed by the amount of space in the area- but am confused on why the cardboard/plastic box was even there. It limited the amount of usable space + it made it difficult to get discs in/out without pulling the spacer out with your disc.

The main pocket holds 5 distance drivers, 4 fairway drivers, and 5 mids. I probably could get one more disc in there, but it'd make getting discs off of the edges out by filling the space completely full. The discs on each end are a little difficult to get out/put away- but I have found by lifting straight up, and then turning the disc 90degrees over the other discs in the storage area made it much easier to get them out/put them away. It's not too hard, it's just an adjustment from having all of my discs open to reach and get from my FADE tourney bag.

I have extremely wide shoulders (I will post photos eventually) but the bag felt great on my shoulders. The sternum strap felt great, and the weight of the bag felt so much lighter than carrying my FADE with my Innova back-saver straps just due to where the weight sat on my back.

So in all- 19 discs, plenty of room for all sorts of accessories, space for my valuables, and a space for my extra every round gear that I carry (bandaids, athletic tape, etc...)

The colors look great- I really like the red/black combo. I plan on putting a patch, stencil, or a silk-screen on the main flap just to personalize the bag. I don't feel like there will be any need to return the bag for manufacturer defects- the bag was made solid and with great materials. I checked the stitching both inside and outside the bag- originally, this was my main concern prior to getting the bag- but I can tell you that it's built to last.

Overall- I am very pleased with the product. I cannot wait to take it out later today for a round if the weather holds up like it were today. I used a D-ring to hang my towel on one side, and I have placed my bag tag on the ring on the opposite side of the bag.

Thanks Salient- even know there was a long wait, it's still a solid product. You did well. I am a satisfied customer. Now, please take me off of your censored list on facebook. Thanks.

Best, EJ

well after a long and confusing journey, my bag will be delivered tomorrow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 32
well after a long and confusing journey, my bag will be delivered tomorrow

Since you seem to be planning on reviewing the bag anyway, despite your massive bias (not saying it's not justified), I'm hoping you'll at least make blatantly clear at the top of the review that you are biased, you're reviewing a product by a company that pays you (even if it's in merchandise and possible cash in the future), and so on.

Edit: Warranty information still not clear at all, same as posted here: http://salient-discs.com/shoesbags/ . The issue is with the words "upon arrival." My bag arrived days ago. I guess my warranty is up.

Since you seem to be planning on reviewing the bag anyway, despite your massive bias (not saying it's not justified), I'm hoping you'll at least make blatantly clear at the top of the review that you are biased, you're reviewing a product by a company that pays you (even if it's in merchandise and possible cash in the future), and so on.

If it will make everyone feel better, yes i will

Latest posts