• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

San Antonio DG'ers: McClain or Live Oak??

kpc2004

Double Eagle Member
I am visiting family this week for the holiday and on Thanksgiving day (if weather permits) I will have enough time to get out and play one course. I have played McClain Park before and enjoyed it but have never been to Live Oak before and not sure where it is (havent looked yet). McClain is only like 10 min from my grandparents house, would I be better off just playing McClain again or is Live Oak a better course?? Thanks in advance :hfive:!!!

McClain is my home course in San Antonio. I'd love to play with you but as soon as the turkey dinner is over on Thursday, I'm on my way to our ranch in Del Rio for the weekend.

McClain is the toughest technical course in SA. It is easy to navigate except for the transition from hole 9 to 10, but if it rains, don't go near it as it turns into a mud pit because the front half the course is in a flood plain. The back half is still somewhat playable if wet.

Live Oak has 38 holes but without a guide, damn near impossible to navigate as the course layout has changed a few times and the baskets numbers do not line up. For example, I'd played Live Oak for a year and then found a total of 6 holes I didn't even know existed. But if it rains, Live Oak is still playable.

Pearsall Park is the newest course in SA. A lot of nice elevation changes, easy to navigate and very challenging. Problem is, it's on the opposite side of the city from McClain and again, if wet, becomes a mud hole.

I only say this about the weather because it's suppose to rain on Turkey Day.

Good luck,

Woodpecker

yeah i know about the potential rain, i checked out the forecast. im hoping it wont rain til the afternoon (keeping my fingers crossed). which is the best course to play in rainy conditions? Universal City didnt seem like it would be too bad in the rain...any thoughts?

Universal City has just been renovated with the closing of several open holes on the front of the course with several new technical holes added to the middle of the course to make a full 18.

Between the three, I'd play Live Oak if it gets wet at all since most of the course has grassy fairways. Try to meet someone out there to guide you around.

To get to Live Oak, take I-35 north to the Topperwein exit, take a right to the stoplight and a left on Judson Road. Drive to the top of the hill to the next stoplight and hang a left. Drive straight through the neighborhood until the road ends and take a right. That's the entrance to the park. You will see baskets on your left as you drive through. The first tee box is at the end of the asphalt next to the kiddie playground at the top of the rise. It's a little of a hike to the tee box from where you have to park.

Hole one is straight out. To get to the tee box 2, walk around the outside of the baseball field, and the teebox is next to right side of the lake. Holes 3 & 4 are easy to find. From #4's basket, walk uphill along the concrete culvert to #5's teebox. #5's basket is out about 350 across another concrete culvert.

Now, comes the tricky part. To get to the #6 teebox, you have to cross the #1 fairway, around the back fence of the baseball field, past the #2 teebox. Look for the teebox off the sidewalk to your right along the lake. #6 has two teeboxes, the long is over the lake and the short is along the side of the lake.

From there it's pretty simple until you come off #15. #16 is about a hundred yards across the grass toward the driveway leading into the park. From #16 basket, walk along the ridge in the direction of the football field and play the two holes along the ridge. I believe they are marked 26 and 27 to complete your round.

Woodpecker