• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Sapphire

Did you actually mean flex here?

I throw my Saphires on flex lines all the time and I get about 270'-300' out of them. More dump on the Opto, less on the Gold.

I definitely can't flip them up out of a hyzer though, or keep them turned over, but they throw flex lines well for me.

Maybe I just don't know the lingo though?

I was throwing it anny, purposely trying to torque it over.

My Sapphire won't flip up out of a hyzer either, no matter how hard I throw it. Once I get the disc over, it'll stay. Its in no hurry to fade out.

My Sapphire has a very elegant fade too. It picks up good distance as it slowly tails off left.

This disc will handle all the arm I have.

I was throwing it anny, purposely trying to torque it over.

My Sapphire won't flip up out of a hyzer either, no matter how hard I throw it. Once I get the disc over, it'll stay. Its in no hurry to fade out.

My Sapphire has a very elegant fade too. It picks up good distance as it slowly tails off left.

This disc will handle all the arm I have.

Oh, gotcha.

With 300 feet of power it's definitely more overstable than that, although the Gold plastic holds the anny much longer. The Opto one is better for those tight, quick flexes that I sometime have to throw, where it will fight back after 125-150 feet.

Wish my Opto and Opto Chameleon Sapphires were as stable as described, because I'd still be bagging them. I found them as flippy as my lighter weight Shrykes, only less distance.

I have a GL that has become probably the longest disc in my bag. It sure is fun to throw.

Wish my Opto and Opto Chameleon Sapphires were as stable as described, because I'd still be bagging them. I found them as flippy as my lighter weight Shrykes, only less distance.

If I were throwing a Shryke the way I'm throwing this Sapphire it would be corkscrewing into the ground.

My particular Sapphire is deceptively beefy.

I've had almost no luck with lightweight Shrykes. I love the mold overall, but they're practically unusable if you drop below 165g.

I bag extremely Domey Shrykes, so they got some stability to them even at 160g.

On the other hand, I'm realizing that Latitude's goldline plastic breaks in pretty fast. My 160g Goldline Ballista Pro has become seemingly more understable than my 168g Opto Destiny from my couple throws with them in my round this morning.

I bag extremely Domey Shrykes, so they got some stability to them even at 160g.

On the other hand, I'm realizing that Latitude's goldline plastic breaks in pretty fast. My 160g Goldline Ballista Pro has become seemingly more understable than my 168g Opto Destiny from my couple throws with them in my round this morning.

I agree about gold line plastic. Nice stuff, and it flies great new. However, it wears in way faster than you'd like. Kinda reminds me of Innova pro.

I like all my long distance drivers to have dome. It seems to make them fly a bit more stable and glide better.

After 6 months in the bag, the Gold Line Sapphire has become my go-to distance driver. I consistently get more distance from it than any other disc I've tried. I normally max out around 330', but yesterday I managed to push this thing out to 360' with a baby hyzer that flipped over and gave me an S-flight, landing dead-center fairway. That's a new distance record for me on flat ground with no wind. And to do it on a golf line during a competitive round is extra satisfying.

I really hope these are kept in production. The conventional wisdom is that there's no magic disc, but the Gold Line Sapphire really does make a difference in my game.

OK, time to briefly revisit the Sapphire again. I still have just the 1. Opto Chameleon plastic, 157g.

I hadn't thrown this disc in a couple months.

Just wow. My initial thoughts on this disc haven't changed. Even after taking a month off of throwing I was mashing this thing 450' easily. The Sapphire is simply idiotproof. Its like a distance driver with training wheels. I just throw it hard and flat and it has the same, slow, straight flight every time. I never get really bad shots with it. The disc won't flip over, and it doesn't fade hard enough to really exacerbate a bad toss.

The Sapphire will absorb all the arm I have, and unless I purposely torque it over it won't flip. At full power I see a very gradual turn, which the disc holds for a very long time. The glide is exceptional and the late fade is soft/gradual.

The Sapphire will fly as far as anything out there. In the field today it was neck and neck with my G* Corvette, a Katana, and others. For being only speed 10 the Sapphire doesn't lose any distance at all.

My only dis on the Sapphire is that the light weight of the thing causes me to occasionally grip lock it. Other than that this disc is the real deal. Its a lightweight disc that behaves like something much heavier. The Sapphire absorbs big rips with ease and responds with glidey bombs.

One other thing I found today is that the Sapphire stands up to headwinds fairly decent. Not anything gusty, but I put this disc straight into a headwind multiple times and it flexed out nicely without flipping.

There isn't a single disc on the market from any other manufacturer that flies like this. The Sapphire reminds me of a Heat, but is nowhere near as flippy.

Latitude 64 factory store has those White Opto Burst Bar stamped Sapphires up for sale! They look like the prototypes that were sent out to early reviewers to try out. I ordered one just because it looks so pretty, also because it'd be cool if it turns out as stable as the prototypes were reported to be.

I ordered an Opto at 158g. After fondling it and thinking about what else I might have in my stash that's close to it, I guessed with a 173g champ x-out patent num Orc that's pretty new and a kinda beat VIP air Sword at 156g and a new VIP air Sword at 158g. I LOVE air Swords btw, they are gold. After hitting the field I can confirm, the Opto Sapphire is almost a dead ringer for a broken in Air Sword with a slightly easier to grip rim due to speed 10 vs. speed 12. The brand new 158g air Sword was a full tick more overstable and held a forehand better that the Sword. Not surprising given the speed difference. The Orc was closer to the new air Sword and felt a bit OS and I have to crank on it a bit to keep it flat. I fully expect the "heavy" opto Sapphire to work into something magical as the new gets knocked off. Going straight into my bag in the stable BH distance slot on non-windy days. For reference I throw 300 feet backhand and forehand. Cheers. Rejoice this is the golden age.

I ordered an Opto at 158g. After fondling it and thinking about what else I might have in my stash that's close to it, I guessed with a 173g champ x-out patent num Orc that's pretty new and a kinda beat VIP air Sword at 156g and a new VIP air Sword at 158g. I LOVE air Swords btw, they are gold. After hitting the field I can confirm, the Opto Sapphire is almost a dead ringer for a broken in Air Sword with a slightly easier to grip rim due to speed 10 vs. speed 12. The brand new 158g air Sword was a full tick more overstable and held a forehand better that the Sword. Not surprising given the speed difference. The Orc was closer to the new air Sword and felt a bit OS and I have to crank on it a bit to keep it flat. I fully expect the "heavy" opto Sapphire to work into something magical as the new gets knocked off. Going straight into my bag in the stable BH distance slot on non-windy days. For reference I throw 300 feet backhand and forehand. Cheers. Rejoice this is the golden age.

Flight-wise, I didn't find the Orc or Sword to be very similar to the Sapphire. Swords are flippy, and the Sapphire really isn't. Throwing only 300', you won't really any flex out of the Sapphire. It'll probably fly pretty beefy in fact. I figure you need about 400' power to really turn it.

At high speed the Sword will be flipping HARD, while the Sapphire will stay pretty steady.

Yeah as I said earlier, I think you have one of those unicorn Sapphires that is pretty high speed stable. All 6 of mine turned rather easily at 350 feet of power.

I still need to throw that white Opto Burst one I ordered and received.

My gold line sapphire is pretty true to it's numbers at 350'ish power. The only time I see it being super-flippy is in monster headwinds or if I roll my wrist. A flat or slight hyzer release it's a pretty nice flier!

VIP Air swords really aren't that flippy at all if you've ever tried one. They are a bit different than the regular TP or VIP. The Sapphire flies a lot like them for me, but with a smaller rim and therefore a bit easier to control.

The Goldline Sapphire I ordered from MS came in today and I took the pair out to the field to compare. Wow the Gold is AMAZING and I do get a bit of turn if I hit it right. The Gold/Opto pairing pretty much feels like it is right in my sweet spot for everyday backhand distance drives. Right out of the gate, they are pretty much some of the longest discs I've ever thrown. They just go and go and go. In the more understable distance slot, I've really been loving the Mint Freetail. Now I'm excited!

Brought all my Sapphires to a field session today (4 x-outs, 1 white opto, 2 first runs) with two buddies while we were recording and analyzing driving forms. One buddy had his own 1st run Sapphire as well.

They are more stable than I initially gave them credit for, but still have some relatively easy flip if thrown hard and flat. They won't flip up to a turn on a hyzer flip, unless in a big headwind, and they'll hold an anhyzer most of the way while still fading out slightly at the end. 10/6/-1.5/2.

Because of all of the positive comments about the Sapphire I recently picked one up just to try.

It pretty much made my bag after one round.

I am not a big arm type of guy and typically max out around 350' on a good drive.

The Sapphire really does offer surprisingly easy distance without having to really crank on it.

I typically don't throw discs this light and haven't had a chance to see how they hold up in any sort of wind but on a calm day they are really long and very predictable.

Mine really skips when it hits the ground. It kind of surprised me at first but now I just make sure to account for it.

Mine is the gold line plastic which has always been my favorite Lattitude plastic for its excellent feel and grip.

I hope someday they release this mold in heavier weights like they did with the Diamond.

Because of all of the positive comments about the Sapphire I recently picked one up just to try.

It pretty much made my bag after one round.

I am not a big arm type of guy and typically max out around 350' on a good drive.

The Sapphire really does offer surprisingly easy distance without having to really crank on it.

I typically don't throw discs this light and haven't had a chance to see how they hold up in any sort of wind but on a calm day they are really long and very predictable.

Mine really skips when it hits the ground. It kind of surprised me at first but now I just make sure to account for it.

Mine is the gold line plastic which has always been my favorite Latitude plastic for its excellent feel and grip.

I hope someday they release this mold in heavier weights like they did with the Diamond.

I agree. The Sapphire will get downrange easily with a fairly average toss. What I really like about it though is that it'll also give you another 40' or so if you really lay into it hard. The Sapphire is that rare disc that flies well without flipping no matter how hard you throw it.

I very seldom have patience for lightweight drivers. The Sapphire bucks that trend.

Well, we seem to be having more wind lately than we have in the past and the Sapphire has sort of been letting me down. I wish I could get it in the 170+ weight range but since I can't I am trying to find a similar disc that comes in normal weights.

Anyone who throws these have any comparison with something like a Beast or Valkyrie or maybe have some other recommendations for something slightly understable in the speed 9/10 range?

Thanks.

I replaced mine with an Insanity when I lost it, but I'd probably liken it more to an Inertia in both feel and flight.

You could also try a Mystere, mine flew more like a 10 speed and the Sapphire is probably the closest comparison I've thrown.

Latest posts