• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Sapphire

Well, we seem to be having more wind lately than we have in the past and the Sapphire has sort of been letting me down. I wish I could get it in the 170+ weight range but since I can't I am trying to find a similar disc that comes in normal weights.

Anyone who throws these have any comparison with something like a Beast or Valkyrie or maybe have some other recommendations for something slightly understable in the speed 9/10 range?

Thanks.

DGA Undertow flies similar to a Sapphire for me. Might be what you are looking for.

Well, we seem to be having more wind lately than we have in the past and the Sapphire has sort of been letting me down. I wish I could get it in the 170+ weight range but since I can't I am trying to find a similar disc that comes in normal weights.

Anyone who throws these have any comparison with something like a Beast or Valkyrie or maybe have some other recommendations for something slightly understable in the speed 9/10 range?

Thanks.

There are Sapphires available in 170+ weight. I believe they're called "175 Carat" Sapphires. I haven't thrown one yet.

There are Sapphires available in 170+ weight. I believe they're called "175 Carat" Sapphires. I haven't thrown one yet.

I knew they made the Diamond in heavier weights but I didn't know they offered the Sapphire.

Ideally, I would love to replace my light Sapphires with heavier ones.

Thanks.

I knew they made the Diamond in heavier weights but I didn't know they offered the Sapphire.

Thanks.

I saw them online. Doesn't seem like they were well-advertised. Not sure if they were a tournament disc or what.

Thanks.

I have one of the heavier Diamonds. It's called a "+ 170 Carat" Diamond. It works much better for me than the standard weight ones. I got that one maybe 2, possibly 3 years ago. I too didn't know they made Sapphires in the 170 + range.

I got a couple Gold line Sapphires and a Chameleon to go along with my 2 Optos. Haven't thrown the new ones but have been liking the Optos thus far.

Anyway, as an above poster said, an Axiom Insanity might be an option. And even a champ Sidewinder. Those are much more OS in champ than the numbers would suggest.

Thanks.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the first release Sapphires were glimmer and slightly heavier 150s and low 160s. For sure they were more stable than Optos and Golds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the first release Sapphires were glimmer and slightly heavier 150s and low 160s. For sure they were more stable than Optos and Golds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're correct. I still bag one of the first run Opto Glimmers, and it's definitely more stable than my Gold Line. I haven't thrown a stock Opto yet.

First run sapphires were opto chameleon, and have same stability as the bunch of x-outs and two white optos I ordered later on. My most recent sapphire purchase was a white glimmer opto with the Sapphire bar stamp-- the very same as the prerelease review samples. That one's just too pretty to throw.

My two first run Sapphires are 157g. Haven't thrown a goldline yet, but I imagine they're slightly less stable.

I'd like one of those with the bear on em. Sucker for a good stamp am I.

I have only thrown my first 2 Optos. I'm liking them so far. I picked up a couple GL's and a Chameleon glimmer one. Haven't thrown the new ones yet because I don't want to lose them in the snow. But I think the GL's will be a bit less OS and my go to's. They have a great hand feel.

Well I found both of my Sapphires a few weeks ago and the beefier one made it back into the bag.

Yesterday I broke 400 for the first time ever on flat ground, throwing 435' with it. 158g Opto, fairly good wear on it. Put it on a baby hyzer, flipped to any and rode it for a while before fading out a little right of where I wanted.

I've not thrown a lot of bomber discs but the Sapphire is consistently longer than my 168g pop top robot ricky destroyer, 167g pop top star boss and 170g champion color glow shryke, and more controllable and reliably long than my 158g flippy star wraith, which held all of my longest throws until now.

I really like it for long hyzerflips that go straight or slightly right for rhbh and tailwind drives, but I don't trust it in any sort of headwind anymore. Really looking forward to the 170+ carats they're making for the trilogy challenge this year, hoping they fly slightly more stable and are a bit more reliable in the wind.

I purchased a 158g Goldline Sapphire. I've played 2 rounds with it; throwing it from every tee both fh and bh. At 300', I am not seeing any turn from this disc fh or bh. I have experience with both the Diamond and Jade. I would say that the Jade was the OS complement to the Diamond, and the Sapphire is the OS complement to the Jade.

Brand new, I am not wowed, but neither am I discouraged. I have thrown Tournament Swords that became my go to drivers once they lost their low speed stability, and this disc feels like it has that kind of potential.

More than a year has past and I own 4 of these now. The original was lost some time ago. The oldest is an Opto, which I puchased last summer, and it has barely broken in at all. I throw it fh, 330', on an anhyzer and it slowly flattens and then has a strong forward fade. The newest is Goldline and it's beefier than the Opto; its transition from anhyzer to fade is quicker. I am hoping that the Gold will break in quickly as there is a large gap in stability from that disc to my Gold Jade. I throw the Jade bh and it flies to its numbers 330'. The Gold Sapphire demands that I throw it bh/anhyzer or it will go nowhere. The Sapphire is a fantastic disc, but it's numbers and marketing are a bit misleading. The Jade is a step up from the Diamond, but there is, perhaps, room for another mold between the Jade and the Sapphire.

Has anyone thrown the Trilogy Challenge Sapphire yet? I'm looking at playing one later this month, and love the lightweight ones I have.

GL Sapphire at 157 grams is the perfect "overstable" distance driver or my noodle arm. Flies as far as a 157 Neutron Wave, but the reliable finishing fade keeps me out of trouble if I get over on the Sapphire a little too much.

Has anyone thrown the Trilogy Challenge Sapphire yet? I'm looking at playing one later this month, and love the lightweight ones I have.

I've heard they are having some sort of production issues of some sort and that quite a few people are getting chameleon Sapphires instead in the usual sub-160 weights. Can't verify if this is valid information though.

Mine is like a slightly slower Destroyer. I am trying to force it into play to get some wear on it. I have high hoped for it after break in.

I've heard they are having some sort of production issues of some sort and that quite a few people are getting chameleon Sapphires instead in the usual sub-160 weights. Can't verify if this is valid information though.

Looking at the player pack images, they appear to be the 170+ carat Sapphires, so, normal?

I'm interested in your reaction to the heavier Sapphire and how it performs relative to your Grace. I'm playing in a Trilogy Challenge in early August, and I 'm a fan of both discs. My Grace has a little less high and low speed stability than my lightweight Sapphires; a slow transition from anhyzer to hyzer followed by a forward penetrating fade.

I now have a 170+ carat Sapphire, 171g, and can compare it to a 159g Sapphire and a 175g Grace. The Sapphires are both in Goldline, and they perform as you would expect relative to one another. I would give the lightweight Sapphire a flight rating of 10/5/-.5/2, and the 170+ 10/5/0/2.5. I was throwing these fh. They have enough stability to tolerate a touch of anhyzer if thrown well, but they won't forgive mistakes when thrown on that angle.

The Grace and the lightweight Sapphire are very similar in flight. The Grace turns and fades like the Sapphire, but does so more slowly and smoothly. A good throw will produce another 20' to 30' for me.

I'm interested in your reaction to the heavier Sapphire and how it performs relative to your Grace. I'm playing in a Trilogy Challenge in early August, and I 'm a fan of both discs. My Grace has a little less high and low speed stability than my lightweight Sapphires; a slow transition from anhyzer to hyzer followed by a forward penetrating fade.

I got the Sapphire today, and have been in the mood for some field work. I look forward to comparing notes.