• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Sapphire

Agreed on the Chameleon versions. The low 150's Gold fly more as advertised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eh, I have 2 first run opto chameleons, 1 yellow opto, 1 white opto, and 4 x-out yellow optos. All fly pretty much the same-- slightly shorter Shrykes come to mind in their flight. All are able to get equal amounts of turn and fade.

I haven't tried a goldline Sapphire yet though, that sounds like it could be massive fun.

Tried a Sapphire for the first time today. Opto Chameleon 157g. Based on what I'd read, I was expecting a fairly flippy, glidey driver. The Chameleon plastic is beautiful and seems fairly rugged.

For only being 157g, I found the Sapphire to be pretty beefy. I wasn't able to make it stand up from a hyzer release at all. The disc would hold a hyzer line for the entire flight and seem to stall. In fact, the Sapphire seemed to hold whatever line I released it on. I had the best results when I torqued over on it a little and released the disc anny. The Sapphire would slowly flatten out and hold for almost the entire flight before fading gently.

The glide is there. I agree with the 6 rating. The Sapphire almost seems to float during the flat portion of its flight.

Fade is late and fairly minimal. The Sapphire is in no hurry to fade. It maintains a flat flight for a long time. Even when the disc finally does fade its a glidey, gentle fade. Nothing dumpy or abrupt.

Overall, I was impressed with the Sapphire, but not as a hyzerflip disc. This driver simply holds whatever line you put it on, and will take some huge rips despite its light weight. I was giving this thing all the arm I had without worrying about it flipping. My top distance with the Sapphire was about 425'. It was keeping up decently with a group of other much faster drivers. Fairly straight flight. Not a bunch of side to side S curve action. For only being speed 10 this disc is long. It combines great glide with a very straight, neutral flight.

Sapphire: 10, 6, -1, 2

Not nearly the high speed turn I was expecting here. I had to work to get this disc to turn at all or maintain a flat flight. Like I said, the Sapphire will hold the line you release it on. Once you get the disc turned, it'll stay flat and soar forever. The glide is exceptional and the fade is soft/gradual. This isn't really a disc I'd recommend for beginners. The distance is there, but not easy to achieve. The Sapphire takes a surprising amount of arm speed to flatten out. NOT a hyzerflip disc. The light weight and great glide combine to make the Sapphire a long flier. I also found that the light weight resulted in a few grip locked shots. I don't usually throw 150 class drivers.

Basically, I'd recommend this disc to anyone who wants speed 12-13 distance out of a 10 speed driver. The Sapphire will absorb big rips and respond accordingly with really good distance.

Thank u TDub. Was wanting to get a bigger arm report. I've been impressed with it's consistency of pushing down the fairway regardless of the release angle and as you said a slight fade when it slows down. And on low, flat lines you can get a bodacious skip if thats what you're looking for. [emoji106][emoji41]

Thank u TDub. Was wanting to get a bigger arm report. I've been impressed with it's consistency of pushing down the fairway regardless of the release angle and as you said a slight fade when it slows down. And on low, flat lines you can get a bodacious skip if thats what you're looking for. [emoji106][emoji41]

Yeah, I was really surprised how much brute force the Sapphire was absorbing without flipping. I was just smashing on this thing flat and it wouldn't bend right at all. My first few throws with it I kept trying hyzerflips. Nothing. I had to make a concerted effort to release the Sapphire anny to get much out of it.

Luckily the disc will stay flat once you do get over on it. The Sapphire was maybe 20' behind the Corvette and Katana I had out there today. Not quite "big boy" distance, but surprisingly close.

The Sapphire seemed to struggle against headwinds too, and not because it was flipping. The light weight of the disc made it get hung up a little. The disc would just stop/stall. Calm or downwind it was bombs.

I probably wouldn't bag it, but I liked what the Sapphire brought to the table. It absolutely wasn't the wimpy little driver I was expecting.

I bought a Goldline. I love the Jade in my 150 class bag, so I was hoping for something a little more stable and longer.
Well, I guess it is both, but not not for me. I can't get it to stand up. I can throw my Valks further.

I'll keep it and try again at another time.

Kind of disappointed.:\

I bought a Goldline. I love the Jade in my 150 class bag, so I was hoping for something a little more stable and longer.
Well, I guess it is both, but not not for me. I can't get it to stand up. I can throw my Valks further.

I'll keep it and try again at another time.

Kind of disappointed.:\

My Sapphire seems about the same speed as a Valk, but far more resistant to turning. Maybe next time I go to the field I'll bring a Valk. I haven't thrown one in quite a while.

The Sapphire definitely glides better than a Valk.... by a lot.

Yeah at this point it's become my go-to long driver, both forehand and backhand. I don't think Lat64 got exactly what they were looking for here, but it's a great mold regardless. Best new mold I've thrown in years from any manufacturer

I throw 320' to 330' on flat ground, laser measured. Tend to hyzerflip everything, rarely throw flexes.

158g Opto Sapphire, gave it another fair go today. I have to put significant (for me) intentional anny to keep it in the air, still hyzers out.

All these discs I bag go just as far and usually farther:
Hades with tiny bit of flex
Queen, beat in with a slight hyzerflip
Gstar Thunderbird flexed
Essence thrown flat
Gstar Valkyrie hyzer flipped
Gstar Sidewinder 158 very hyzerflipped

I've given up on the Sapphire at this time and put it in the garage box. It just doesn't do anything special for me, glide isnt really anything better than the rest of those and I feel like I have to work harder to make the Sapphire fly for distance.

I throw 320' to 330' on flat ground, laser measured. Tend to hyzerflip everything, rarely throw flexes.

158g Opto Sapphire, gave it another fair go today. I have to put significant (for me) intentional anny to keep it in the air, still hyzers out.

All these discs I bag go just as far and usually farther:
Hades with tiny bit of flex
Queen, beat in with a slight hyzerflip
Gstar Thunderbird flexed
Essence thrown flat
Gstar Valkyrie hyzer flipped
Gstar Sidewinder 158 very hyzerflipped

I've given up on the Sapphire at this time and put it in the garage box. It just doesn't do anything special for me, glide isnt really anything better than the rest of those and I feel like I have to work harder to make the Sapphire fly for distance.

You'd probably be suited better with a Heat. Those things glide for days and hyzerflip really well. For your power level you'd see good results. I can push Heats over 400', but I generally find them too flippy for routine use.

The Sapphire isn't anything like a heat. Much beefier.

I bought a 158g Opto Chameleon when they first came out, and I've been surprised by how OS it is. Look, I'm a noodle-arm so I know my limitations. But I still get longer (and straighter) throws with my Z Heat and my Breakouts in various plastics. I had a mid-150's Opto Jade that used to fly great (until I lost it), so I was hoping for neutral stability and distance with the Sapphire.

The Opto Chameleon Sapphire looks great - but it goes left.

Yeah, that´s true.

I use my Opto Chameleon (158g) for looong (Glide !!!) straight shots with a nice, hard finish to the left. (flat release) No Turn at all. Great for Tunnel shots when the basket is on the left side.:thmbup:
But my Gold Line Sapphire (154g) does excatly what the numbers tell you. Big turn to the right and then fading back. (flat release) For me the Gold Line seems to be T -2 ; F 2 :thmbup:

I'll admit I have a noodle arm, I'm 59 too but always working on my game and form.

The Sapphire is listed in their easy to throw line up. It's not. If you're a 400ft thrower, yes, then maybe it is, but if you're a 400ft thrower, I would imagine there are many other better options. So, who is this disc really for?

I loved the jade and as I said before, was hoping for a more stable Jade.

I throw a Valk 330ft, have a beat Pro that I can get a bit further in the right conditions, I can't get my Sapphire to 300ft.
I'll keep it in the car and throw it during field work, maybe if I break it in I can get that glide to kick in.

Then again, maybe I just got a dud.

I'll admit I have a noodle arm, I'm 59 too but always working on my game and form.

The Sapphire is listed in their easy to throw line up. It's not. If you're a 400ft thrower, yes, then maybe it is, but if you're a 400ft thrower, I would imagine there are many other better options. So, who is this disc really for?

I throw a Valk 330ft, have a beat Pro that I can get a bit further in the right conditions, I can't get my Sapphire to 300ft.
I'll keep it in the car and throw it during field work, maybe if I break it in I can get that glide to kick in.

If you're throwing one of the Chameleon or Opto ones, those are quite a bit more stable IME. The Gold Lines seem to turn a bit more easily.

If the stability differs that much among the plastics, then I'm really sorry I jumped on the initial release (only Chameleon was available).

It makes me question my loyalty to Latitude. Seriously - they pushed it as part of the "easy to throw" line, and made claims relative to the Jade (which many of us are familiar with). But if the only discs that really make good on their claim is in other plastics, released later, then why should I ever bother to buy a disc until I read a lot of user feedback.

OK - I guess the lesson is really too obvious...don't believe manufacturers' claims.

D'oh!

I have found the Sapphire get as a FH driver. It will hold and amazing straight line when i hit it flat. or with a touch of anny. It lets me know when i get the wing down. works great into a head wind bh for me where i would throw my jade but need extra stability. I have an opto and a goldline. the regular opto is a little less stable then the goldline. haven't thrown the chameleon.

I agree the Sapphire wasn't easy to throw. I max out at about 475' with stuff like Shrykes, Corvettes, or Katanas. I could push the Sapphire out to about 425', but I had to earn it. The Sapphire glides really well, but you have to throw the disc hard to flatten it out. It won't pop up from a hyzerflip at all.

To max out with the Sapphire I pretty much had to wrench it over anny as hard as I could with some height.

The Sapphire isn't a disc I'd recommend to any beginner or short thrower looking to tack on easy yardage. The disc is a wolf in sheep's clothing. The light weight is deceptive. For me the Sapphire flew like a star Destroyer. I could get turn if I put everything into it, but doing so wasn't easy at all.

I don't know who the disc would really suit. On the course I'd rather throw something like a Thunderbird, Teebird, or Explorer for those types of shots. The Sapphire is at least consistent/accurate. I could aim it easily.

If the stability differs that much among the plastics, then I'm really sorry I jumped on the initial release (only Chameleon was available).

It makes me question my loyalty to Latitude. Seriously - they pushed it as part of the "easy to throw" line, and made claims relative to the Jade (which many of us are familiar with). But if the only discs that really make good on their claim is in other plastics, released later, then why should I ever bother to buy a disc until I read a lot of user feedback.

OK - I guess the lesson is really too obvious...don't believe manufacturers' claims.

D'oh!

If it's a pink Chameleon and you don't want it, let me know. One of mine found its way into a pond already

OK, I got a chance to throw the Sapphire again today. Same disc as before, Chameleon 157g.

OH. MY. GOD. I got this thing dialed in perfectly, and it bombs. This is BY FAR the furthest flying speed 10 disc I've ever seen. I tacked on another 25' today over what I was doing a couple days ago. 450' multiple times. I'd attribute that to feeling more familiar with the disc than before.

Weather was nice and calm. No real breeze to speak of.

I was throwing the disc hard, high, and a little anny. Once you turn the Sapphire over a little it'll hold that line magnificently without drifting way off right. Excellent late glide and a very late fade.

I'm floored by this thing. Its keeping up with all the faster drivers I keep putting it up against. Everything from Mayhems, Ballista Pros, Katanas, Corvettes, ETC.

Consistent flights too. I think I grip locked it once today, but other than that the shots were really straight.

I'm absolutely serious when I say the Sapphire has 12-13 speed distance in a 10 speed disc. I'm also serious when I say you need a big arm to really flex it out. Anything less than 400' you probably won't even turn it.

I don't even know what I'd compare the Sapphire to. It doesn't remind me of any other disc. All I'll say is to be patient with this disc. It takes a little while to get a feel for. The results are worth the patience though. Stunning flier.

I'm absolutely serious when I say the Sapphire has 12-13 speed distance in a 10 speed disc. I'm also serious when I say you need a big arm to really flex it out. Anything less than 400' you probably won't even turn it.

Did you actually mean flex here?

I throw my Saphires on flex lines all the time and I get about 270'-300' out of them. More dump on the Opto, less on the Gold.

I definitely can't flip them up out of a hyzer though, or keep them turned over, but they throw flex lines well for me.

Maybe I just don't know the lingo though?