• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Scorch

Huh. I must have gotten a dud for a Scorch. The only turn I can get is when I put it on an anny line. I can't even compare it to my Hades or Zeus even. Moar Beef. Could be I'm just not activating the disc since I don't throw 400'.

The Scorch I threw didn't turn very easily. I could get the -2, but I had to throw it pretty hard. The Scorch seemed to do OK in headwinds as well. The disc's abrupt fade would always bring it back toward center pretty nicely.

It's not that I found anything WRONG with the Scorch, it's just that it doesn't necessarily distinguish itself from other discs.

I need to give this disc some more tosses. The day I threw it was a little clammy and windy.

IMO the Scorch doesn't turn nearly as easily as something like a Shryke.

I've thrown 4 Zeuses, and they were all beefier than the Scorch. Usually to get any turn on a Zeus I have to slam it hard, high, and anny.

Your review sounds pretty accurate to where I'm slotting it in my bag also. I reach for the Hades when I want more distance and have the space to not be worried if it turns a little more than I expected. I reach for a Wraith when I really want to know my disc won't turn too much and want a stable finish, and I use the Scorch for shots where I could probably throw the Wraith, but wish I could throw the Hades. I can get a bit more turn and distance out of the Scorch than I can the Wraith, but it still finishes similarly to the wraith with that nice stable bite at the end.

The Hades for me is MUCH longer than the Scorch. It glides better, turns a little easier, and fades later and subtler.

Next time I throw the Scorch I'll bring a Wraith out to see how they compare distance-wise. I can say already that the Scorch turns a little easier than a Wraith. Fade is similar.

I've really enjoyed reading some of these reviews to see how the disc behaves compared to mine. I ordered two from Discraft the day they dropped. Got a pink and blue, both 173-174. I have almost thrown the blue one exclusively since release, saving the pink one for backup.

Mine on a hyzer flip will get to flat at 100 ft, then drift right to 350, then finally hook up and land around 400-425. It seems to be the first disc of mine that I don't have to throw as hard as I can to push past 380. The two Zeus's that I have will get to just under 400 flat. I just feel like I don't have the speed on my backhand to keep up with the Zeus, but the flight is more predictable than the scorch.

The scorch is also one of the floatiest discs I've ever thrown. It just keeps pushing forward for me. The first glide of 6 that I really felt was a change from a 5. I am enjoying this disc a lot!

I've really enjoyed reading some of these reviews to see how the disc behaves compared to mine. I ordered two from Discraft the day they dropped. Got a pink and blue, both 173-174. I have almost thrown the blue one exclusively since release, saving the pink one for backup.

Mine on a hyzer flip will get to flat at 100 ft, then drift right to 350, then finally hook up and land around 400-425. It seems to be the first disc of mine that I don't have to throw as hard as I can to push past 380. The two Zeus's that I have will get to just under 400 flat. I just feel like I don't have the speed on my backhand to keep up with the Zeus, but the flight is more predictable than the scorch.

The scorch is also one of the floatiest discs I've ever thrown. It just keeps pushing forward for me. The first glide of 6 that I really felt was a change from a 5. I am enjoying this disc a lot!

Your Scorch definitely sounds flippier and glidier than mine.

So, if anyone is looking for a more OS version of the Scorch the max weight red with black stamp stock run Z I just got from Infinite is waaaaaaay more stable than my First Run Z, first few throws I kept saying "that's not a Scorch…". My FR I've spoken about I feel is closer to 11/6/-1/1ish but this stock run Z is hilarious, more like a 11/5/0/2 absolutely zero turn even released flat. Check out the PLH differences in my attached photo, Pink on the left is First run Z and has WAY more dome, the Red on the right is Stock run Z, much less dome and both are max weight 173-174.

Attachments

• 99A7CA5A-AF01-47A6-A61A-00FEA4EBE795.jpg
    99A7CA5A-AF01-47A6-A61A-00FEA4EBE795.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 60
So, if anyone is looking for a more OS version of the Scorch the max weight red with black stamp stock run Z I just got from Infinite is waaaaaaay more stable than my First Run Z, first few throws I kept saying "that's not a Scorch…". My FR I've spoken about I feel is closer to 11/6/-1/1ish but this stock run Z is hilarious, more like a 11/5/0/2 absolutely zero turn even released flat. Check out the PLH differences in my attached photo, Pink on the left is First run Z and has WAY more dome, the Red on the right is Stock run Z, much less dome and both are max weight 173-174.

That sounds like my experience with the stock run too. I never had any earlier runs.

The PLH comparison on my stock and first runs are the same as the photo Froth posted.

Watched a buddy throw a brand new stock run Scorch yesterday.... dumpy with no turn... crazy

My pink first run max weight has a dome. It flys further than my Thrashers, straighter and with a lot of glide. The blue 172g production run I got is flatter, more stable and lands about 10'-20' short of the pink's flight spending on the line. It reminds me of a Vulture in flight. I ordered a red max weight production run and should get it in the next week. Looking forward to seeing how it compares.
Received my red production run Scorch and had time to test it. It is flatter than my blue production run and pink first run. It flies the most stable right now and is really easy to forehand. Hoping it doesn't beat in too fast because between the trio I have a decent spread of stability. I ordered a couple of Jawbreaker Scorchs from the LIS store; looking forward to trying them!

Hey yall, November 5th

Looks like a fun drop. . .but its going to sell out so no point at even think about it.

I have used Discraft since the 90s but starting to take them out of the bag. . why even play with a brand that dont have discs to sell.

Looks like a fun drop. . .but its going to sell out so no point at even think about it.

I have used Discraft since the 90s but starting to take them out of the bag. . why even play with a brand that dont have discs to sell.

We might be seeing the new normal. Mfr runs 3000 discs, hypes, then sells them out direct to customer. No middle men.

Next step is auctioning them off from the factory…

I don't think they will sell out. You can even still find proto passions now...and plenty of z Scorch...

Big Z Anax are going slow. They just released a bunch of Tour Series that aren't selling quick.

You must not have been keeping up with discraft lately.....they have alot of discs available now....hell...they had big z Luna for retail on their site that lasted a week or so

I don't think they will sell out. You can even still find proto passions now...and plenty of z Scorch...

Big Z Anax are going slow. They just released a bunch of Tour Series that aren't selling quick.

You must not have been keeping up with discraft lately.....they have alot of discs available now....hell...they had big z Luna for retail on their site that lasted a week or so

Yes they do have a few disc in stock..in the US. . .But here in Sweden or Finland the big stores only have a handful of the less popular molds in stock....The huge Powergrip store have 3 molds from Discraft in stock
And it´s geting harder for me the shop in the US, Infinite dont ship to Europe anymore . . Discrafts own site has insane shipping costs. . .anything over 4 discs and OTB gets really expensive.

I think Discraft is prioritizes the US market, and i get that..but for Discraft fans in Europe things starting to look kind of hopeless

Scorch vs. Mystere

Got to throw the (Z) Scorch vs. a champion Mystere today. Scorch is 168g, and the Mystere is 171. I've thrown a couple Mysteres prior, but not recently. Scorch has a good dome. Mystere has a smaller dome, but isn't totally flat.

Results were surprising. The Mystere just kicked the living CRAP out of the Scorch. The Mystere turns a little easier, glides better, holds the turn longer, and fades later and less sharply than the Scorch.

The most damning thing of all was distance. In 15 or so head to head throws, the Mystere beat the Scorch by an average of 25'. It wasn't even close. I'd feel like I was just smashing the Scorch, and it'd wind up WELL short of the Mystere. The Scorch just loses SO much momentum so quickly, and I don't know why. It's like the disc stops going forward and plummets to the ground. All the distance the Scorch loses is late in flight.

Scorch: 11, 5, -2, 3
Mystere: 11, 6, -3, 2

I don't bag either of these discs, but if I picked one it'd be the Mystere. For the flippy, glidey 11 speed slot the Mystere is the better disc... and it isn't close.

Got to throw the (Z) Scorch vs. a champion Mystere today. Scorch is 168g, and the Mystere is 171. I've thrown a couple Mysteres prior, but not recently. Scorch has a good dome. Mystere has a smaller dome, but isn't totally flat.

Results were surprising. The Mystere just kicked the living CRAP out of the Scorch. The Mystere turns a little easier, glides better, holds the turn longer, and fades later and less sharply than the Scorch.

The most damning thing of all was distance. In 15 or so head to head throws, the Mystere beat the Scorch by an average of 25'. It wasn't even close. I'd feel like I was just smashing the Scorch, and it'd wind up WELL short of the Mystere. The Scorch just loses SO much momentum so quickly, and I don't know why. It's like the disc stops going forward and plummets to the ground. All the distance the Scorch loses is late in flight.

Scorch: 11, 5, -2, 3
Mystere: 11, 6, -3, 2

I don't bag either of these discs, but if I picked one it'd be the Mystere. For the flippy, glidey 11 speed slot the Mystere is the better disc... and it isn't close.

Down the road, a Scorch might beat into a fresh Mystere. The Mystere though… beats into a roller, I guess.

Down the road, a Scorch might beat into a fresh Mystere. The Mystere though… beats into a roller, I guess.

The Mystere I threw today was actually a pretty good disc. Reminded me of a flippy, glidey Wraith.

The Scorch flies so damn limply, and I don't get it. The Mystere completely put it to shame today.

Wish I got to try the first run domey scorches, MJ seems to love them. I picked up a red max weight really stiff regular run scorch with a small dome. Jesus, this isn't the glidey distance disc they've advertised. You can throw it hard and flat / with some anny and it fights out of it and just dies at the end of flight. I can get my slower fairway drivers out farther.

The only upside I could see to these OS runs is they aren't bad for forehanding, the mold is quite comfy in hand. Maybe some regular run ESP or flippier jawbreakers would do more justice.

Wish I got to try the first run domey scorches, MJ seems to love them. I picked up a red max weight really stiff regular run scorch with a small dome. Jesus, this isn't the glidey distance disc they've advertised. You can throw it hard and flat / with some anny and it fights out of it and just dies at the end of flight. I can get my slower fairway drivers out farther.

The only upside I could see to these OS runs is they aren't bad for forehanding, the mold is quite comfy in hand. Maybe some regular run ESP or flippier jawbreakers would do more justice.
Stock ESP drops 11/5 and I'm eagerly awaiting them hoping for more like the first run Z. I've "fixed" my stock Z so it flies true to numbers but not everyone wants to have to go through that.

Latest posts