• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Sell me on an under stable speed 9

I'd give Maul a try. It isn't as understable as an Underworld, but his a nice slow turn when thrown flat, and hyzerflips a dream. Not sure what it will beat into, but it has a ways to go go before becoming flippy.

Maul has great glide (7), and Opto in indestructable, so it will retain its flight for a while. DGC has them in white :)

It's rated as a speed 7, but having thrown a lot of Diamonds, it is definitely a step up.

Hatchet, Fury, and even Saint would be food next discs if you are throwing Diamonds now.

In the market for something faster than what I have in my bag currently. I am somewhat of a noodle arm and just really love the shape of a hyzer flip. Must have: beat in capabilities, but not a one tree KO, great glide, good feel on plastic, oh and come in blue or white:D. My initial thoughts are:

Valkyrie (pro?)
Jade

Discuss.

The Star Roadrunner fills the bill. It should hyzer flip when new. Star plastic wears in nicely and Star plastic is readily available in White or Blue. That being said, the Pro Valkyrie is a fantastic disc, but you may have to break it in first to get that hyzer flip flight.

My Plasma Amp was more stable than my Volt, stay away. I am going to vote G-Star Valkyrie...just feel it up before you buy... You know, Innova's famous "quality control".

The Star Roadrunner fills the bill. It should hyzer flip when new. Star plastic wears in nicely and Star plastic is readily available in White or Blue. That being said, the Pro Valkyrie is a fantastic disc, but you may have to break it in first to get that hyzer flip flight.

I agree with this. Valks are great for flex shots. They have a stronger fade imo, than the other discs mentioned so far.

For 300' power another nice hyzer flip disc is the Heat. Our local shop sells a ton of them.

A Roadrunner, Sidewinder, or Valkyrie in Star plastic would work nicely. However, my suggestion is the Latitude 64 FURY in Gold Line plastic. It has high glide to go with the understability, making it a great uphill disc for me as well as distance that rivals the (once record holder) Valkyrie. I still bag my Star Valkyrie, but I find myself going to the Fury quite a bit, especially when I want that understability.

Last edited:
Wanting to try something different? Could give the Assassin a try. Usually rates out to 9/6/-2/1 on converted charts and flies like a faster Leopard. The newer ones don't have the blizzardy rim like the old ones and now retailers are carrying S line ones for pretty cheap, if you can get a premium one they are super durable.

Westside Hatchet. It's like a longer Leopard that is just as easy to flip.

Innova - Star Valkyrie is great, that is what I use for this slot.
MVP - I would second the lower weight Insanity. They flip nicely, but usually come back. They might be a bit faster than 9. I bag this for controllable, straight or turnover distance.
Legacy - The Bandit is a nice Speed 9 understable disc. Didn't throw it a long time, because I lost it, but it is fast and has a nice understable line.
Lat64 - I threw the Vision for a long, long time. A bit more stable than you might want, so the other thought is River. A lot of people love the River.

Care to detail why? Thx.

Mostly subjective, I suppose. I like the feel in hand better...both the shape and the plastic (icon vs star.) But, more importantly, Roadrunners seem to be all over the map in terms of stability. I get that there is mold inconsistency across all discs and manufacturers, but I've had much better luck grabbing a Mongoose for what I want off the shelf.

I've just really come to like the Mongoose. After a little break in, it's a great hyzerflip to turnover disc for me, and if thrown correctly, can achieve great distance. Also a great roller disc.

Get a Star Roadrunner or Star Sidewinder. They will be useful for a long time. Or the Sirius Orion LS, which is grossly underestimated and overlooked. But that one might start out straight at your power. Once it develops a touch of flip though, it glides for days.

I love the big Z heat I got in a player pack, convex wing and microbead gives it a great in hand feel and I 2nd the crazy glide. I recommended the sidewinder instead tho because the rim is a little wider on the heat, combined with the sharp edge, definitely a 10 or 11 speed.
Also, Gstar sidewinder and star roadrunner are pretty interchangeable (depending on the rr, star is all over the map but g* seems pretty consistent)

Reading the title of the thread one disc that instantly popped in my head was the opto fury. Splendidly understable and smooth. I have upper middling power/distance and use mine for high hyzerflip to turnovers.

Get a Star Roadrunner or Star Sidewinder. They will be useful for a long time. Or the Sirius Orion LS, which is grossly underestimated and overlooked. But that one might start out straight at your power. Once it develops a touch of flip though, it glides for days.

I'm also been thinking about discing up to an under stable speed 9, although I may wait a lil while. In the field I'm getting my buzzes consistently to 300', at the opposite goalposts of the field. FDs I send out a little further, 10'-15'. Recently discovered I can straight up bomb to the upper 300's with a starlight tern.

David, do you think that the O LS overlaps to much with the FD? I've thrown one a couple times, It is straight for me; for longer than my FDs but I can't control it as well for golf throws yet.

Would I be better off discing up to something more understable?

Sidewinder ... easy to throw, demands good form and improves form, teaches the hyzer-flip like no other, and can be used for nearly any straight to understable shot including rollers.

I'm also been thinking about discing up to an under stable speed 9, although I may wait a lil while. In the field I'm getting my buzzes consistently to 300', at the opposite goalposts of the field. FDs I send out a little further, 10'-15'. Recently discovered I can straight up bomb to the upper 300's with a starlight tern.

David, do you think that the O LS overlaps to much with the FD? I've thrown one a couple times, It is straight for me; for longer than my FDs but I can't control it as well for golf throws yet.

Would I be better off discing up to something more understable?

Goalpost to goalpost is 360'...that's a crush with a buzzz.

When I think hyzer flip, I think old school. Almost everything was hyzer flip. My first thoughts are a cyclone.

Not a speed nine disc but very forgiving. Check it out. If I remember correctly you were into discraft stuff, none the less it would be a good disc to have in the bag.