• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Settling on a good midrange

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
Lately I've been trying out a few midrange discs hoping to basically find a good "workhorse" disc to anchor my bag and make basic shots with. By workhorse I mean a mid that will cover a range of shots easily and fly long/straight without any turnover.

My longtime basic mid was a Z Buzzz. It worked well for a while, but I noticed after a while it was becoming flippy and would trail right on any flat release. I replaced that with an EMac Truth. The Truth was better, but lately I noticed it also fluttering right when thrown hard. The EMac Truth was really a good mid for distance too. It covers ground well and is just short of a Teebird.

Enter the champion Roc3. Yes, I know this is an old mold and I'm VERY late to the party trying it now. The champion Roc3 works wonderfully. I'm able to throw it really hard without any high speed turn at all. IMO it isn't quite as long as a Buzzz or EMac Truth, but it is far less finicky and much easier to throw accurately. I've now tried 2 champion Roc3s and found them to both fly the same.

I was a Buzzz thrower for a LONG time, but I think the Roc3 is a better overall mold. The Buzzz has a little better glide and is longer, but it flips over more and seems to get pushed around badly in wind.

Right now I have the Roc3 and a Lat64 Pain in the bag. The Pain is a good overstable mid. It flies shorter and with a heavier fade than the Roc3.

I guess my point is, finding trusty midrange discs isn't as easy as it seems. There are tons of options and many of them seem to fly more understable than the numbers they're given.

Did you ever have more than 1 disc?

The beauty of any midrange is that they beat in and develop more turn, opening up new lines that can be thrown with less power and more control.

Here's the deal, the Verdict is a fantastic mid that is exactly what you are describing. It is stable, fast, almost a Teebird. When it beats in, it's like a fresh EMac Truth. Also, bonus points, it feels like an EMac Truth.

Lately I've been trying out a few midrange discs hoping to basically find a good "workhorse" disc to anchor my bag and make basic shots with. By workhorse I mean a mid that will cover a range of shots easily and fly long/straight without any turnover.

My longtime basic mid was a Z Buzzz. It worked well for a while, but I noticed after a while it was becoming flippy and would trail right on any flat release. I replaced that with an EMac Truth. The Truth was better, but lately I noticed it also fluttering right when thrown hard. The EMac Truth was really a good mid for distance too. It covers ground well and is just short of a Teebird.

Enter the champion Roc3. Yes, I know this is an old mold and I'm VERY late to the party trying it now. The champion Roc3 works wonderfully. I'm able to throw it really hard without any high speed turn at all. IMO it isn't quite as long as a Buzzz or EMac Truth, but it is far less finicky and much easier to throw accurately. I've now tried 2 champion Roc3s and found them to both fly the same.

I was a Buzzz thrower for a LONG time, but I think the Roc3 is a better overall mold. The Buzzz has a little better glide and is longer, but it flips over more and seems to get pushed around badly in wind.

Right now I have the Roc3 and a Lat64 Pain in the bag. The Pain is a good overstable mid. It flies shorter and with a heavier fade than the Roc3.

I guess my point is, finding trusty midrange discs isn't as easy as it seems. There are tons of options and many of them seem to fly more understable than the numbers they're given.

Why did you make this thread.

Sounds like you want a Roc, a Rancho Roc to be specific.

Can you school me on the Rancho Roc? How does it compare to a regular Roc? I had never thrown any Roc till a few weeks go when I found a Rancho. I honestly figured I'd likely not bag it since it is a larger weirder feeling, old mold.... but with few throws I tested the other day, I really enjoyed throwing it and will be taking on the course. Very small sample size and not enough to form a good opinion on but seemed like similar line to my Envy, which I love driving with, but with more glide. Not a knock on the Envy - goes just as far as some other mids for me.

You're pretty spot on with the Envy comparison. I always called my Envy a mini Roc. The other Rocs have more wiggle in their HSS than Ranchero.

I second the Wasp. Picked one up recently and it's the most versatile disc in my bag.

VIP Bard my man, flies like a good beefy Roc for years.

I haven't tried the EMac Truth, but I have Star, Champ, and Metal Flake Roc3s; Titanium, Z, and Glow Buzzzes; and Opto and Gold Line Compasses. The Buzzzes are the longest. The MF Roc3 was a bit more overstable than the rest. The Compasses didn't do all that much for me.

Ti Buzzz and Champ Roc3 are both awesome. It may come down to feel in the hand. Choose what works best, and rock it!...

The next time you decide you want to try a new mid, you need to try a Verdict. Fade is pretty mild for the amount of HSS it has.

I have a really flat Z Buzzz that's more HSS than the EMac I had, with the same or maybe even less fade. It's a better pairing with the Verdict in my opinion.

I find your results quite odd. I bagged Roc3's for my first year of playing. Accumulated 7 of them, in a variety of different plastics. Then a couple months ago I picked up an Emac Truth and Verdict on a whim and was instantly blown away. My Roc3's would hold a line great, but struggled terribly in a moderate (15+ mph) headwind. I was shocked that the Emac could hold nearly an identical line with less power AND could do it into a headwind. Then throw the Verdict into the equation, which goes further than a RocX3 with more HSS and more LSS. Objectively speaking, it does what a RocX3 was designed to do but does it better in all facets.

So again, I find your results odd because they are the exact opposite of my personal experience. A fresh Emac Truth holds a line into a headwind better than a fresh Champ Roc3, which allows me to now throw my workhorse mid in more conditions. And for situations when I really need to step up to that added stability, the Verdict outperforms the RocX3. I understand liking the Roc3 for if you prefer a more traditional mid feel in the hand, or if you find the Emac overlaps too much with your fairways. But liking it for added stability just seems strange.

You sound like maybe you have some OAT issues. I had a Z Buzzz and it showed no wear after throwing it for a year. Good disc in super tough plastic, it is rated 5/5-1/1 though so a bit of drift to the right when thrown flat could be expected. also the Emac Truth stays pretty stable for a while in premium plastics. I don't know how much power you have but I am guessing it's a form issue before it's the disc, I have seen Doss rip on a Buzzz and Emac himself put some pretty good rips on his Truths. Also I will second BROOMERANG on mids with wear. You have a mid and have thrown it enough for it to show enough wear to change in flight then you and that disc now have a relationship, most likely you'll be able to do more with this mid than another. Once you have one worn just throw a freshy in as a bookend and if you need an OS/US compliment then add that as well. If I were you I'd do a form check and if that's not the issue then there are plenty of completely decent suggestions here but really consider not ditching your worn mids just keep working with them and keep them dialed in. That's what I got man, good luck.

You sound like maybe you have some OAT issues. I had a Z Buzzz and it showed no wear after throwing it for a year. Good disc in super tough plastic, it is rated 5/5-1/1 though so a bit of drift to the right when thrown flat could be expected. also the Emac Truth stays pretty stable for a while in premium plastics. I don't know how much power you have but I am guessing it's a form issue before it's the disc, I have seen Doss rip on a Buzzz and Emac himself put some pretty good rips on his Truths. Also I will second BROOMERANG on mids with wear. You have a mid and have thrown it enough for it to show enough wear to change in flight then you and that disc now have a relationship, most likely you'll be able to do more with this mid than another. Once you have one worn just throw a freshy in as a bookend and if you need an OS/US compliment then add that as well. If I were you I'd do a form check and if that's not the issue then there are plenty of completely decent suggestions here but really consider not ditching your worn mids just keep working with them and keep them dialed in. That's what I got man, good luck.

IDK. The whole midrange thing for me is a bit of work in progress. I used a Buzzz for a long, long time. I liked it a lot, but I never felt like it could handle really hard rips. The disc would always track right, and that was exacerbated by any sort of headwind. I've tossed 2 champion Roc 3s in the last month and had great results with both. Its like that disc is made to be thrown hard. I was instantly putting them on target consistently.

I'll reiterate that I really like the Emac Truth. Problem is, the disc has suddenly decided to become inconsistent/flippy. I've lost it badly right on multiple occasions on what should have been fairly easy shots. The Emac Truth would cut through the air with authority and seemed to outdistance other mids I had thrown prior.

My form probably isn't the most outstanding thing anyone's ever seen. I won't call myself a very good finesse thrower. I tend to choose discs that suit hard throwing rather than flippy discs that are better on finesse throws. I'll readily admit I don't practice enough with mids. I feel like I'm pretty good with them, but I like to throw mids hard and straight. I never really developed much of a shot for flippy mids. I tend to do very poorly with those and they end up all over the place.

The champion Roc3 seems idiotproof. I go up to the tee with that thing and rip it hard. The disc does all the work. It flies remarkably straight and seems resistant to high speed turn or excessive late fade. I think for now I'm going to continue bagging it.

I haven't ditched any of my old mids. I still have many Buzzes and the Emac Truth. I'm not writing them off completely, but right now I'm sure not feeling confident with them. I might throw a Ti Buzzz in the bag and see what happens there. I've thrown them before and found them to be a bit beefier than regular Z Buzzes. I may also need to reexamine the Wasp. I've actually thrown them previously, but for some reason not jelled with them.

There's also the Kastaplast Kaxe, often described as the lovechild of a Roc and a Teebird. It's slightly faster than a Roc3 but if you like throwing hard it might be something to try out. My K1 (premium plastic) is straighter than my K3s (baseline plastic).

IDK. The whole midrange thing for me is a bit of work in progress. I used a Buzzz for a long, long time. I liked it a lot, but I never felt like it could handle really hard rips. The disc would always track right, and that was exacerbated by any sort of headwind. I've tossed 2 champion Roc 3s in the last month and had great results with both. Its like that disc is made to be thrown hard. I was instantly putting them on target consistently.

I'll reiterate that I really like the Emac Truth. Problem is, the disc has suddenly decided to become inconsistent/flippy. I've lost it badly right on multiple occasions on what should have been fairly easy shots. The Emac Truth would cut through the air with authority and seemed to outdistance other mids I had thrown prior.

My form probably isn't the most outstanding thing anyone's ever seen. I won't call myself a very good finesse thrower. I tend to choose discs that suit hard throwing rather than flippy discs that are better on finesse throws. I'll readily admit I don't practice enough with mids. I feel like I'm pretty good with them, but I like to throw mids hard and straight. I never really developed much of a shot for flippy mids. I tend to do very poorly with those and they end up all over the place.

The champion Roc3 seems idiotproof. I go up to the tee with that thing and rip it hard. The disc does all the work. It flies remarkably straight and seems resistant to high speed turn or excessive late fade. I think for now I'm going to continue bagging it.

I haven't ditched any of my old mids. I still have many Buzzes and the Emac Truth. I'm not writing them off completely, but right now I'm sure not feeling confident with them. I might throw a Ti Buzzz in the bag and see what happens there. I've thrown them before and found them to be a bit beefier than regular Z Buzzes. I may also need to reexamine the Wasp. I've actually thrown them previously, but for some reason not jelled with them.

Well then that's settled a Roc3 it is. Maybe try and get some field work in with a less stable compliment though, you'll need it one day.