• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Shallow Putter with 0 turn and 1 fade?

I have thrown my Pure close to 300' a few times, but can't seem to get consistency, and it doesn't feel right in the hand which is 75% of the battle i think...

I loved the pure for driving, but hated it for putting.

Maybe the mvp atom is more up your alley.

Agreed. Thrown properly, an Opto Pure is one of the farthest flying putters one can drive with. The Lucid Judge also flies very far for me.

The new Aviar3 is more overstable, but is an outstanding throwing/driving putter.

After looking over some reviews about the Aviar3 I went ahead and ordered one up.. I really like the sound of it.. i also ordered an Envy and Atom.. hopefully i'll find that disc that just feels right!

After looking over some reviews about the Aviar3 I went ahead and ordered one up.. I really like the sound of it.. i also ordered an Envy and Atom.. hopefully i'll find that disc that just feels right!

Nice. The Envy is a disc you can mash on and it has more of a true 0 turn. The Atom is less high speed stable, but will give you that mellow, almost non-existent fade you're looking for. Good luck in your quest for the perfect putter. :thmbup:

The Judge's numbers are the same as the Warden's, though I've found the Judge to be slightly more overstable.

The Proxy lists its numbers as -1,1, as does the Colt. Maybe the Magic?

agreed. except I'd say its more than slightly. Its noticeably more OS than the Warden. I use Judge for putting on windy days and some approach shot as well as some occasional throws from the tee. It has a lot more fade than a Warden. The Warden for me flight straight and lands on the same path whereas the Judge finishes to the left. The Judge is also, IMO, not a shallow putter.

:thmbup: And let us know how you like all of these putters when you've tried them out.

Atom is pretty darn close.

What about the Ion?

Ions, Anodes and Spins are all deeper than the Proxy, Atom and Envy.

I putt with an Ion and drive with the proxy / envy combo. They feel really good in the hand, and also feel basically the same so they pair well.

From what I've heard about the Aviar3 its along the lines of the Proxy and Envy. Between the three one will surely work.

plus one vote for the Prodiscus Jokeri, best feeling driving/upshot putter i have found, powers down well, also feels great for Forehands- just the right amount of stability IMHO-

recommended here on DGCR, by someone and I tried it, and fell in love

Jesus Christ people, read the OP.

SHALLOW. Ion is 1.6. Proxy, Aviar 1.5. Those are not shallow. Summit, Ringer, 1.2, that's shallow. Colt, Stud, Spike 1.3.

Average is Pure, Envy, Shield, etc. 1.4. Deep dish is Wizard, 1.8.

Jesus Christ people, read the OP.

SHALLOW. Ion is 1.6. Proxy, Aviar 1.5. Those are not shallow. Summit, Ringer, 1.2, that's shallow. Colt, Stud, Spike 1.3.

Average is Pure, Envy, Shield, etc. 1.4. Deep dish is Wizard, 1.8.

Numbers aren't everything. The Proxy might not be shallow, but it feels shallow, probably due to its flat top. Yes, the Aviar and Anode, and to some extent the Ion, have shoulders that make them feel deeper when I grip them.

The Aviar3 may not measure any more shallow than the Aviar P&A or P2, but it feels relatively shallow to me, again probably due to the flat top. I can grip the Aviar3 better than the P2 or Aviar P&A for a good throw/drive, and a good grip is a confidence builder.

In any and all cases, putters are a very personal thing to each player, and what works for one person may not work for another. The OP is just going to have to take the advice given with appropriate grains of salt, and then go find out what works best for him.

For driving putters, it doesn't get much better than Proxy/envy... I've tried P2s, judges, and ions/anodes (have not tried the Aviar3 yet) and these two beat them all. True 0 HSS and zero fade for the proxy, decent fade for the Envy. Also they feel darn near a driver in the hand, not at all like a deep dish putter. A squared off inner rim works wonders to making a disc feel shallow.

I recently got a Zero Medium Pure to see what all the fuss was about (Blueberry!). However, it was definitely flippy out of the box (and not just because of OAT). Perhaps the optos are more stable though. I've thrown a couple Envies. The Neutron one I had a long time ago I'd call 0 1.5. I recently threw iDiscGolf's Neutron Soft Envy and I'd say it was more like 0 3; much more fade. I don't know if the softs have more fade than the regular Neutrons or if they are just inconsistent.

The proto XT Colts definitely started out around 0 1.5, but they beat in to have some turn fairly quickly (I still love them though). I haven't tried a production XT. The production Star and GStar Colts I've thrown had significantly more turn than the protos though.

I don't think anyone has suggested the RDG Serpent yet. I've been using those for putter shots where I was a really straight flight and I don't want to go long of the basket (inside ~225). I can throw Colts on the same shots, but they tend to overshoot easier, so it depends on what you want the disc to do for you. I'd rate the Serpent's flight to be about 0 1 though.

I recently got a Zero Medium Pure to see what all the fuss was about (Blueberry!). However, it was definitely flippy out of the box (and not just because of OAT). Perhaps the optos are more stable though. I've thrown a couple Envies. The Neutron one I had a long time ago I'd call 0 1.5. I recently threw iDiscGolf's Neutron Soft Envy and I'd say it was more like 0 3; much more fade. I don't know if the softs have more fade than the regular Neutrons or if they are just inconsistent.

The proto XT Colts definitely started out around 0 1.5, but they beat in to have some turn fairly quickly (I still love them though). I haven't tried a production XT. The production Star and GStar Colts I've thrown had significantly more turn than the protos though.

I don't think anyone has suggested the RDG Serpent yet. I've been using those for putter shots where I was a really straight flight and I don't want to go long of the basket (inside ~225). I can throw Colts on the same shots, but they tend to overshoot easier, so it depends on what you want the disc to do for you. I'd rate the Serpent's flight to be about 0 1 though.

Optos are dead stable. I never liked Zero for throwing.

This thread should have ended after the 8th post. Classic roc is this disc. But oh wait innova OOPed it. Such a waste to make room for the junk colt

This thread should have ended after the 8th post. Classic roc is this disc. But oh wait innova OOPed it. Such a waste to make room for the junk colt
Out of curiosity, how does the Classic Roc compare to the XD?

You throw zero for turnovers and hyzerflips. You throw opto for workhorse. Not exactly sure a zero pure is flippy, but it definitely is understable.

I'd agree the serpent is a solid choice though.

Latest posts