• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shaving cream nasty

Retrovertigo

So I've tried two discs so far in shaving cream, and can't seem to get it right on my Star plastics at all. Dipping is the only way I've gotten really vibrant and slick color on my discs and I wonder what I've been doing wrong. I initially mixed my idye poly with 32 ounces of hot water and mixed it up in a jar. I then would make a shaving cream base on a plastic plate, then make a dye cream with some more shaving cream, dye, and I've tried with and without acetone. I'll put it on my base, get the design I want, then put my disc in for 8-16 hours only to have it turn out looking like bright but unshiny colors. Any advice I can get would be awesome.

Attachments

• IMG_20130708_115747_949.jpg
    IMG_20130708_115747_949.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 297
I'm in the same boat. I've tried a couple different methods of disc dying a couple times and never gotten good results. The way I see it, disc dying is art, and I'm not much of an artist.

Pretty good attempt at a vajayjay there though Retro.

Haa! Makes me worry about you tho. You shouldn't be getting with girls that have a vajayjay that looks like the Eye of Sauron.

(Forgot to say Retro, Happy First Post.)

I use a shot glass 1/4 full of water and add 1/8 teaspoon idye poly powder. I mix well, and if there is no residue powder in the shot glass I will add a little bit more powder so I have a supersaturated solution. then I had a squirt of Barbasol and mix well until the color and texture is uniform. the shot glass is mostly full at this point.

my shaving cream Bed is also watered down a little bit. I don't know the exact amount of water I add, but I'm able to pour it out like cake batter, maybe a little thicker. brownie batter?

12 hours is usually the minimum I let it sit, but don't let your shaving cream bed be too shallow. The disc will sink over time and the bottom of the pan/bed will be a runny mess and you do not want your disk laying in that.

Haha thanks guys. And oh wow, I was told to mix it with 32 ounces of water for a package, clearly mines too dilluted for that then. I get pretty solid colors from dipping for an hour or two, but painting takes me about 40+ applications. =/ The nuke symbol i did with wax, and got a little bleed, but at a distance looks like a dirty nuke, it's cool. The other I used electrical tape/dip, and painting on for the colors. Not sure why those 2 turned out so much better with dipping/painting than SC.

Attachments

• IMG_20130706_185142_561.jpg
    IMG_20130706_185142_561.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20130708_213436_346.jpg
    IMG_20130708_213436_346.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 125
To get consistent(ish) results, my mixture is:

A 16-20oz cup of shaving cream
Half a shot-glass of iDyePoly mix (1 liter:1 packet)

Stir it up; liquid will gather towards the bottom of the cup, so turn it (carefully) sideways while mixing. You need less dye than you think you do, especially with iDyePoly Red. If you've got liquid that you can't seem to have absorb into the shaving cream, add more cream.

After that, it's practice, practice, practice. Tell your buddies you'll do a disc of theirs for free, that's usually a good way to get some sample discs to work with.

Thanks Rayne, I tried it just like that in a shaving cream base, with not so great of results, colors just didn't pop again. Gonna try painting with a shaving cream idye mix next time.

I find the colors pop much more if you mix the powder with a little alcohol to dissolve it, then add a bit of liquid laundry detergent. Paints on real nice.