• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Short traveling disc @ full power?

Get yourself a Stego....just be careful not to hit yourself in the back of the head with it when that overstability kicks in!

The "over-stability" kicks in before it leaves your hand...

I am not sure that it is really over-stability that the Stego possesses:confused:,

more like a gravity enhanced ability to find the ground when thrown...:eek:

I have two discs in my possession that fit the bill:
Cryztal FLX Tracker (with the 3.0 rating)
LE Cryztal Zone (flag stamp ledgestone from two years ago)

Both of these discs are particularly boring and somewhat punishing to throw, particularly the Tracker. Maybe you could break 200' with a Lizotte arm or a decent arm with a serious flex line.

I echo what others say: the first option is to learn to power down.

The other thing is that, on the course, I can think of very few situations (besides wide open holes) where this shot would be preferable or particularly useful. In those cases, why not learn a spike hyzer, grenade, or even tomahawk or thumber to accurately range approaches? On more wooded courses, the course and your lie will often choose the shot for you. In those cases, learning touch forehands and backhands with many discs is indispensable.

Honest question here. What is your problem with powering down putters on a short course? Why don't you like it? Just wondering.

This wasn't directed to me, but for others reading let me say this: I switched from the Harp to the Zone largely because when I threw the Harp hard it would straighten out, but I can throw the Zone hard and it reliably fades. Part of that was that when I did try to finesse the Harp, power down on it, etc., I had very inconsistent results.

So I don't know if that's the OP's reason for not liking powering down, but it's a possible reason for preferring the reliably OS disc when thrown hard.

Also, in a recent video, 5x World Champion Paige Pierce said she likes to throw her shots hard. Some people just prefer that to powering down...

I have two discs in my possession that fit the bill:
Cryztal FLX Tracker (with the 3.0 rating)
LE Cryztal Zone (flag stamp ledgestone from two years ago)

Both of these discs are particularly boring and somewhat punishing to throw, particularly the Tracker. Maybe you could break 200' with a Lizotte arm or a decent arm with a serious flex line.

I echo what others say: the first option is to learn to power down.

The other thing is that, on the course, I can think of very few situations (besides wide open holes) where this shot would be preferable or particularly useful. In those cases, why not learn a spike hyzer, grenade, or even tomahawk or thumber to accurately range approaches? On more wooded courses, the course and your lie will often choose the shot for you. In those cases, learning touch forehands and backhands with many discs is indispensable.

I love throwing a spike hyzer and have a fairly good tomahawk. Unfortunately there are some holes on my home course that don't really lend to either. The entire front 9 is technical (claystone park, macon ga for reference), so the finesse upshots are coming along.

Go max weight Rask. They don't really fade, they just find the ground.... fast.

They also have the added advantage of acting as a course maintenance tool. ;)

I have a 175g glow rask actually. It's my headwind spike hyzer/tomahawk disc. I've buzzsawed my fair share of trees with it lol

This wasn't directed to me, but for others reading let me say this: I switched from the Harp to the Zone largely because when I threw the Harp hard it would straighten out, but I can throw the Zone hard and it reliably fades. Part of that was that when I did try to finesse the Harp, power down on it, etc., I had very inconsistent results.

So I don't know if that's the OP's reason for not liking powering down, but it's a possible reason for preferring the reliably OS disc when thrown hard.

Also, in a recent video, 5x World Champion Paige Pierce said she likes to throw her shots hard. Some people just prefer that to powering down...

I think Climo also said he doesn't like throwing under 80%...I could be wrong though. I'm in the same boat as you though, I don't like getting inconsistent fade out of dics proportionate to how much I power down.

To everyone... not that you need my approval, but I'm very pleased with the way that this thread went. It could have gone South in a hurry, but it didn't.

To paraphrase the movie Pretty Woman (a guilty pleasure)...

I find this hard to say without sounding condescending, but I'm proud of you. :hfive: :D

I think Climo also said he doesn't like throwing under 80%...I could be wrong though. I'm in the same boat as you though, I don't like getting inconsistent fade out of dics proportionate to how much I power down.

I've watched one in the bag in my life and that was Climo's from years ago. he had a Sonic in his bag. I would guess he throws under 80% with that disc.
Just me speculating.

I've watched one in the bag in my life and that was Climo's from years ago. he had a Sonic in his bag. I would guess he throws under 80% with that disc.
Just me speculating.

Its like everyone said, powering down is pivotal in playing, ans I don't doubt Clump did it plenty, but doesn't mean he avoided it if he there was another option.

I feel bad now, this should have been my answer to a new player.

A few years ago I played with this group of younger/newer players. One guy could throw it 500ft (literally) but couldn't throw it 200ft.

So yeah, learn to power down.

I had a cousin who was a soccer and basketball player. He has trouble powering down with putters only until he got the Champion Rhyno discs with the low glide compared to the , then he found out how to power down as with a Bride he could still with 70% turn and burn though they only went the right distance. Also he is a sub elite triathlon runner for the Olympic distance/sprint distance and was a track runner in high school for 2 years when the coach of the soccer would finally let him do other sports during the outdoor rec soccer season. He is better at doing the Olympic distance and sprint distance triathlon and is one of the naturally fastest people I have met, his slow speed is an 8:00 min per mile pace or 7:50 min per 1600 meters/1.6 kilometers

Innova Zypher, 190-200 grams. You will still have to power down but not as much as you would with your Envy. It might not be exactly what you want, but it's one of the discs I like to use on really short courses to make them a little more interesting.

Latest posts