• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Shorter Opto Pure??

I went through the low profile throwing putter quest and finally gave up and learned to throw the Aviar type putters for straight/turnover drives. You really need to learn to throw a Reef, Magnet, or similar shape to get the desired results. I like DGA's D-Line plastic so I'm throwing the Reef. It's also my circle putter to keep it simple. It took me a long time to gain grip comfort and confidence with deeper putters but was well worth the investment.

I went through the low profile throwing putter quest and finally gave up and learned to throw the Aviar type putters for straight/turnover drives. You really need to learn to throw a Reef, Magnet, or similar shape to get the desired results. I like DGA's D-Line plastic so I'm throwing the Reef. It's also my circle putter to keep it simple. It took me a long time to gain grip comfort and confidence with deeper putters but was well worth the investment.

Yeah I threw BB Aviars for a substaintial amount of time, and its managable for sure. I even like the flght ok. Its hard to argue with years and years of top players being very sucessful with them.

I just never had the comfort and confidence in them that I INSTANTLY had with the Pure.

I also tried Wizards and invested heavily in them for practice. Thankfully its a popular mold, so I recouped the majority of my investment there. I still have a box full of KCP Aviars.

Of that type, I will prob just invest more time with the Warden. I already have a few nice ones laying around.

Beat the fade out of a baseline Rhyno? Not my cup of tea, but works well for a few of my friends. OOP Pro/ProLines last forever in that sweet spot, RPros about half a season but don't take as long to get beat.

This is not a bad suggestion...

I already carry a beat up DX Ontario (PFN) in 167g for longer putts. That early DX plastic has such amazing grip! I use it for long putts that I start on an anny and it slowly glides out and turns back into the chains.

I rarely use it for driving/upshots (unless its wide open) cause i want to keep it in the spot it is for a long time. I have a few old DX backups, but most are max weight.

I might pick up a lighter new DX as I'm sure it'll beat quicker and be less OS than an Ontario.

I carry 4 putters:
1) Champ Ontario Rhyno 175g - (OS driving, FH annys, OS upshots, utility)
2) DX Ontario Rhyno 168g beat -(Long glidey putts, soft anny approaches, headwind putts)
3) RGL or Opto Pure 174g - (Obvious Pure things. pretty much holds any line)
4) ZH Pure 175g - (inside the circle/workhorse putter)

Between my RGL and Opto Pures, I tend to enjoy throwing the RGL honestly. But I dont notice a huge difference in the flight, the Opto may be a tick more OS, but its also fresh-er

I don't know how long you have been playing but lately I have been revisiting many of the molds I tried in the beginning and didn't like for whatever reason. I like the Pure a lot. It's a great small diameter mid-range.:)

I don't know how long you have been playing but lately I have been revisiting many of the molds I tried in the beginning and didn't like for whatever reason. I like the Pure a lot. It's a great small diameter mid-range.:)

About 4-5 years (hard to remember, but it feels like forever lol)

I do agree with you though... As I constantly grow and my game evolves, I have been back to molds (or similar molds) to ones that I originally did'nt like.

Lately it has been moving to more US plastic. I used to turn and burn a Leopard like it was my job, now I love using that mold for loooong hyzer bombs or tight late turnovers, or hyzerflip lazers, or soft FHs, or anything lol. My 170 champ Leo has a permanent home in my bag =-)

I like the new chief from Gateway. Really low profile, much less glide than a pure. Ends up about 20-30 ft. shorter for me in the field than my opto pure with the same basic line. I, however, have settled on the Pure and Envy as my approach/driving putters. I have a nice zero hard that holds its line whether the throw is 50' or 250'

I found the Pa4 to be very long flying though. Its one of my favorite newer putters to come out in a while actually but my protos seem to glide and fly far well.

I found the Pa4 to be very long flying though. Its one of my favorite newer putters to come out in a while actually but my protos seem to glide and fly far well.

Youre not wrong, ill clarify

I feel like when underpowered it flies like a pure, but since its underpowered its gonna be a bit shorter. Both have lots of glide. I think the pure has just enough more HSS to be thrown just a bit harder without being unpredictable. Tbh i have trouble ranging both, so much glide..

Okay, you said no aviars... but Classic Aviars (the grid stamped ones) are probably the best fit. Or give a champ Dart a try.

I just put my grid stamp back in the bag for this reason. The pure just goes to far. The aviar is much easier to range. So I carry both now. The aviar has a similar rim feel.

So since I added the Pure to my bag it has been a game changer! Its def taken strokes off my game and I love it. The only issue I have at times is how dang far it goes! Its the only disc I've ever tried that I can consistently throw so lazer straight. We have several holes around Charlotte that 250-300' straight, super tight, tunnels. (Example: The Gauntlet @ Hornets Nest)
The Pure can drill that gap 8/10 times for me. On shorter holes like this and approaches where I want a slightly US glidier putter, the pure can blast past it leaving me a long come back putt.

When I power it down to get the right distance, it can have a more OS flight.

I have had a really hard time finding putters to bond with, and am super happy with my Pure/Rhyno combo. I just wish I could find a Pure short.

Things I like about the Pure:
1) Low Profile
2) Rim feel
3) flat top
4) Glide/flight

Can someone reccomend a disc to compliment the Pure that is very similar in feel and flight but just shorter?? I prefer non-beaded, but I can maybe deal with one.

No Aviars though, just too deep to be comfy for me.

Thanks!

Pure/rhyno combo is my forever combo in my bag. I putt with zero hards and upshot with opto pures. I honestly would say get a zero hard or a blend and beat it to ****. I use a beat eze pure for low power putter shots that I dont want to fade. I beating in a zero hard so I can retire my eze.

Polecat.

It's a cool disc to have in the bag. Shorter than a Pure or Envy for me. Adds some tricks that only a lid can give you as well.

is a ruby like a pure?
i've thrown a recycled ruby that was glidey but very understable.

also how does opto pure compare to opto fuse? any reason to carry both?

Over the weekend I threw my Opto Pure over 500'.....from a standstill.....powered down.

It's officially the longest disc in my bag!

In this spot I use a beat Zero Soft Pure. It beats in enough already within few weeks for those powered down straight shots. At the same time you will get yourself an understable compliment for the longer holes.

I have a new evo magic, that would work well for this.
Its shallow like the pure, but its a glidless manhole cover compared to my opto pure.
So it ends up a lot shorter.