• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Should I buy a Champion or Star Firebird

Mortis Canyon

Hello all,

I recently lost my goto Champion Firebird by throwing it into a pond this past weekend. I do have a back up, so no big deal for that round. However, I am looking to purchase another Firebird to back up the one I'm currently throwing.

I love the Champion Firebird, but have heard good things about the Star Firebird as well. Finally my question, which one would you all prefer to have in your bag and why? I just wanted input from others before I go buy the same disc again.

Thanks all!!

I carry both a flat Star and a flat Champ. My Star definitely has more glide/distance and isn't as overstable and the grip is better and it will be it over time. Champ will last forever and will hold it's stability. If I only had one; it would be a Champ. Mine will be useful till the day it's lost on the course.

I have a star in my bag right now. It's not as overstable as the champion, but it still fights wind and comes back every time.

I carry a 12x Star 172 in my bag and its kinda domey and getting beat. It's been a great disc since I bought it, but the more beat it gets its not flying as consistent so I am going to buy a new Star and I'm also tempted to try a flat Champ because of all the good things I hear.

If I had to pick one, I'd choose Star. Just because it's easier to throw.

But I doubt I could throw one any farther than my Banshee. Well. Maybe farther right :p (RHFH)

I carry a 12x Star 172 in my bag and its kinda domey and getting beat. It's been a great disc since I bought it, but the more beat it gets its not flying as consistent so I am going to buy a new Star and I'm also tempted to try a flat Champ because of all the good things I hear.

Do it, I threw a Star Firebird for a couple years then I switch to Champion Flat Top & haven't looked back since. You won't regret it. :cool:

I carry 2, a domey champ and a newer 12x flat top. The flat top has never left my bag since day one. It is my go to utility,thumber,skip shot disc. And I love it. It depends on how stable u want it to be. The star and the softer domeier champs will fly farther though, but less stable. If I had only one it would be a 12x flat top, just a lot more versatile. I use a trident and a champ TB behind them in stability.

Like others have said, star will glide out farther before fading sharply. the champ starts it fade earlier and it is more dramatic. They're both useful, but would keep the champ if you could only have one.

I've tried one of the newer flat stuff star firebirds and the plh was way higher and it was much more overstable than the flat champs. Something though about how it felt in my hand I didn't like it so I'm sticking to my flat champs.

Thanks for the input guys. I decided to buy a Champion Firebird now for a backup since I use that disc so much in a given round. After hearing the input about the glide of the Star Firebird, I'm thinking of purchasing one of them as well. That might be later down the road though....

Latest posts