• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoulder pain

Cavere

Bogey Member
So after I started playing about two weeks ago. Last Thursday I started playing at least two rounds everyday and I'm a sidearm thrower. So I switched to backhand throwing on sunday after I got some shoulder soreness. I chalked it up to not throwing anything for a long time and just some strain from the forehand motion.

Basically anyone else get that shoulder pain that kinda radiates into the upper arm, and should I try to work through it or just rest for a few days and see how it feels? I've worked through a lot of injuries in the past, but trying to be smart with this one.

So let me get this straight...in two weeks time you went from basically never playing disc golf to playing at least 36 holes a day? Holy disc golf addiction! What part of the shoulder? Front, top, back? What kind of pain? Sharp, aching, tingling, burning?

well right now in my area the only course open is a public park with 12 holes so I generally put in 24-36 a day. When I get into something I go all out especially when I tend to have some natural ability.

The pain is more on the front top of the shoulder and it's not horribly sharp, more pulsing when it gets over worked. I'm still guessing it's just overworked from not throwing anything for a long time to hucking a disc 400' over and over.

Bend your knees more to use more lower body in your throws, if throwing RHFH, aim your left shoulder roughly at your target, to use more torso, and throw less stable discs (teebirds, esp xl's, valkyries,etc.) flat, rather than releasing crazy overstable discs with tons of torque/anhyzer. If you're going to play every day regardless, then switch it up with your driving styles. Alternate between forehand/backhand every other hole or every other day. It'll improve your game, save your hip and knee joints, and develop a really nice balance of muscle power.

Cavere said:
well right now in my area the only course open is a public park with 12 holes so I generally put in 24-36 a day. When I get into something I go all out especially when I tend to have some natural ability.

The pain is more on the front top of the shoulder and it's not horribly sharp, more pulsing when it gets over worked. I'm still guessing it's just overworked from not throwing anything for a long time to hucking a disc 400' over and over.

Top/front pain is typically rotator cuff tendonitis and/or bursitis. There is a reason MLB pitchers limit throws and don't pitch back to back games. It will only get better with rest, I'd rest it a week and see how it feels and warm up before throwing again. Ice, advil, and stretching will help with the pain and reduce inflammation quicker. Learning backhand will allow you to play more often as its easier on the joints and you can get more distance potentially.

I registered just to ask the same thing this threads original poster said since I've got the exact same symptoms,
except my pain has been there for quite a while now and I can't seem to get rid of it.

But first, a little bit of background:
Guess I have to mention that I'm a bit overweight, weighing 230 lbs at 5,9 feet.

I started playing discgolf actively back in 2012, and around July I picked up sidearm throw and basically threw nothing else ever since.
Some time in the end of last summer I had some horrible wrist pain on my hand which healed after a couple weeks of break and everything was fine.
Then, this season around May I threw a couple of real hard sidearm throws with a cold shoulder and not nearly enough stretching or anything and I pretty much broke the shoulder.
The pain was so great I could not play for a week, and the fool that I am decided to repeat this same mistake twice after that.
Now, I can't throw sidearms much at all, no more than two throws a round maximum. (And even then, 200 feet maximum)

My sidearm used to be in great shape last summer, I could throw 280 feet with ease and great accuracy, and all kinds of shots too like hyzers, anhyzers, turnover shots and flex shots.
Now I throw backhand around 320-330 feet and I usually go around the local 12-basket course from two to three times a day and just feel tired in the end of it.
I'm pretty happy with my accuracy but obviously I still have a long way to go, big distances to gain.
Backhand doesn't hurt at all, even if I go all out and throw the disc with the rage of a thousand suns, no problem.

Oh, and I've tried everything I can think of to fix this, such as taking a week's break, using sports drinks after practice to cool off,
using cold gel or icebags to cool the shoulder after practice when I'm in pain, stretching alot before practice and simply not using sidearm for quite a while.
I think I've forgotten my beautiful sidearm-technique from last summer, now when I try to throw any faster all discs,
even overstable ones tend to flip over to the left and end up as a roller, what's up with that? I haven't the faintest clue.

I'll try to apply the pointers Flick4D made a couple of posts above to my technique and see if I can get rid of my shoulder-ache.
Any further information regarding these kind of issues would be appreciated, I don't know all too much about sports injuries and this site seemed to be like a good place to ask.

I see my buddy the orthopedic surgeon today. I don't really have pain during a backhand throw, but long putts and forehand hurts. Affecting my sleep more than anything. Hoping a shot is al need. really don't want surgery. Hoping the fact that many movements are not painful means no cuff tear.

Ended up setting up a meeting with a doctor because of some back pain, got meds for muscle relaxation and pain.
Suddenly, backhand shots feel nicer than ever. I think I've tried to overdo it, trying to throw it fast, like the backhand.

Ah well, winter is good time to repair those overworked muscles (or train putting indoors errday all day).

1. ...long head biceps tenosynovitis
2. small superficial tear articular surface supraspinatus tendon. No evidence of a full-thickness cuff tear.
3. Mild degenerative irregularity of the superior labrum, No definite labral tear.

Dose pack, celebrex, and P.T. 3X week for 4.

Nice I was gonna say that 90% of rotator cuff injuries involve the supraspinatous tendon. I'd say start by keeping the disc low on sidearm throws. I'm mostly a sidearm player and I get low and throw from just above the hip (Jeremy Koling is a top pro who uses the same sidearm style). It takes some getting used to, but you can throw lasers out to 350+' without putting much stress at all on your shoulder. There's no need to throw from shoulder height because that stresses all axes of your shoulder. It's all about minimizing the stress put on those muscles.

Done with therapy. Got most of my mobility back. pain never went away completely. I have a decent amount the day after I throw. I have a DD 2 disc challenge tomorrow, then La. State Championships this weekend. Not sure I can throw 3 days in a row.

Latest posts