• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing injured—playing with your off hand

txmxer

* Ace Member *
How many have dealt with an injury by playing off handed? I'm a righty, recently did some damage to my right side, particularly my shoulder. Still working out the details but it's hurting after two weeks. I've had multiple injuries to it and one surgery, so no big surprise.

Trying to learn to play lefty, but it's awkward at best. On a good throw I get 150-200'. Did can a lefty 70' putt today while practicing. And missed several inside the circle. Badly.

Curious about similar experiences.

I messed up my index finger with a log splitter a few years ago. I sucked so badly with my left hand I went to a Bonopane grip until the finger healed.

Injured a disc in my neck that forced me to learn lefty for a couple months.
Putting wasn't an issue so i didn't spend much time learning that lefty

No lefty side arm—yet.

My putting is a bit like GG's putt.

The upside is i really concentrate on form and technique. I don't have the coordination to try and throw hard. I feel like I'm learning some things that might be helpful if I can get back to throwing righty at some point.

I'm a disabled veteran. I took two rounds through the right shoulder/collarbone area in Afghanistan back in 2012 and had multiple surgeries as a result. I'm right handed, even played Division 1 college baseball as a pitcher, so it was a little disheartening to discover disc golf and be unable to throw right handed. But they installed a course less than a mile from my house and multiple of my colleagues from work kept asking me to come play. So I tried it, right handed at first and it was impossibly stiff and painful. So I switched to left handed after a couple throws, and though atrocious, I had a blast. After a few weeks I started to notice the hip turn was a lot like swinging a baseball bat or golf club, found a grip that felt good, and started working on nose angle and pull through and after a couple weeks I was over 300 feet off the tee. A couple months in I was consistently in the 350's and after a year and a half started reaching 400. The hardest part for me was actually putting with my off hand. It took, and somewhat still is, a long time to find something that felt comfortable and repeatable. I suggest if you need to make the transition to the opposite hand, treat it like you are a complete beginner. Throw slow discs and understable plastic and build your throw from footwork up. Do a lot of standstill work. It will always feel awkward but great results can be had. I think I've already got 8 MA40 wins this year from playing old man golf and letting the bombers make mistakes. lol Good luck to anyone trying to make the change.

I'm a disabled veteran. I took two rounds through the right shoulder/collarbone area in Afghanistan back in 2012 and had multiple surgeries as a result. I'm right handed, even played Division 1 college baseball as a pitcher, so it was a little disheartening to discover disc golf and be unable to throw right handed. But they installed a course less than a mile from my house and multiple of my colleagues from work kept asking me to come play. So I tried it, right handed at first and it was impossibly stiff and painful. So I switched to left handed after a couple throws, and though atrocious, I had a blast. After a few weeks I started to notice the hip turn was a lot like swinging a baseball bat or golf club, found a grip that felt good, and started working on nose angle and pull through and after a couple weeks I was over 300 feet off the tee. A couple months in I was consistently in the 350's and after a year and a half started reaching 400. The hardest part for me was actually putting with my off hand. It took, and somewhat still is, a long time to find something that felt comfortable and repeatable. I suggest if you need to make the transition to the opposite hand, treat it like you are a complete beginner. Throw slow discs and understable plastic and build your throw from footwork up. Do a lot of standstill work. It will always feel awkward but great results can be had. I think I've already got 8 MA40 wins this year from playing old man golf and letting the bombers make mistakes. lol Good luck to anyone trying to make the change.

Thanks for your service and for sharing.

I played a handful of off hand rounds when my throwing hand was broken and recovering. Even with a cast I was tapping in with my dominant hand. 15' and in with probably a 80% success rate most days, still way better than off hand. You are right off handed putting and approach is tricky as hell.

Distance I picked up on, and agree the driving force from the hips and driving the elbow is much like swinging a bat, though I never played much ball beyond adolescence. I did top 300', treating it like a beginner, throwing 150g Cyclone for my main straight driver and a 150g star teebird for my stable driver.

I figured enough out to say that if I lost the use of my dominant arm/hand I would still be able to find joy in the game for sure. I do not believe I have the athleticism or coordination to ever be terribly competitive off handed. Wild to hear you made it far enough to be competitive in MA40 well done.

I played a handful of off hand rounds when my throwing hand was broken and recovering. Even with a cast I was tapping in with my dominant hand. 15' and in with probably a 80% success rate most days, still way better than off hand. You are right off handed putting and approach is tricky as hell.

Me and the Berg became really good friends early on. I could just launch that disc hard and straight at the band and still only have a 10-15 foot putt. Not to say the Berg isn't a good disc on it's own, but it was perfect for someone who was having a hard time with touch (due to opposite hand). I could throw one angle, one speed and get a repeatable result which helped immensely. Especially for those floaty runs from deep circle 2 or farther that go in occasionally.

As for putting, for a long time my putt wobbled like Ohn's does but didn't have much power behind it, especially from circle 2 where I'd have to throw it on a decent sweeping hyzer to get it to the basket. I bought a practice basket and started working hard on getting a consistent spin putt. I still miss a lot of putts into the face of the cage, but it's progress.

I can compete in MA40 in my area because I am familiar with the courses and put a lot of effort into landing zones and knowing exactly where I want to be, not getting aggressive, and making sure I get the birdies I know I can get. I'll still get smashed by the really solid MA40 guys and I'm ok with that, I just play my game and see where I finish. lol

If I throw too many distance drives or throw power shots with a disc with bad flashing, it rips the pad off my middle finger.

First time it happened was on hole 1 of 18 with a four person group and hour from home, and I didn't want to just bail on my buddies. So I finished out lefty (could still putt normally at least).

I threw awful, but by the end of the round I had a 200' backhand and 100' forehand, which was enough to have fun.

It's pretty cool starting from scratch. I've been meaning to do a form comparison between my RHBH and LHBH by ****s n giggles.

I've torn the rotator cuff on my right (throwing) shoulder and thrown lefty; it was a disaster. It was a bunch of 80' to 120' hyzers. The putting was worse. It was March when the injury happened and I stuck it out to August; it never got any better. I just went back to righty; the PT had my arm back to where the pain was manageable. The thing is that I'm a terrible athlete. I didn't play Div 1 baseball, I got cut from my hs team. So sliding scale; if you have the coordination and athleticism to do it, I've seen a bunch of people do it well. If you are an uncoordinated klutz? Eh, it will get you out of the house anyway.

Eh, it will get you out of the house anyway.

Fake it until you make it.

I'm far from ambidextrous but I'm hard headed, with not much else to do that I enjoy.

I wasn't particularly good at DG before, so it's all relative. If I do better next time, or maybe the time after that, then I'm happy.

Been there done that, throwing wrong handed with crutches is interesting, but it was still fun for me to just get out and play. Awful rounds by comparison to the past but if you have that much love for the game it doesn't matter.

Par becomes awesome! I was going to suggest something like a stable mid, understable is best for learning good technique and the the standard rec but a stable mid is good to get some basic mechanics and instant results. It helped with my enjoyment level. Screw technique, gonna learn the same way as last time...

Last edited:
the disc I was practicing with the other day was a Leopard. I like the shallower rim to minimize weird grip/release issues.

I've got an R-Pro Pig I'll probably use for putting. I'm trying to figure out a push putt for the most part. Something that comes out online and I just need to manage the vertical. I may even work on the horse shoe putt.

Spent the summer of 2017 in a cast on my throwing hand so I had no choice but to play lefty for a good 7 weeks or so. I've kept up with it somewhat as I utilize it for a variety of things. I like to throw left handed as a way to warm up my body for just general disc golf, along with putting, stretching and short shots.

Also, it gets cold in Michigan in the winter, but I don't let that stop me. I'll bundle up in snow gear and go practice putt on the coldest of days, and it's handy to be able to putt left handed. I'll putt righty till my hand gets cold, glove it, then putt lefty, vice versa, this way I can keep on putting in any temperature, even well below freezing. I also do this for throwing as well on some very cold days, I'll warm up lefty and let my whole body's furnace get going before switching over.

I have found that shallow, flat discs seem to agree with my off hand very well. Zones and Buzzzes are easier to throw. Same for drivers, I tend to like flatter drivers regardless of stability as they're easier to grip and release for whatever reason. I really like the Archer for throwing lefty, being understable, flatter and thin rimmed just felt right in the hand.

Last edited:
How many have dealt with an injury by playing off handed?

Curious about similar experiences.

I learned lefty years ago, not because of injury but because my forehand sucks, I never learned to throw anything growing up so it's not natural. Throwing lefty opens up a lot of opportunities in a round for me.

My main arm also happens to be seriously injured the last three months (tfcc tear) and the fact it hurt until recently just from light swinging meant I haven't been playing at all. Since I expect to be out of commission the rest of the year, I'll probably play lefty starting soon. Now I also get to learn lefty putting.

I'll update how it goes.

STAY AWAY FROM THE OFF HAND X STEP!!!!
(Unless you like falling down.)

As a veteran of throwing arm injuries, I can't stress that enough. Even though I practiced X stepping, when I tried throwing for real, muscle memory took over and it wasn't pretty. It wasn't even pretty funny. Set shots and putts were it for me after that.

I get to try and learn left handed for the next few months while my collar bone patches itself back up from me annihilating it biking. I have absolutely nothing on my right side at the moment. So, I am trying to re-learn putting using my left. It's wholly fascinating to watch since I haven't tried learning anything left-handed in years.