• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoulder soreness

Is it common knowledge to warm up before stretching? Every time I read stretching, I always think some guy is to start stretching straight out of their car before throwing. No bueno.

At my age, I have to stretch before warming up to stretch. It makes it tough getting to the playing stage.

I know, you're absolutely right. Nonetheless, I'll much better off doing light stretches right out of the car, which is what time constraints usually compel me to do, than none at all---and none at all recently resulted in a pulled muscle and 2 months on the shelf.

I'm sure all the younger, much more flexible guys can jump right in without stretching. I once did. Which is fine.....well, until the day it isn't anymore.

Yup, all good advice. Stretch and work on form. I am old and started getting shoulder pain as well. It turned out it was weight lifting too much at my age...... just in case you are into that. I now play DG as much as I want pain free. I dropped the amount of weight. More reps, less weight.

Well after a few days rest and shoulder pain gone I did more field work. I think my biggest problem was not warming up properly. I also improved my follow through. I was stopping too abruptly causing a little hyper extension at the joint.
I was only slightly sore after an hour of throwing and all pain gone by that evening.