• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Side arm disc for a noodle arm.

JohnEmery

Par Member
Sidearm/forehand discs for noodle arms? I have noticed that some discs, while excellent sidearm discs; destroyer, firebird, X cal, are not suitable for noodle arms. My wife is the noodle arm in question. Lightweight anything is the obvious choice. We both decline on the idea of anything blizzard, starlite, or 150 class. Reguar weights, nothing ultra lite. 165 to 175g.

Leopard, Saint, Volt, Mamba, Sidewinder, AvengerSS, Eagle-L, Valkyrie, Patriot, F7. The list keeps going.

Seeing that you have a Leopard. How does that work Sidearm?

I can't side arm a leopard with much confidence. Might be putting too much on it to be honest. She's had the best results with a 168g teebird, but we're looking for other suggestions. I sidearm out of desperation I think. Otherwise I'm all backhand. When I sidearm, it's 100 percent power. FAF 12x Teebird or XXX.

I can't side arm a leopard with much confidence. Might be putting too much on it to be honest. She's had the best results with a 168g teebird, but we're looking for other suggestions. I sidearm out of desperation I think. Otherwise I'm all backhand. When I sidearm, it's 100 percent power. FAF 12x Teebird or XXX.

Sooooo you're wanting less stable XXX?

Pinnacle Patriot if you want to buy a new disc.

I would personally recommend you spend more time with your Leopard working on a clean release. Every disc is capable of being thrown forehand. If you stay throwing Firebirds and XXXs that cover all your flaws, you'll never be able to trust your forehand.

Last edited:
I would personally recommend you spend more time with your Leopard working on a clean release. Every disc is capable of being thrown forehand. If you stay throwing Firebirds and XXXs that cover all your flaws, you'll never be able to trust your forehand.

:thmbup: I agree to stick with the Leopard. But If your dead set on getting something new get a FD, Rival or Eagle.

I have been trying to learn forehand for about a month and have found the vector to be a great tool. The profile isn't ideal, but the flight is very dependable. I also like forehanding volts and Teebirds.

There really is no such thing as a forehand only disc. Added stability will only hide form issues.

I would suggest a TL, maybe 167-168. They can handle some power, and the turn/fade is consistent. Also fairly slow to match "noodle arm speed"

To me sidearm discs are a lot like choosing putters, feel is more important than stability.

I sidearm Summits and Tursas (both pretty understable) pretty well but there are more stable discs that I just oat the hell out of because they are uncomfortable to grip.

I learned sidearm on DX eagle L's, anything would be good to start at about that speed/rim size. If you have a local shop it would be best to have her hold some to see what is comfortable.

Any disc you already throw backhand.

I can't stand crazy overstable stuff FH. Unless you're throwing 450+, it's a good way to wreck your arm.

Discs like the leopard are awesome FH, effortless line shaping

This. I'd say pairing a Pro Leopard and Champ Teebird could teach someone about all they need to know about throwing when starting out, backhand or forehand.

Avenger SS in FLX plastic - Champ Sidewinder - Champ Roadrunner - when she learns to get these flat and turn over slightly and then come back she can move up to something like a nice beat in Destroyer.

I remember starting off the Nuke SS. Also loved using the King and a beat in Flow. I often see people that don't have the arm trying to flex the o/s discs and they might get distance, but accuracy is not there.

Stick with a Teebird. Champion or Star. The Teebird is very forgiving IMHO and it can take a lot of torque without going screwy on you. And it responds very nicely to a lighter touch as well.

I also like an Orc or a Flash

Lat 64 Diamond, and if she's really struggling starting out, grab a buzz SS or comet depending on if she likes the feel of beaded discs or not. You can also just start with putters too, no reason not to, but most people never seem to actually want to do that (myself included) so those are my suggestions. Eventually work up to stuff like sidewinders, but stay away from anything over a 7 speed until she's getting the right flight from what she has.

Your leopard will tell you more about what you are doing WRONG than anything faster and more stable.

If you can sidearm a leopard, in a straight line, then your form is fine (generally speaking). If it flips over, turns too fast, noses up, whatever, then you need to adjust something before you go buy a boss and "erase" those mistakes.

Fixing it now, with slower speed discs, will reap huge dividends for years to come.

Latest posts