• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fussing over disc weights

I whole heartedly agree with your weight OCD. I have been carefully testing and studying weight difference. I prefer axiom and MVP in the 154-158g range for drivers 20g more for putters and mids. The gyro is more pronounced in the lighter weights and i can get better distance and control. I don't care for 150 class discs non gyro because they don't fly true to form and it is too random as to how discs that are identical to the naked eye fly different. I don't bother buying anything over 166g even to test out a new release, because I know I won't enjoy throwing it as much as I will the 154g version.
Now for the disclaimer. I'm in my 50's, weigh 290 and throw my ions and anodes 200 ft max and my Vanish is my longest disc at somewhere between 300 and 320. I use the discs and weights I use because they go exactly where I want and I stopped losing discs while saving strokes.

Grams matter; I'd like to meet the player who can turn over my 153g fireball or my 154g thrill

^^ this ^^

I throw 155g Mvp Waves as my main driver and I get a nice full s flight. When I throw max weight Waves I get a stable to overstable flight. 20 grams difference is very noticable in Mvp discs, other manufacturers maybe not so much. Plh is more important for Innova from what people post on this site.

In calm, no wind conditions, my Latitude 64 158g Diamond and Jade are my go to drivers. In more windy conditions I move up to a 166g Teebird or 171g Volt. I definitely have to adjust when throwing significantly different weights of drivers, mainly the release point.

Alex

Experience, were it unbiased, should have taught this to far more players than it has.

Huh, I've found exactly the opposite. Experience has taught me that weight matters. Sure, other things matter, too. But that doesn't mean weight doesn't.

Weight changes flight, resistance to wind, and a huge impact when linked with player power/speed. And here's an age tip...when you get older, your power/speed change. Good luck.

my view point is: try to be as consistant as possible. that being said im ultra ocd and i like all my discs to weigh the same and i use discs that are all the same diameter. lastly if molds share the same speed then they have to share the same bottom rim/wing. wrap your minds around that crazy stuff dgcr

lastly if molds share the same speed then they have to share the same bottom rim/wing. wrap your minds around that crazy stuff dgcr

DO NOT WRAP MINDS AROUND THIS NONSENSE!

This is not accurate.

But they CAN. I throw OLFs and Firebirds because they in fact do share the same wing (Thunderbird shares that wing too). So they CAN share a wing, but they don't have to.

Oh, the PD uses that same wing piece as well, and it is a Speed 10 (on paper).

Wrap your mind around that, man.

Huh, I've found exactly the opposite. Experience has taught me that weight matters. Sure, other things matter, too. But that doesn't mean weight doesn't.

Weight changes flight, resistance to wind, and a huge impact when linked with player power/speed. And here's an age tip...when you get older, your power/speed change. Good luck.

I'm huge on weights, I have also learned I don't enjoy the new releases in 169+ weights. I try not to be old haha ocd about it but it makes a difference to my game. After reading this I weighed a bunch of my discs and was pleasantly surprised my Signal that I haven't thrown much is a 166 and the Wave I'm having trouble getting up to speed is a 159.... I noticed a few other things but I won't go into it basically I have what I need.... Surprisingly going to have to reevaluate the archer.

It's good for my game to have my discs all 165ish my putters and drivers... when I practice it affects the general weight / carry of the disc and it is good for ranging. Even better for putting. Don't get me started on color I swore I'd never believe that crap...

DO NOT WRAP MINDS AROUND THIS NONSENSE!

This is not accurate.

But they CAN. I throw OLFs and Firebirds because they in fact do share the same wing (Thunderbird shares that wing too). So they CAN share a wing, but they don't have to.

Oh, the PD uses that same wing piece as well, and it is a Speed 10 (on paper).

Wrap your mind around that, man.

you must have mis read my post. this thread is about ocd'ing on the discs and those are my own personal rules. :doh: :wall:

my view point is: try to be as consistant as possible. that being said im ultra ocd and i like all my discs to weigh the same and i use discs that are all the same diameter. lastly if molds share the same speed then they have to share the same bottom rim/wing. wrap your minds around that crazy stuff dgcr

Like when Discraft tried to make the Challenger and ended up with the Zeppelin? #mindblown

I do but not as much as I did when I first started playing. Everything that had was MAX weight. I've learned that for the most part, I can throw any weight disc. Obviously, I'll continue to use MAX weight discs in situations where wind may be a factor or I want a shot to go straight or FINISH.

I've started paying attention to disc weight because my favorite disc, a Vibram Valley, is only a 165.

My noodle arm can get a 165-168 disc to closer to its intended flight path than a standard 171-177 disc. I have seen the "light", and found more success with a few lighter weight discs I've purchased in the last year. Now have a stack of heavier, high speed, more overstable discs to offload.

Weight does indeed change flight, I don't recall saying otherwise. However weight cannot be used to determine a disc's probable flight. Many of these anecdotes regarding lighter discs are instances of individual disc characteristics or imagination. Players will discover that a light disc flies better, assume that the weight is the reason, and buy a bunch of lighter discs believing they will all fly better. In fact every disc is unique.

Again, the entire range of stability for a particular mold is present at every stop along the full range of weights. It may be informative for many of you to observe radar speed measurements for light/heavy discs. Once you realize how miniscule the difference is, and how unpredictable mold performance is, no matter the weight, you may begin to treat each disc individually and quit looking at meaningless specifications such as weight and flight ratings.

...Again, the entire range of stability for a particular mold is present at every stop along the full range of weights. It may be informative for many of you to observe radar speed measurements for light/heavy discs. Once you realize how miniscule the difference is, and how unpredictable mold performance is, no matter the weight, you may begin to treat each disc individually and quit looking at meaningless specifications such as weight and flight ratings...

Wouldn't it be a bit more fair to say numbers and weights help narrow down choices and then a person can beware or limit expectations because discs can vary despite being the same weight, mold or flight numbers?

I mean, it is possible to know 155 is more comfortable to throw than 175, or that speeds below 12 are more predictable for a person, or that a certain stability is beyond a person's abilities. It saves me a ton of money to know some ranges and limitations

Wouldn't it be a bit more fair to say numbers and weights help narrow down choices and then a person can beware or limit expectations because discs can vary despite being the same weight, mold or flight numbers?

I mean, it is possible to know 155 is more comfortable to throw than 175, or that speeds below 12 are more predictable for a person, or that a certain stability is beyond a person's abilities. It saves me a ton of money to know some ranges and limitations

Numbers are absolutely useful for narrowing choices. As I said earlier they can be a rough guide when buying. The delusion that they carry a significant degree of precision is terribly common however, and does no service to anyone.

In the end, it depends on what you want from your discs. If you want to equip yourself to score as well as your skills allow, choosing discs is pretty easy. Differences in discs of the same mold are easily overcome with familiarity. If you want the discs to perform beyond your level of proficiency, as so many seem to want, you will keep studying weights and numbers and buying, buying, buying, falling for every new product or philosophy you encounter and placing blame for your lack of success on the intricacies and specifics of the product.

For drivers including fairway I like 170-172 grams. With putters max weight or 175 grams as is same with a few midranges, the slow and the mid speed ones exception is if they are over 175 grams for max then it is around 175 grams +1/-1 or so. The faster fairway like midrange/midrange like fairway disc 170-172 grams just like my drivers as those I use more in the faster part of my game. I do not like my Destroyers more then 170 grams max. 166-170 with anything under 170 grams is best though 170 grams is okay. That is a beefy power disc so lighter weight is better for that shot for a small guy.

https://youtu.be/CvpdTf_FjjM

That video uses science to prove that weight is indeed a very significant factor that should be considered along with other factors when choosing discs. Anyone will naturally throw a lighter weight disc faster which in turn affects the stability of the disc in flight. Not having an understanding of discs and their flight made me get frustrated and give up disc golf 15 years ago. Disc flight is very nuanced and I am still learning things but at least I have a decent grasp of it now and that makes all the difference!

Im no physics major by any means but lighter will go further, technically. Most of us do not live in areas where the air is thin enough to get away with lighter weight discs. I throw 165-181 depending on the discs. Heavier holds its path better in wind but too heavy and it won't go as far unless you can release it with Simon Lizotte arm speed and too light, the wind will knock it straight down or turn it over. older or younger people who do not have the arm strength need to go lighter and they will get more out of there game. Similar with different shafts in real golf. The technology in that case helps the weaker player keep up with stronger swings.

Disc golf isnt really about strength, its just a 160-175g disc. It's about technique and timing. I find that when I mix heavy and light discs my timing fails me. I often get late releases with lighter discs. I get way better consistency when I just bag heavy discs. FWIW I'm 5"7, 38 year old and very unathletic. Definitely not a natural talent