• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fussing over disc weights

Disc golf isnt really about strength, its just a 160-175g disc. It's about technique and timing. I find that when I mix heavy and light discs my timing fails me. I often get late releases with lighter discs. I get way better consistency when I just bag heavy discs. FWIW I'm 5"7, 38 year old and very unathletic. Definitely not a natural talent

Speaking of timing. Im going to try and focus on a tip I caught watching the GBO over the weekend. I want my reachback to be at its peak right when I plant my right foot to begin my release. Its just little micro adjustments in technique that can mean the world. Im not sure if my timing was ever that far off but I bet its very rare that I time both perfectly?? Something to think about when I practice....

Weight does indeed change flight, I don't recall saying otherwise. However weight cannot be used to determine a disc's probable flight. Many of these anecdotes regarding lighter discs are instances of individual disc characteristics or imagination. Players will discover that a light disc flies better, assume that the weight is the reason, and buy a bunch of lighter discs believing they will all fly better. In fact every disc is unique.

Again, the entire range of stability for a particular mold is present at every stop along the full range of weights. It may be informative for many of you to observe radar speed measurements for light/heavy discs. Once you realize how miniscule the difference is, and how unpredictable mold performance is, no matter the weight, you may begin to treat each disc individually and quit looking at meaningless specifications such as weight and flight ratings.

There isn't a smilie that rolls its eyes HARD enough to express how annoying condescension is. Get over yourself and stop trying to give "advice".

There isn't a smilie that rolls its eyes HARD enough to express how annoying condescension is. Get over yourself and stop trying to give "advice".

I wouldn't dream of giving advice to this crowd, sweet baby, and I don't think condescension a strong enough word. Try repugnance.