• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Weights

dbrodeanu

Bogey Member
Hello,

Quick question on disc golf weights. Why do they vary from X g to X g?

For example: 160-164g or 165-169g?

As I am looking to add another disc to my bag I like the 165g range for my drivers however, it shows up as 165-169g. Am I to assume that the disc that I purchase at this variable range will come at whatever they decide to put to my order? Meaning, I would have to wait until the disc came to my door to find out whether I got 165, 169 or somewhere in between?

It's not that big of a deal if it sits around that area as I like a bit lighter disc weight, but not too much as I do live in a pretty windy part of the US (Portland, OR). As long as I can get the disc around that area I should be happy, but I thought I'd ask as I normally went to the store to buy them, but stock is limited.

Thank you!

Cheers!

Some sites list a range, some sites list what the manufacturer marked, some sites scale the discs and show that along with the marked weight.

The weights are commonly off by up to 2 or 3 g's. So it is kind of a guess anyway. If it is a concern, I'd recommend looking at different retailers.

My experience with the "we measure/photograph every disc" retail sites is that even then, the discs are .5g - 1.0g heavier when I put them on my kitchen scale. This is NO BIG DEAL to me, it's more of a curiosity. I remember hearing the owner of OTB discs once explaining that it's very common for discs to arrive at the shop a little heavier than marked, as the new plastic had some time to interact with the air.

So now when I order from a retailer that shows a range of weights, I just expect it to be at the higher end (or a little bit above).

Hello,

Quick question on disc golf weights. Why do they vary from X g to X g?

For example: 160-164g or 165-169g?

As I am looking to add another disc to my bag I like the 165g range for my drivers however, it shows up as 165-169g. Am I to assume that the disc that I purchase at this variable range will come at whatever they decide to put to my order? Meaning, I would have to wait until the disc came to my door to find out whether I got 165, 169 or somewhere in between?

It's not that big of a deal if it sits around that area as I like a bit lighter disc weight, but not too much as I do live in a pretty windy part of the US (Portland, OR). As long as I can get the disc around that area I should be happy, but I thought I'd ask as I normally went to the store to buy them, but stock is limited.

Thank you!

Cheers!

Look at the next disc you buy....there may be a little sticker on the rim with weight information and that is usually a range. Sellers buy too many discs to weigh each one for accuracy, so they use the manufacturer's weight - if it is a range...then it is listed that way.

I doubt the manufacturer's have time to weigh every disc and prefer to list a range.

I've heard the manufactures measure stacks of discs at a time and use the average weight for the whole stack.

Perhaps that's not true, maybe they just dial in the parameters on the injection machine and assume the weight based on that.

Besides, a few grams difference one way or the other, isn't noticeable.

If you have two discs of the same mold and plastic, labeled with a range like 168-170, and they fly a bit differently, it's more due to differences in PLH or state of wear than it is a 2-3 gram weight difference.

I'd say weight differences become noticeable around 5g, and are pretty significant at about 10g.

AFAIK, no manufacturer labels discs ranging 5+ grams with the same weight label.

Look at the next disc you buy....there may be a little sticker on the rim with weight information and that is usually a range. Sellers buy too many discs to weigh each one for accuracy, so they use the manufacturer's weight - if it is a range...then it is listed that way.

I doubt the manufacturer's have time to weigh every disc and prefer to list a range.

I said this once and got bombarded with replies about Marshall Street weighing every disc they sell.

https://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/

Does anyone remember the person who got some discs at the wrong weights and took drastic measures to vent their frustration? I did a quick looksee but can't find it! :D

Does anyone remember the person who got some discs at the wrong weights and took drastic measures to vent their frustration? I did a quick looksee but can't find it! :D

Wasn't me but I did order a max weight Firebird from a prominent online store and they shipped me a 165 instead. My invoice was for a 175 and the disc they sent was inked 165 and I scaled it at 164.9. I didn't throw a fit though. I just kindly explained the error and they made it right.

For those of us who throw 150 and sub-150 drivers exclusively even 3g differences in the same mold can be readily apparent by differences in flight characteristics. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides, a few grams difference one way or the other, isn't noticeable.

If you have two discs of the same mold and plastic, labeled with a range like 168-170, and they fly a bit differently, it's more due to differences in PLH or state of wear than it is a 2-3 gram weight difference.

I'd say weight differences become noticeable around 5g, and are pretty significant at about 10g.

AFAIK, no manufacturer labels discs ranging 5+ grams with the same weight label.

So, then I should be pretty good picking from a range of 165g-170g and be pretty good?

Or if I want the lower end, 165g should I choose the 160g-164g range?

I just don't want to go too heavy as I'd like to have some distance in the throw, but I know that I need to still have some weight to the disc so that it doesn't get scooped up by the wind and completely decimated in the wrong direction.

Anyways, thanks so much for the help guys!

Eh, I ended up pulling the trigger on that weight range of 165-169.

The discs were half off (Factory Defects) and I'd rather have them and try them out, then not have them.

Bought:

- XCaliber
- Destroyer
- Wraith
- Valkyrie
- Firebird
- Roadrunner
- Tee-Bird
- Roc3
- Mako3

All in the 165-169 weight range and all of them in the Star plastic (my preferred plastic).

Wish they would have had at least a Beast and Thunderbird in there, but oh well, Ill check next time.

So, then I should be pretty good picking from a range of 165g-170g and be pretty good?

Or if I want the lower end, 165g should I choose the 160g-164g range?

I just don't want to go too heavy as I'd like to have some distance in the throw, but I know that I need to still have some weight to the disc so that it doesn't get scooped up by the wind and completely decimated in the wrong direction.

Anyways, thanks so much for the help guys!

To Riverdog's point, the lighter the disc, the bigger a difference each gram makes, because it's a greater proportion of the disc's weight in terms of percent change.

I bag six discs below 160g myself, and stand by what I said: 2-3g doesn't isn't as big a factor as wear or PLH. Even with weight right around 150, I start to notice differences of about 4-5 grams, but not 2-3. Maybe he's a more finely tuned machine than I. :eek: ;)

I'd tell you to look for the mold, plastic, and color you want, within the general weights ranges of:
Low 160's
Mid 160's
Upper 160's

...or whatever weight range you want.
Don't stress over a couple of grams.

To Riverdog's point, the lighter the disc, the bigger a difference each gram makes, because it's a greater proportion of the disc's weight in terms of percent change.

I bag six discs below 160g myself, and stand by what I said: 2-3g doesn't isn't as big a factor as wear or PLH. Even with weight right around 150, I start to notice differences of about 4-5 grams, but not 2-3. Maybe he's a more finely tuned machine than I. :eek: ;)

[emoji23]It's probably the several surgically repaired or replaced parts I'm toting around. [emoji106][emoji41][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk