• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sidearm Sally needs help!!

Megg

I am a "beginner" player..meaning I have been playing since the beginning of this year but haven't really gotten my groove. I have given up on backhand throws recently because I have no control or distance what-so-ever. I have been using the sidearm throw for every drive and some approaches...but would like to be able to strengthen my accuracy and control which should also help my distance. I have been playing with my boyfriend and some other really good players, but I am not grasping the techniques as well as I had hoped. No one that I have played with really throws sidearm so I don't have any help on how to become better.

I am using a low-weight Star Sidewinder which is my current favorite disc..basically because it feels the best in my hands. I am using a low-weight DX Shark for my midrange approaches and my DX Aviar putter.

Basically...I need help all around!! Any suggestions or tips would be helpful!!

don't get frustrated and give up...the game is about having fun and enjoying nature...the skills will come with time, until then, just enjoy the company...i'm sure your boyfriend does...

sorry i'm a backhander, can't give you any real advice

for backhand i'd trywatching some videos of pros on youtube or the discraft site to see their form for backhand stuff. Seeing how they throw and learning the x step should give you an idea of what a backhand should look like. For forehand - if you have one disc that works - start from there and see if you can make adjustments to gain extra distance. Learn about how the discs are supposed to behave and go from there. forehand throws should usually give you extra snap so a good forehand disc is not necessarily a great backhand disc. Tho if a sidewinder is working forehand - use that until you start turning it over.

Since you are just starting out I say to just try every different type of throw you can imagine. Throw it one way and throw it another, consider why the disc flew the way it did and what you may have done to make it fly that certain way, and naturally you will gravitate toward the stuff that you find is working and you grow comfortable with.

As a primarily forhand thrower as well...

I have found a couple disc's that I LOVE... My #1 go to Long range forhand driver in a light wind situation is a 150 class Discraft Flick... I can throw this disc a ton on a calm day... when the wind is light to moderate I go to my
168g Pro Destroyer or in a heavy wind I throw my 175g destroyer... I am very confident in these disc's in those conditions and I personally think that may be the biggest thing, get to a comfort zone... I am comfortable throwing the forhand, if that works for you use it. Hope this helps...

Josh

Do you ever play with other females? You might just think you're not getting better because you are comparing your abilities to good male players.

Here's my advice:

1. Go back to the backhand as you're primary. Focus on transferring all your body's weight from your left to right leg as you throw. This is the last and most important step of the x-step. Once you see results from using weight transferr you will want to learn the full x-step to get max power.

2. Learn how to use a tight power grip and don't "release" the disc but let it rip out of your fingers. This generates spin which equates to distance and accuracy.

3. Don't throw at 100% full power. This really throws off your accuracy. Concentrate on making smooth, accurate throws at about 80% full power.

4. Learn how to throw your sidewinder straight and level. Don't worry about learning any fancy shots until you can consistently throw the sidewinder straight and low. I would even use it for approach shots until you develop a consistent throw.

These are some of the things that have helped my wife. Every time she plays with other women it really helps her realize how good she really is.

Sounds to me like you are throwing a horrible disc to learn how to sidearm with. I would suggest getting a viking (innova disc). These are great for beginners to get the hang of sidearming because they are forgiving. They are not as fast which will probably play to your advantage once you get use to it a little bit.

Any of these innova disc are better for sidearming:

Viking
FL
Firebird
Orc
Starfire
Monster
Tee Rex
Max
Destroyer

At the top of the list are the slower disc. These will be easier to control then the ones at the bottom. With forehand throws you can generate a lot more spin. This can cause the disc to become even more nose sensitive then it already is among other problems. A destroyer or max requires a great deal of torque, speed and accuracy of release to throw properly. Some beginners might find that they instantly get more distance with one of these. In the end most end up disappointed because they can never get full control of the disc. Anything from the viking to the starfire are good starter sidearm disc, feel around and see if you don't like the way one feels in your hand.

Do give the disc a little while to break in. When new they will have a whole lot of fade at the end. Once they break in this because a little less and more predictable.

I guess a couple tips that might help you when out on the course are:

Keep it low. This is hard for the beginner player whether backhand or forehand. I personally always dip my body as I comes around on forehand throws. Either it is the motion of this movement or it is all in my head but my shoots stay way lower. Even if you don't do this exactly try to find a method that helps you to keep them lower. The higher it is the more distance you lose.

However you shoot try to keep all the motions smooth. Any jerking or uncertainty will cause you to lose distance or shank shoots. Mess around for a little while, practicing. Find a way that works and get smooth at it.

Most people who throw forehands find it easier to keep their elbow and upper arm some what tight to their side. This can help you to sink up your arm speed with the spin you put on the disc. I personally throw long shoots with my arm very extended. I have played a lot of other sports that got me use to this, it may not be something you want to do.

most players start out forehand. i did. it got me the distance i needed to play with my friends, i played with a forehand and practiced backhand and now i can throw both witch is a deadly weapon against people who can only throw 1 style

Latest posts