• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Sidewinder Thoughts?

Sidewinder thoughts?

• Total voters

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
People seem to either love or hate these discs. Let's see what the consensus says.

To me...
the sidewinder is amazing for the noobies...
it provides instant distance as it flies straight and has little fade. <- This is an illusion as it flies just as far, but it "straightens out" the fade into a straight flight and landing.

It's a very easy to throw disc....

I recommend it to almost all new throwers.....

But... with experience...
you graduate to the Beast or SL..... learn that a wraith is similar with a fade.... and either mothball it, or use it in very rare circumstances.
(i can say, however, that i does make a very useful fairway driver in lighter weights).

the introduction of the Katana has made it (virtually) obsolete.

I love the sidewinder for what it does, but in all honesty I don't throw it very often. I voted "love" but I wouldn't be devastated if I didn't have one.

Love it.

Hyzer Flip it 400+ (when I hit it right....)
Long turnovers.
Great Downhill/Downwind

I throw it often...

My brother is a fan of his sidewinder but it seems to be pretty inconsistent for him. I've never thrown one but I've generally heard good things about it.

Don't love it or hate it. I use a Beast instead of the Sidewinder.

I love it for a few specific situations, here's 3 I can think of off the top of my head:
Stand and deliver throws that have to go long and low.
Longer shots that must go right and my sidearm is blocked.
Rollers that stand up and transition really quickly.

I wouldn't try to use it as a jack of all trades driver- play your disc's strengths, not their weakness.

I thought I read that last option as "never throw", not "thrown". I have thrown them in the past, but do not anymore. A sidewinder is a good disc, but was never my "go to" disc.

I voted no opinion...
I own one, but it was a gift, w/ a unque dye, so it stays at home.

Being fairly new, I enjoy my sidewinder, however here lately it reallys seems everytime I throw it, I seem to be going way to the right, which from what I have been told is what it is supposed to do, but I don't seem to have the accuracy I would like. I also throw a Road Runner, which seems to do about the same thing only not near as bad.

I didn't vote because I'm conflicted. It used to be my "go to" driver, but lately I've been turning them over w/o them coming back so I switched to a Wraith for most of my distance drives and it's been doing a much better job than the Sidewinder. In fact, of the two Sidewinders that I had, I just traded one away yesterday. Maybe if I beat the other one in enough I can use it as a roller.

I voted hate. Its not that I really hate it though. I had one for awhile, never really did anything remarkable. And I had other discs I threw much more consistently. I lost it. Don't miss it.

The sidewinder was a pretty amazing learning tool for me, and was my primary distance driver for a summer a couple years ago.

I forced myself to throw them to learn hyzerflip distance lines, and to help my form by throwing flattened hyzers and long hyzers that didn't flip up.

I can't say they are a great disc because I think the roadrunner and leopard are better at what the sidewinder wants to do, but it can be useful depending on the thrower and what they are trying to get out of the disc.

It's a great driver or fairway disc for people throwing in the 250' range.
At that distance, it will turnover slightly and come back, giving it enormous glide.
If you throw longer than that, say 325' or greater, then it becomes a great roller or flip hyzer disc.
I'm kinda in-between, so the Sidewinder got replaced by a Crush.
It is still a great disc for players without a lot of distance.

Hate. It encourages people to start powering down once they throw 280' or so to keep control and that makes learning to throw past that difficult. There are so many better options out there that don't get squirrley so there's no reason to throw one.

I used to love my sidewinder, but when I started throwing past about 275' it got really unpredictable for me so I put it away.

I'm a weenie arm who throws lots of sidewinders. I've found an enormous difference between the Star & Champion Sidewinders, at equal weights, to the point that I consider them 2 different discs.

Throwing under 300', I find the Stars to excellent long straight discs when new, aging into gentle turnover discs (RHBH). The Champions, on the other hand, are flippy out of the box and useful for me for long, sharp anhyzer shots.

I can't see people with 350+ arms throwing them, especially the Champs.

Latest posts